XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface

@ rolls: the LiFeO4 would be adventurous for many of us but after you'll see that parts with a tight working voltage destroyed because the battery pack couldn't keep that voltage then things would be otherwise than.... fun.
For example, the LP5900 used on WaveIO is the most sensitive regulator on that board. If you'll cross the 5.7V boundary (or so) then it will short itself. Not all of them but the one closest to the power rail. Even if I do share your opinion that "the best regs is no regs" It will not be fun for me to repair a lot of WaveIOs having damaged parts just because I dare to design a board without something to "hold on" the incoming power supply and source a stable voltage to any related logic that's wired to it. In this case, the regs used on WaveIO could be 'blamed' to stretch the life of any board I make and ship around the world.

@ phuongdk: first make sure that WaveIO will fits into your case :) Secondly, on WaveIO you have to choose two I2S ports: the isolated and non-isolated one. If you're using a third board, with recloking and isolation on it then there's no point in using the isolated port on WaveIO. Otherwise, for the start you can use the isolated I2S signals. Regardless of the I2S ports used, the signal names are straight forward and printed on the top and bottom silk screen of WaveIO. If you have any troubles regarding connections just ask for more help or PM me.

@ Shutdown98http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/members/phuongdk.html: No :)
@ carsten.witthttp://www.diyaudio.com/forums/members/shutdown98.html: Sadly No :( WaveIO is in the same case like Soekris DAC: there's no external / isolated PSU on WaveIO to power up the secondary side of the isolator. Given this, you'll need to build up a separate 3.3Vdc PSU which will solve your problems.
P.S.: you could use one of the WaveIO's on-board 3.3V regulators for that but you need to be sure the new load will not became a burden for the whole board.

Kind regards,
L http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/members/phuongdk.html

Sorry change of topic, and I'm looking for help - this forum seems to be the place for WaveIO, tons of good information. But I can't find any postings that fall into my situation. I'm using the WaveIO board in conjunction with DDDAC 1794, and it works very well. Sounds beautiful, very glad I built this system.

What isn't working are the Sample Rate signals. Host Active and Audio Streaming work as expected. But the actual L1 to L6 lines do not show 3.3V as expected during playback. On power up now and then a random line will go high until I start playback. Then back to 0V. I've tried multiple bitrate files and no success. I've disconnected the LED board from the DDAC and am just reading the voltage directly from the WaveIO header J9.

Any thoughts or help greatly appreciated.
Regards, Michael

What isn't working are the Sample Rate signals. Host Active and Audio Streaming work as expected. But the actual L1 to L6 lines do not show 3.3V as expected during playback. On power up now and then a random line will go high until I start playback. Then back to 0V.

Are you using a Linux based system for playback? Unfortunately the sample rate signalling is broken since kernel release 3.10; it usually works under Windows. My system shows exactly the same behaviour.

I have a pc with Daphile connected trough a home made usb cable without the 5v line.
Data+, data- and ground are connected.
Lately i am having issues.
Playback stops at a random point and after reboot the waveio is not recognised.
Sometimes it helps powering off the whole set and reboot.
I found out that a normal usb cable always works.
I understoud that the waveio did not need the 5v line? Or am i wrong?
It dit work before.
I am using the isokated output so i guess i can put in the 5v cable also, but i like the fact that i don't :)

I have a pc with Daphile connected trough a home made usb cable without the 5v line.
Data+, data- and ground are connected.
Lately i am having issues.
Playback stops at a random point and after reboot the waveio is not recognised.
Sometimes it helps powering off the whole set and reboot.
I found out that a normal usb cable always works.
I understoud that the waveio did not need the 5v line? Or am i wrong?
It dit work before.
I am using the isokated output so i guess i can put in the 5v cable also, but i like the fact that i don't :)
I found the same. Had to keep both +5v and ground connected

@ Shutdown98: if it's not way too late, I want to say that I've notice many "older" WaveIO cards encounter problems with connections due to parasitic resistances that are forming in time. Despite the fact that I'm using parts with gold plated contacts for USB connector and pin headers, I cannot defeat what usually can happen in a rather wet environment. In my case the USB cable which is used to test all WaveIO I make, at some point did act strangely, all this because the thin gold layer on related contacts simply vanished due multiple insertions. Maybe this happened in your case too! In addition, for a low frequency signal this could not be a 'huge' problem but USB signals are 'quite' sensitive with this regard. A fast replace of USB cable might or might not help you since the USB connector on WaveIO can be affected too.
I ran a couple of tests without USB +5V connected and all should be okay thus I really doubt your WaveIO has self-changed lately. If you like the idea, you can choose the other USB port to connect your WaveIO to host (PC/MAC/etc) but this time you can solder a USB wire directly on the pin header. If you'll do it properly and take care to not break any wire with mechanical force then there should be no problems on a long time... Here, a properly chosen heat shrink sleeve should do the trick!
On my side I saw that pin-headers are not up to the level I expect so I might reconsider them for 'heavy task' in the future.
I hope it helps,
L

P.S. Thank you Walter!

Last edited:
Hi Lorien,

I have also faced the exact same problem with many devices that use USB connectors to send audio / video signals.. not an easy thing to fix... and I also ended-up soldering the USB wires straight to the headers (or via's that could be found very close to the actual USB connector).

By the way, your WaveIO broads sound wonderful. I tried them with DDDAC I just finished, as well as with some other I2S DAC's I have.... very nice!

Nick

Hello Lorien
I did not fix my cable yet :)
Actually i did change the usb connectors on the usb cable to try to fix the problem .
And i thought it helped... But it didn't.
I can play for days without a glitch. Funny thing is that playback stops most of the time with 24/192 material.
After that sound card is not found in Daphile. Several reboots and a lot of patience are needed to solve it.
But when i change to a normal usb cable it is instantly fixed.
I am now playing with a normal cable and all is well.

I will keep this for a week or so and see if it is stable.
After that i think i can test my diy silver cable with 5v attached.
And see what happens...
i will report back.

I think the proper impedance of a USB cable is 90 ohms. The single shielded twisted pair (out of total of 4) from cat6e Ethernet cable will be 100ohms if I'm correct. Try that, for data + and data - and see if it fixes the problem....

It is indeed nominally 90 ohms for USB & 100 for Ethernet. I've successfully used an Ethernet TP for the D+/D- in a DIY'd USB cable, the only snag being that it wasn't mechanically robust. Though I didn't fit a +5v line, only a Gnd, the cable was fine at 44.1. Until it snapped . . .

But I could have solved that one.

Jumper is set correctly :)

Normal usb cable is not stable also. Music stops randomly wile playing 24bit 192khz material. All other (high-res) material (up to 24 bit 96khz) is playing fine. I don't play dsd files so 24-192 is the highest i have.
But when a 192khz song is played it stops in that song.
The waveio needs a power down to be recognized again by the Daphile pc.

Maybe the usb cable has nothing to do with it? could it be the high-res material?