XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface

Any idea why Server 2012 or Windows 8.1 would sound better? Is this also the case when you disable Windows audio services and only use a WASAPI/ASIO driver?
No! Only I do know from Microsoft sites that they rewrote the audio stack for both 8.1 & WS2012 R2 (both the same code) compared with Windows 8.

I did not find any difference when stopping Windows Audio Services. I use Windows Kernel Streaming which is a big step up from WASAPI.

Windows is an unsuitable bloated beast for audio - but we are saddled with it.

Ooh sorry, yes, you're probably correct. I did st.art at windows 7, then migrated to 8 en route to server 2012 R2. You are more than welcome. It's nice to be able to finally contribute something back to the community rather than just hoovering up knowledge and info.

I'd be very careful about just running it unless you had a test install that you don't mind trashing. It definitely wasn't designed for server 2012 and there's no guarantee that it will help with the sound. What I'd do is to divide the file into a few parts and give them a whirl and then have a listen after each run. definitely play with some of the values I set. We're straying a little off topic here - although I know Lorien is very patient ;-) - might be best to start a fresh topic and as long as we avoid recruiting the flat earth brigade and the whole thing descending into a bits-is-bits-blind-test-or-death-willy-waving competition then we might make some progress. Unfortunately, it's for exactly this reason that I've avoided talking about this on this board. You may well be better off visiting jplay.eu or TírNaHiFi.org | Hi-End HiFi in Ireland where the sort of 'lunacy' that my batch file is clearly advocating is welcomed with a little more open mindedness...sorry, minor rant over :)

Any idea why Server 2012 or Windows 8.1 would sound better? Is this also the case when you disable Windows audio services and only use a WASAPI/ASIO driver?

The guys on the Jplay forum - mentioned above - released 2 different versions of their latest software as an experiment. Identical code-wise but compiled using different compilers...they sound different! Nuts...but true.

Ooh sorry, yes, you're probably correct. I did st.art at windows 7, then migrated to 8 en route to server 2012 R2. You are more than welcome. It's nice to be able to finally contribute something back to the community rather than just hoovering up knowledge and info.

I'd be very careful about just running it unless you had a test install that you don't mind trashing. It definitely wasn't designed for server 2012 and there's no guarantee that it will help with the sound. What I'd do is to divide the file into a few parts and give them a whirl and then have a listen after each run. definitely play with some of the values I set. We're straying a little off topic here - although I know Lorien is very patient ;-) - might be best to start a fresh topic and as long as we avoid recruiting the flat earth brigade and the whole thing descending into a bits-is-bits-blind-test-or-death-willy-waving competition then we might make some progress. Unfortunately, it's for exactly this reason that I've avoided talking about this on this board. You may well be better off visiting jplay.eu or TírNaHiFi.org | Hi-End HiFi in Ireland where the sort of 'lunacy' that my batch file is clearly advocating is welcomed with a little more open mindedness...sorry, minor rant over :)

Good advice. I am a cautious accountant! I am also for my sins an avid reader and sometimes contributor on Tir Na as I have been a long time MQn and JLP follower/tester. They both work very well with the WaveIO Lorien! Actually you would be surprised how much difference the Player software makes to SQ. Including MQn compiled on different basis only!

Cheers
Jonathan

Hello Jonathan! Initially the DB was intended to upgrade all the aspects I thought can be upgraded at that time regarding I2S. Anyway, there are few drawbacks that I cannot solve with actual layout of WaveIO:
1. The possibility to easily revert the changes without using the soldering iron... this for cases when WaveIO's owners will like to have he "old" sound in their system.
2. to be plug and play while allowing all my new ideas to be implemented on it.
Given above, I decided for the DB to be inserted into the J6 pin-header
connector of WaveIO thus taking advance of the galvanic isolation provided by the NVE isolator. Moreover, there will be an external PSU that will power the board, Doede and others asked me to be compatible with 5Vdc and I'll do it.
In addition there will be few reclockers out there for each I2S line and as I always did, I use low noise LDOs and decoupling networks.
This is the best I can do taking into account actual HW of WaveIO. Like I said before, main goals are: no iron tip and possibility to "undo" the changes!
Kind regards,
Lucian

Any estimate of time to market?
As soon as possible! With this new board I'm trying to switch my old CAD software to another level and there's a (hopefully short) learning curve ahead of me. On another hand I do have to address a small technical issue but there is already one solution for that!
I'm still contemplating if have to add differential I2S output signal support to this small board through HDMI... Could this be useful?
In addition, there were few asking for a "copy" of the I2S bus, in case that one wants to drive multiple DACs in parallel.
Still debating this...
Cheers,
L

...I'm still contemplating if have to add differential I2S output signal support to this small board through HDMI... Could this be useful?...

I am not sure about HDMI I2S in DIY; few commercial companies are using it though.

...In addition, there were few asking for a "copy" of the I2S bus, in case that one wants to drive multiple DACs in parallel...

Parallel chips in a single DAC box or two separate DAC boxes?

Do you think you can add some interface (BCLK, LL/LR, DL, DR) to directly drive PCM1704?

Okay, I'll see what I will do with I2S over HDMI. If the circuit is not too complex to be added then it will be there.
Parallel chips in a single DAC box or two separate DAC boxes?
Both as long as the I2S wires are short. Few guys asked to driver two different DAC chips (presumably to be in the same box) to make a head by head comparison between different analog stages. If I recall correctly, one wanted to drive one DAC per channel.
Do you think you can add some interface (BCLK, LL/LR, DL, DR) to directly drive PCM1704?
I really like to have a cheap solution to be implemented on this board to offer DFU (Device Firmware Update). I'm close to one but not probed yet so I cannot say that it will work 100%. Anyway, with DFU enabled, a lot of things can be done, including drive capability for PCM1704 chips.
Warm wishes,
L

Seconded! Probably a bit late in the day but it'd be nice to be able to run things from Lifepo4 batteries and/or by-pass onboard regs and hopefully DSD playback too.
LifePO4: there will be few regs on that board but I have to know the voltage of the LiFePO4 pack to know exactly what chips I have to choose. For example LP5900 doesn't want to go over 6V unless you want to see smoke out of it. :)
On the other hand, I really want to dig in for a "simple" solution of USB firmware update for this DB since I've noticed that for most of us, sending card back and forth would not be so cheap (and pleasant). I learned this experiencing with earlier versions of WaveIO cards (with firmware versions 0x0331).
One step at a time... :)
Cheers,
L