XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface

Hi Eldam
In this supply I used 70R 1/2W PRP resistor. Looking back at it, I realize it is only CRC. I may go back and try it with CRCRC or even CLCRC with a filament choke. I did this on the +15v supply to the 1541a with good results. Thanks for causing me to look closer. :)
I pretty much used what I had on hand. A good engineer would have done all the math and simulations so I will not be offended if others chime in to suggest an alternate approach. I kept in mind the advice from ECDESIGNS to keep transformer small. I used a small 6VA Hammond 229 here wired for 12v output. I had to balance keep resistor small to still get enough current to drive the Salas shunt.

Ryelands
Thanks for this add. I think I will keep playing around with this. On the WaveIO 5V PS, I too went CLC repurposing a Peter Daniel supply. It did have a very noticible improvement over a simpler linear supply that used a standard bridge and CRC.

This one just supplies the 5V to the WaveIO isolator. I think it is time to try a choke. Had really good success with choke on the +15V supply inspired by the DDDAC thread.

Attachments

• audiosector_PS.jpg
    audiosector_PS.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 469
Can anyone tell me the type of connector for the J6 isolated output: what part number is it for Farnell, or otherwise, what the name/specs are?
  • [I understand from the Wave-IO instruction sheet, that the on-board U-FL connectors are only there for Lucien to test with them; we users should preferably use the isolated outputs]

albert

Lucien informed me the connector is of the type:

10P IDC 2.54mm; and I saw this generally is used for flat cable.

see for instance this FleeBay cable

Separate solderable female connectors are also available. Then you can connect your own coax to it.
See 10Pin 2.54mm Double Row Female Straight Header

I expect a flat cable to work: computers and CD's use them too :confused:
Anyway it might be convenient.
I checked the connector to work with one from a Philips CD player.

The interesting part is they are all 50 ohms; but the damping factor differs; on 5cm the effect should be negligible.

More important is to have a correct damping at the receiving side (such as with a 5-10 ohm resistance in series).
Some TDA1541 schema's I have seen have the damping approach (series), and I remember ECDesigns did that too.
But probably even better is a true termination of the 50 ohm HF line (50 ohm SMD-1nF??). There are no boards I know that have that.

Then of course I myself did it once, but I can't measure anything like that and it always sounds good (the Newness Effect).

After reading again the impressions saying that non-isolated output sounds better i can't help but want to try it. Although i already tried once and burned I2S multiplexers on my Buffalo dac. Maybe i should ensure that capacitors are fully discharged and measure voltage on signal wires before connecting to be sure..

Anyway - if i connect non-isolated outputs to DAC, do i have to connect ground of those mini-coaxials to dac signal ground? Or it mostly serve as shielding there?

Last edited:
Ryelands
Thanks for this add. I think I will keep playing around with this. On the WaveIO 5V PS, I too went CLC repurposing a Peter Daniel supply. It did have a very noticible improvement over a simpler linear supply that used a standard bridge and CRC.

This one just supplies the 5V to the WaveIO isolator. I think it is time to try a choke. Had really good success with choke on the +15V supply inspired by the DDDAC thread.

Hi Wlowes, I would look at a bit more capacitance. This was designed for 50mA or so draw. your load peaks at nearly 10 times that.

Thanks Luke, right you are.
I did rebuild it with different caps & resistors to accommodate the 10x current. I am still tinkering with all of the supplies to the WaveIO and 1541a and having good results with clclcl.. filters employing 12mh high current inductors and large # of Panasonic FC 1800uf caps. I'll post findings when done.

Thanks Luke, right you are.
I did rebuild it with different caps & resistors to accommodate the 10x current. I am still tinkering with all of the supplies to the WaveIO and 1541a and having good results with clclcl.. filters employing 12mh high current inductors and large # of Panasonic FC 1800uf caps. I'll post findings when done.

thanks for the idea, I'm finally getting a bom together for my dac, its been a while now. I will order some common mode chokes for mine as well.

Did you not use regulators on your tda1541? I remember someone on the forums saying they preferred clc and no reg.

Hi Lorien,

Please support AD1862 20 bit NOS mode. (for example firmware image)
(right justified - 20 bit NOS mode)

Thanks.
Will do!

Hi Lorien,
Would you please left a text log of driver version on "Downloads & Infos" on you webpage? I think it is good for the owners to learn if there is a new driver available before asking you directly.
I put some text describing the latest driver version available to use, thank you for the hint!

Speaking of drivers, I got 3.00 pack and I'll customize it soon enough. I'll get back to you when I have a stable/tested versions so don't flood me with requests :). From what I know, with 3.00 drivers, all support for older Windows up to Vista (included) was deprecated.

From 3.00, only Windows 7 and up will get "attention".
Regards,
L

I will order some common mode chokes for mine as well.

Did you not use regulators on your tda1541? I remember someone on the forums saying they preferred clc and no reg.

I use salas shunts on 1541a and on waveio isolator. Did not want to risk the 1541a chip.
actually using fixed radial lead inductors inspired by ecdesigns PS. Found them at surplus but similar to digi part 445-3823-ND. well worth the extra space and effort.

I use salas shunts on 1541a and on waveio isolator.

To update, my PSU problem seems to be in the -15v circuit only; the +/-5 lines are stable. New trimpots have arrived that will (hopefully) set the correct OP values. One thing at a time.

Meanwile, just to note that upgrading resistors and adding by-pass caps in the Lampizator I/V stage as recommended in your blog is a top notch suggestion. My eyesight is no longer up to making Managnin resistors but Charcrofts (aka Vishay VAR-Series "naked" Z201 Z-foils) proved easy to fit and very well worth the effort. Thanks!