XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface

It's very strange Zapped.

According to Rod Elliott's site, SPDIF is independent of polarity, so either way from the isolating transformer should work the same. I guess at the end of the day an inversion should simply shift the signal by half a cycle and the DAC probably couldn't tell the difference. It is then puzzling why your conversion to my "wrong" way has partly solved your problem.

Just a short way down this page Rod Elliott says "The S/PDIF signal is independent of polarity, which means that you do not have to concern yourself with absolute polarity - this make things a lot easier."

S/PDIF Digital to Analogue Converter

Anyway I'm leaving my mistake alone. :)

I wish I could help you solve the LED problem, but I'm cleary a bit of a fumbler.

Cheers.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
It is correct that the polarity of SPDIF doesn't matter. So maybe reversing the wires fixed a bad connection?

Regarding the 48 kHz indication: Are you using ASIO or WASAPI interface? Or is Windows resampling everything to 48 kHz? Or is there a setting in Mediamonkey to let it resample the output? I am not familiar with Mediamonkey, but I have seen other players, which resample the output, even when using ASIO.

Hi-def distortion seems solved

Some weeks ago I reported a distortion problem with my WaveIO - TP Opus 8740 setup at fs>44.1/48. The problem seems solved and it wasn't a problem on the two boards, both work fine, but on the I2S connection between the two.
I completely forgot that some weeks before I shortened uFL cables after a layout change and I severed the connection between the uFL cable screens and the dac gnd at the dac side (Opus and WaveIO still shared the gnd with a wire from WaveIO external power terminal block and Opus I2S terminal block gnd). Unfortunately I wasn't able to immediately associate these changes with the distortion appearing.
The circuit change came to mind after some pm with barrows (thank you), and when I checked the boards I found that two uFL wires (lrclk and data) were shorter than the other two (mclk and bclk), 20mm against 25mm. A mistake, no doubt. I pared the wires down to the same length and added the connection among the I2S screens into dac ground (the other gnd connection was removed). Everything is working fine now, no more distortion. It seems the problem was really there, cause no other change intervened other than I2S length and gnd.

JensH and Ian and Lucian: I think JensH may be right about a bad connection. I'm using a section of very small 75ohm coaxial, that has a plated steel conductor, in a very tight enclosure only a little bigger than the board, and that cable was flexed and moved around a LOT trying to cram it into the box. I very well could have broken the wire near the soldered end doing this the first time around. (Or, maybe I just had a mute switch toggled to the wrong position somewhere! I've done a lot of dumb things over the years, and I've probably got many more mistakes to go.) Anyway, thanks to everyone who helped me! And it's good to get the confirmation information regarding SPDIF polarity. Mr. Elliott is a great resource.

I just took Media Monkey off the computer and I'm about to download JRiver and test my hi-rez file using that player.

Thanks guys!

Zapped, for internal coax connections you could try some of the very thin Teflon taped (and internally insulated) coax available on eBay from a seller called navships in USA. It's just silvered copper, so flexible enough for tight spaces. I just looked and he has some 2.1mm OD listed. Forget his "oxygen free" talk. That's probably just to attract a certain audiophile market. I have used his cable for years. The Teflon is very tolerant of soldering heat (won't melt). On my page you can see some of it used as shielded LED cabling. That steel stuff is dreadful.

Partial success with wave/buffalo

I wrote earlier in the week about distortion when I first tried hooking the wave into my DAC. Today was my first chance to start troubleshooting. I also hooked the external USB port up, so now I have the jumper set to ext.

After checking all of the connections another time, I started a playback at max sample rate (just listening to redbook, so up sampled x8) and still had the distortion. My next try was limiting to 96khz, and it sounded fine. As long as I keep the max to 192khz, it sounds fine. I think this should mean that there aren't ground issues, but know that my analog based undertstanding of grounding may not be correct in digital.

So, I'm thinking this may confirm the uFL length issue-but this is just a guess on my part. Can someone that understands the cable length limits comment on this? I'm trying to find 7cm cables; mouser had them but are out of stock. I'll check with digikey. (Currently cables are all 10cm)

I also have questions about settings in audirvana, so if anyone uses the Wave with a Buffalo IIIse and Audirvana, could a change in settings be the caused this? I've pretty much got it set to defaults but have tried some changes that haven't helped at 384khz. I'm using integer mode (1, but have tried 2 also). DSD to PCM is set to Algorithm 64 bit multistage with boost of +6db. Would changing any of this potentially effect the problems I'm having at 384?

I know that already, thank you! The issue lies in the platform on which it was built which seems to have a security breach which was exploited by "good" guys by sending spam all over the world. Right now I'm in process of fixing that but it will take a short while to make it happen (a couple of hours, I hope not but maybe days).
I am really sorry for this to happen but it's my first one and I gather infos to solve it ... hopefully for ever! My mistake to blindly put my trust in wrong hands.
Cheers,
Lucian

Hello,

I'm looking for some troubleshooting help. I've had the waveio (not sure which version but it was purchased about a year and a half ago) connected via I2S to a Twisted Pear Buffalo DAC and everything was working great for about 6 months until a few days ago.

While the DAC was playing all of a sudden lock became intermittent and the sound cut out leaving random blips of light static. When I stop playback from the computer the DAC regains lock and I hear no noise however when I try playing the music again it loses lock and I get the static. The "static" is not the constant hissing like traditional static this can best be described as more random, very short static pops.

I cannot imagine what could have caused it as it happened mid-playback and nothing else has changed. I checked the power supply voltage to the USB board it's 5v as it has always been. What I find most odd is that the DAC regains lock (and it is silent) as soon as I stop playback. I don't think it's an issue with the DAC since it is getting and maintaining lock when no music is playing and occasionally I'll hear music, albeit muffled and with static.

I've attached a picture of the usb board/DAC. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm not sure why the pictures won't load but below are links to them.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3bmmoqyfpuieo69/IMG_20140212_120516_NEW.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9slu2t65e9oj9ng/IMG_20140212_120527_NEW.jpg

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
well done Lucian. Hackers are a pain in the *** :mad:
My Site was also hacked last year. :(
Well, that pain still hurts me... if you know what I mean :eek: You now the details from our PMs. Kind regards dear friend!

Hi Lucian,

I noticed your site is not yet 100% fully working. Hope you work things out without too much damage (and time, money etc..).

Should i wait for the site before ordering a WaveIO? Or do you prefer to do this via PM?

Thanks,

Sander
I would rather prefer to do it via PMs the only reason is that I cannot guarantee when the web page will be up and running again. I have been told that it will be starting with next Monday but I would prefer to run few tests before releasing it again. Last time it didn't worked for more than 3 days and it is frustrating now...:confused:
So, please PM me and we will discuss all the details privately.

Hello!
Bought the device. Prompt, where you can find drivers for it.
If you bought a WaveIO card then please send me a private message with your email address and I'll send you latest version of WaveIO drivers pack. Otherwise please look to the one who sold you that card! Thank you

Hello,

I'm looking for some troubleshooting help. I've had the waveio (not sure which version but it was purchased about a year and a half ago) connected via I2S to a Twisted Pear Buffalo DAC and everything was working great for about 6 months until a few days ago.

While the DAC was playing all of a sudden lock became intermittent and the sound cut out leaving random blips of light static. When I stop playback from the computer the DAC regains lock and I hear no noise however when I try playing the music again it loses lock and I get the static. The "static" is not the constant hissing like traditional static this can best be described as more random, very short static pops.

I cannot imagine what could have caused it as it happened mid-playback and nothing else has changed. I checked the power supply voltage to the USB board it's 5v as it has always been. What I find most odd is that the DAC regains lock (and it is silent) as soon as I stop playback. I don't think it's an issue with the DAC since it is getting and maintaining lock when no music is playing and occasionally I'll hear music, albeit muffled and with static.

I've attached a picture of the usb board/DAC. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm not sure why the pictures won't load but below are links to them.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3bmmoqyfpuieo69/IMG_20140212_120516_NEW.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9slu2t65e9oj9ng/IMG_20140212_120527_NEW.jpg

Hello stew1234. First of all please make sure that all the connections in your DAC directly related to your WaveIO card are as it should be. I simply mean that a parasitic resistance somewhere could ruin your day. I suggest to take each connection in part, remove it and put it back: external power wires (it's less likely that the source if your problem is from there but check it anyway!), power jumper from J12 pin-header and jumper from J8 PH = please do remove and place them again making sure that it will make a strong connection. And, the last thing which does have the highest chances to be the source for your trouble are the mBNC connectors. It happened for me to see how those parts would end up after a while and it's not pleasant... Please remove all the mBNC cables from respective connectors in a gentle way. The worst case scenario will mean to replace the cables and the mBNC connectors. For the moment I would suggest to switch the coaxial cables among them and see if there's something improved.
Feel free to contact me via PM if you'll need further assistance!
Lucian

Edit: I guess the images are too big to be loaded...

Last edited:
Hey, maybe this has been answered before, but,
Does the board support communication "backwards"?
I mean is it possible with this board to send i2s signals from a board through the wave board to pc? (for a microphone recording application)
How is the wave recognized under windows? as USB HID?