XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface

In my experience it is very important for user who have installed the Audiophile Optimizer first to run the Service Tool and to reset all AO settings.
Then uninstall the old driver. Now it is no problem to install the new WaveIO driver.
I got this update problem also updating to 2.15 because i did not think about running the AO Service tool before.
I you forget this, you never in the future can uninstall the old driver and install the new.
My luck was that I could go back to the system status before the unsucessful driver update because I have made a Acronis backup before.
If you do not have a backup, i think you have to make a complete new installation of the operating system (OS).

Last edited:
What does this new driver do that the old one didn't Lorien?

I'm running window 8.1 and found that the last driver doesn't work that well. Fine while playing music but switching between apps often there would be a lot of white noise from the speakers as the driver switched from one app to the next, this also happens when the system boots. Sometimes an app can't play to the driver at all and the system has to be re-booted, is this the reason for the update?

Also I've never been quite sure on the best way to configure the driver and the windows settings for 'best practice' with you excellent card, maybe a little tutorial on your site might be good?

Thanks for your continued support of this brilliant interface, shame the daughter card seems to have died though.

Stefan

Jumper Configuration

I got the Io today but cannot get the driver to install on usb input power. I have just noticed that J8 is shorted between EXT and BRD. Do I need to delink to get it working?

There is also no information on external voltage to be supplied. Any help will be appreciated.:confused:

I have just noticed that J8 is shorted between EXT and BRD. Do I need to delink to get it working?

That setting selects the on-board USB B socket as input, which I presume is what you want. The other setting is for off-board connectors.

There is also no information on external voltage to be supplied. Any help will be appreciated.

Connect J12 1 & 2 to use USB power and J12 2 & 3 to use external power via the terminal block immediately to its right (+5 volts, polarity as marked).

HTH

Curious thing about XMOS Drivers

I have several XMOS devices. I also have the original TSUSB 1.61 driver pack from Thyscon.

Every device I have works on 1.61 except for the WaveIO, which has to use Lucians supplied driver. On some devices, I can fool it to use XMOS 2.15 but this only lasts for as long as the device is connected. After that, the device becomes 'not recognised'.

I have emailed Lucian on this, and he has the same kind of experience. Does any one know why, and how to get round the Customisation requirements? Simply renaming the elements doesn't work at all.

The beauty with the 1.61 driver pack is that I get a complete Control Panel, plus the Spy Tool that tells a lot about USB behaviour including streaming error. All this is gone with non Theyscon labelled drivers that I get from vendors.

Lucian's version does have a simlified Control Panel.

Sample rate LEDs not working

Hello to All,

I'm a long time viewer of this thread and bought a WaveIO module late 2012 to use as stand-alone S/PDIF converter because I was convinced by the positive feedback in this forum.

QFPpVqs.jpg

The WaveIO, even in S/PDIF mode, made a noticeable difference compared to the VLink II I was using at that time. It was further improved by interfacing it with a Mutec MC-3+ with external RB clock.

The WaveIO is working flawlessly since I bought it. But a few weeks ago it started to manifest a very strange phenomenon, which is the reason I signed up to this forum finally and am now posting this message.

Some weeks ago, the sample rate LEDs stopped working (HOST and LINK LEDs are normal). I suspected faulty soldering on my part, but on dismantling found every LED connection in sound condition. During bootup, WaveIO flashes all LEDs briefly, so I know they are still functioning. These LEDs were operated between 0.75 to 1.25 mA, so I don't think the drivers are overloaded.

And now the strangest thing: I normally operate the WaveIO plugged into a Linux computer (Voyage MPD). Recently I connected it to a Windows laptop to upgrade the XMOS firmware (I had the faint hope it might help) and the LEDs are back!

Has anyone encountered this before, or has any idea what might be the cause for this fault? I rather liked the display of sample rates, and would really love to get it back :-(

Hello to All,

I'm a long time viewer of this thread and bought a WaveIO module late 2012 to use as stand-alone S/PDIF converter because I was convinced by the positive feedback in this forum.

QFPpVqs.jpg

And now the strangest thing: I normally operate the WaveIO plugged into a Linux computer (Voyage MPD). Recently I connected it to a Windows laptop to upgrade the XMOS firmware (I had the faint hope it might help) and the LEDs are back!

Has anyone encountered this before, or has any idea what might be the cause for this fault? I rather liked the display of sample rates, and would really love to get it back :-(

I have just received the WaveIO. There are no sample rate LEDs showing. Where are they?

The board works.:confused:

If I'm understanding your post correctly, the LEDs worked when you had the wave hooked up to a windows computer, but once you went back to the Voyage they stopped working again? Since they used to work with the Voyage, I'm guessing that possibly the driver has gotten corrupted--that it's a software rather than hardware issue. Is there a specific driver that you can trash and re-install?

I'm guessing that possibly the driver has gotten corrupted--that it's a software rather than hardware issue. Is there a specific driver that you can trash and re-install?

Thank you, that was a really good tip! I set up an older version of Voyage MPD on my test system, connected the WaveIO, and voilá the LEDs are working.

The driver is part of the Linux kernel, unfortunately, so I cannot change that at will, but at least I have a direction in which I can conduct further research. The kernel version that worked right now was 3.4.4, the one on my music server should be 3.10.11. Kernel 3.13.0 (on my desktop PC) is also not illuminating the LEDs.

Is anyone using Linux together with WaveIO and does have an idea what might be the root cause? I might check change logs of the audio driver (snd-usb-audio) next ...

I might check change logs of the audio driver (snd-usb-audio) next ...

I'm stuck again. The Voyage version 0.9.1 is the last one working. It's based on linux kernel 3.8.13 and was released 20 Jun 2013. The current version (kernel 3.10.11) was released on 20 Dec 2013 and does not have sample rate LED support.

The time interval is a bit too large, there were numerous changes to the kernel regarding ALSA drivers. Hopefully Lucian might show up in the meantime and can tell us something about what the sample rate display is working on.

In the meantime I will downgrade my audio server to the last release and wait for further information.