XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface

Update

I checked continuity from BII to Volumite. All showed zero resistance. Decided anyway to disconnect and reconnect. Now with volumite connected I get no output.

I then disconnected volumite and went from balanced outs to a separate ventus set-up. Headphones work fine.

I also checked to see HP output on Legato III with volumite connected and disconnected. No output. Looks like I have 2 problems. I will check later to see if it just the HP out or it is also true of SE on Legato III.

Right now I will focus on volumite. When I have it powered I get 3.2V or so on SCL and .50mV on SCD regardless of where I turn my control knob.

Thoughts and thanks

Sorry about post 241 - it should be in TP support.

Regarding synchronous clocking - makes me like Lucian's board even more. To my ears through my Denon headphones I find more detail without a loss of warmth and a tighter deeper bass. Listening through the speakers will be next.

System is Mac to XMOS board to BII ang Legato to headphones

Best

May I repeat phase noise [dBc/Hz] values released by each manufacturer for your interest?

NDK NZ2520SD(26MHz)_________________ Crystek CCHD-957(22.5792,24.576MHz)
1Hz__: max _-76, min _-81 __________ N/A
10Hz_: max -108, min -111 ___________ -98
100Hz: max -136, min -138 __________ -126
1kHz_: max -151, min -152 __________ -149
10kHz: max -156, min -157 __________ -162

<Sources> NDK NZ2520SD - Document obtained from NDK sales section
Crystek CCHD-957 http://www.crystek.com/crystal/spec-sheets/clock/CCHD-957.pdf

From my perspective, I like both options. That's why in the next revision I made the decision to support Crysteks, NDKs and even FOX oscillators alike.... at least from the footprint's point of view :)

It's a good approach! I think it's wonderful that we can select variety of devices and experience differences.

Something like X xxxx O appears

Thank you very much for your observation. It must be a "FOX XpressO".

Do your wire connections on Volumite match your wire connections on BII .Your SCL is not suppose to have the voltage , the VDCC should have that 3.5V , it could be that your wires are installed backwards .
this is reference to post " 241 "

Last edited:
it has the same voltage because it is used as the reference voltage which is compared to the voltage that has been attenuated and sent to the ADC, converted to digital for the digital volume control level. if you are using the volumite, its quite important =)

Last edited:
hmm actually i'm not sure now, i just checked the volumite datasheet to be sure as its been a while since i measured those to feel out the interaction and its an input and an output. one of pin descriptions on the volumite DS mentions AREF, but theres also a number of other descriptions including SDA. i need to measure it to confirm

nope, its pin 3 on the dip that connects to the output of the pot and thus changes with the position of it. SDA and SCL stay roughly the same as each other, but yeah pretty sure its a reference voltage to compare against the output of the pot. could be totally off base, but just to confirm, theres nothing wrong if you have ~3.3 on SDA

Thanks to all who have given suggestions and guidance

The pot does change resistance as you rotate it.

I installed BII microP. No Volumite. I get sound of max volume out balanced, SE and headphone outputs.

Removed BII microP. Shortened leads from BII to Volumite to about 1 inch. Remotely mounted pot with 8 inch leads. Fired it up. I get max volume out regardless of where pot is set.

No apparent shorts between V,Gnd, SCL, SDA

It appears that Volumite is not reprogramming(changing volume of ESS chip

Lucian I started a discussion at TP Volumite support if you rather we discuss it there. Bottom line is that I think your board is excellent and I like synchronous clocking.

are you sure you are using the right volumite firmware dip? in the beginning you needed a different DIP for volumite and the standard dac dip and when the standard dac dip was used on the volumite you couldnt adjust the volume. i'm saying thats your problem, you need to go buy the latest firmware, which will do both