XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface

Regarding BII and Tridents and ferrites, check the page no. 9 of the following document;
http://www.twistedpearaudio.com/docs/community_docs/leonvb-Buffalo_Integration_Guide_V1.0.5.pdf

Have audiophiles here already referenced the following "HiFiDUINO" blog page by "glt"?
BII 80MHz + 352.8KHz Audio + Silence = Noise H i F i D U I N O

The blog page has the excellent pictures and explanations.
dsc_0387.jpg

dsc_0397-2.jpg

Again to all of you thanks for the information.

My plan is to pull my PH regulator to clock and solder Master clock from Lucian's board to BII. I'll do it this weekend if my eyes are comfortable with small and tight locations.

Separate question - has anyone tried a PH reg or similar to power clocks on XMOS board.

I use two Trident regulators, running from a separate +5V supply (a linear pre regulator) and separate transformer to power the oscillators on my XMOS based USB board. Definitely resulted in a bit of improvement, as everything at this level tends to. Remember, when you switch to synchronous clocking, the jitter will be the result of the jitter on the USB board, so anything one can do to reduce that jitter to the absolute minimum will be an improvement. Paul Hynes regs might be even better...

I use two Trident regulators, running from a separate +5V supply (a linear pre regulator) and separate transformer to power the oscillators on my XMOS based USB board. Definitely resulted in a bit of improvement, as everything at this level tends to. Remember, when you switch to synchronous clocking, the jitter will be the result of the jitter on the USB board, so anything one can do to reduce that jitter to the absolute minimum will be an improvement. Paul Hynes regs might be even better...

Thanks barrows

I will have the PH reg I pull from the Buffalo and another from my previous HiFace setup + the PH pre-regulator so this may be an option for me.

After i to the sync set-up I will look into the shunts for the clocks

Clocks...

Are discussed earlier in the thread. With NDK being the preferred option. the specs of the NDKs are very good, better than Crystek CCHD-957s. But Lorien noted that the NDKs are hard to get. Hence, I think he went with Fox?
If one can get NDK, they should be better, and fit the same footprint.

For such a high price for that cchd-757 one would assume it was better than...
Having the NDK on this card it's one less thing to ponder on .

On another note . , i have installed a standalone 5V regulator replacing my PC'S usb2 output to WaveIO, it was not necessary after all, similar quality sound coming out either way. My PC's power supply is highly efficient and never drifted enough to substantiate a standalone regulator, least now i know, next thing i will try out is, isolating my usb2 cables from the pc with it's own standalone 5V, that's if it has noise, i wonder about that as well ,PH. regulators vs Trident might yield different results,i use them to control Mojo2 and that's another story . i'm thinking this card is already up to snuff, if one is in synchronous mode and use a separate regulator driving the card if incoming power supply is questionable, then both mods are a worthwhile move to reduce noise.
regards
rol

For such a high price for that cchd-957 one would assume it was better than...
Having the NDK on this card it's one less thing to ponder on .

On another note . , i have installed a standalone 5V regulator replacing my PC'S usb2 output to WaveIO, it was not necessary after all, similar quality sound coming out either way. My PC's power supply is highly efficient and never drifted enough to substantiate a standalone regulator, least now i know, next thing i will try out is, isolating my usb2 cables from the pc with it's own standalone 5V, that's if it has noise, i wonder about that as well ,PH. regulators vs Trident might yield different results,i use them to control Mojo2 and that's another story . i'm thinking this card is already up to snuff, if one is in synchronous mode and use a separate regulator driving the card if incoming power supply is questionable, then both mods are a worthwhile move to reduce noise.
regards
rol

Upgrading clocks is certainly an option, but one needs to be careful on their selection. The specs on the clock may not tell the whole story. A case can be made for an isolated power supply and clock too.

Would a TENT VXCO clock (Guido Tent) of 11.28960 not be a perfect replacement? Extreme low jitter. The separate power supply can be bought too. You can use his special high frequency shunts too.
For playback of standard CD's (44.1 KHz and occasional special recordings of 88.2 KHz) this replacing the main clock is enough to start off.
Own recorded (i.e. sampled LP's) can stick with the other clock - that is used anyway to record if I understand correctly). This then is a later candidate.

• Should the 12.0000 MHz clock have to be replaced too?

albert

11.28960 MHz would not be a replacement for any osc on that board. You'll need oscillators with two values only: 22.5792 MHz and 24.576 Mhz.
13 MHz (not 12 Mhz) crystal replacement: it's used by XMOS's PLL to lift the internal freq at 400 MHz. If you want, you can replace the whole circuit with any 13 MHz oscillator you like that works at 3.3V (to take advantage of on-board PSU) though, taking into consideration the internal XMOS architecture, all the signals are realigned using the corresponding Master clock signal which in WaveIO's case are: 22.5792 MHz and 22.576 MHz parts.
Cheers,
L

11.28960 MHz would not be a replacement for any osc on that board. You'll need oscillators with two values only: 22.5792 MHz and 24.576 Mhz.
13 MHz (not 12 Mhz) crystal replacement: it's used by XMOS's PLL to lift the internal freq at 400 MHz. If you want, you can replace the whole circuit with any 13 MHz oscillator you like that works at 3.3V (to take advantage of on-board PSU) though, taking into consideration the internal XMOS architecture, all the signals are realigned using the corresponding Master clock signal which in WaveIO's case are: 22.5792 MHz and 22.576 MHz parts.
Cheers,
L

I see. Had it wrong in my head :headbash:
Then as TENT XO, there is indeed available 22.5792 MHz and 24.5760 MHz . Is that better then, can these be fed from a separate supply without disturbing the existing architecture?
Or is the advantage limited?
albert

PSUs can be improved but you have to desolder the main oscillators (22.5792 and 24.576) from WaveIO board using a hot air station (preferably). Also, I could leave them unmounted, at your request. This way, you can build your nice setup on top of WaveIO board using the shortest connections you're able to provide.
Limits: WaveIO has common ground with the source and this is something I will address on the revision. Even so, in my opinion it worths the try.
L

Upgrading clocks is certainly an option, but one needs to be careful on their selection. The specs on the clock may not tell the whole story. A case can be made for an isolated power supply and clock too.

-with hirez asynch usb where the usb ground(computer) is shared with the clocks power supply, I think there is a limit of return as far as clock quality. The power supply regulation is only as good as its reference which in case of hirez asynch usb isn't going to be spectacular even with a separate power supply it really isn't separate. Until there comes a reliable USB 2.0 480 isolation for asynch operation this will be an issue with all these devices.

Now RBCD asynch USB1.0 is a whole different ballgame where the isolation on the asynch side is reliable and proven, this opens up an entirely different realm of quality. For example IME a usb side isolated asynch USB1.0 to spdif device I bought sounds better with dithered/downsampled hdtracks than my other non usb side isolated asynch USB2.0 to galvanically isolated i2s device.

This is why I still think we are jumping the gun with USB2.0 "hi-rez" usb, should be designing and optimizing USB1.0 asynch USB RBCD, but unfortunately hirez marketing sells with these things (even if it doesn't as far as actual music.)

Working Synchronously

Thanks to all your help I was able to muster the courage and hook up Lucian's XMOS board's clock to my Buffalo II. Works well.

The only unexpected outcome is that the Volumite stopped working. I think it gets a clock feed from the BII. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Best

Bob