Build Thread - A New Take on the Classic Pass Labs D1 with an ESS Dac

yep i have some matched fets left, shoot me a message with your email addy and we'll go from there. the only spare sink is gone unfortunately, but i can probably arrange another one, otherwise yeah i have the drawing saved somewhere.

and yeah i ran the IV at +/-70v for a bit just for kicks, the heatsink held up surprisingly well, but in the end i put the standard TX back on for fear of having a hot day and the case temp getting too warm for sabre, the fets will handle quite a bit more than the dac chip will and there really isnt much to be gained going past 45

Last edited:
Felipe, there is no need to get different spec regs, it will not do anything at all, you would have to try very hard to cause higher than 40v difference input to output, as even having the pots turned all the way down will still have the smd resistor in place. i blew a lt1085 once due to it only handling 30v difference in to out and using an over-spec TX with the pot accidentally turned down, but with your transformer and using lm or lt317/337 you would have to do something pretty crazy to risk any problems.

people run these things in the hundreds of volts for tube amps, the Vin is meaningless, they are floating regs, they do not know what ground even is.

this has all been covered several times in here, anything that kills lm317 is likely to also kill the ones you are looking at.

I understand the hesitation, but you are reading the datasheet wrong

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Work in progress pics & for Horio IV mounted on the heatsink:):

Attachments

• DSC00034.jpg
    DSC00034.jpg
    645.1 KB · Views: 443
  • DSC00036.jpg
    DSC00036.jpg
    456.5 KB · Views: 419
  • DSC00035.jpg
    DSC00035.jpg
    682.3 KB · Views: 407
  • DSC00037.jpg
    DSC00037.jpg
    572.1 KB · Views: 400

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Great pics Felipe! Thanks for posting those up!

Looks like you're 90% of the way there. You just need to hook everything up and give it a go. Have you adjusted the power supplies yet? Now is the time to do it with them disconnected.

Keep up the good work, and let me know how it goes when you're finished.

Cheers,
Owen

Could you ask qusp if there is something left or the contact (if I remember well Conrad heatsinks).

Maybe I'll shoot him a PM. I think there might be another person or two looking for heatsinks as well. I'm not sure if Conrad would do a run of just 2-3 units though.

Merlin, how are you planning to mount that heatsink in your case? Are you going to mount it with the board facing down and heatsink fins oriented upward toward the top of the case?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I wish good luck with the heatsink.

I'm using AVCC & Tridents so can't mount the board facing down because I'm afraid this way disconnect the AVCC module & Tridents.

Bad news: I have a hifi2000 model PESANTE 2U width 435 depth 300 height 80mm & the BII + heatsink need more height possible next model 3U but I will use this for the Erno Borbely IV with PCM1704 DACs

soz for the delay, quite a bit of breaking down for ackodac, got the top off, just neatening the wiring up for pics hehe. been doing quite a bit of testing with various things and doing some head to head action with USB->i2s interfaces, batteries vs rewgs for vosc and AVCC etc etc. so its a little chaotic

there is no need to have the heatsink facing up, its not that marginal wrt dissipation, i sized it to cope with worst case scenario in case someone in the tropics runs it in 40 degree ambient heat. as it is the heatsink gets very marginally warm and it would be impossible for me with the ackodac, as there is 2 stories plus the mounting platform for all the regs, so effectively 3 stories on top of the heatsink+IV. it could be done as there is m4 metric threaded holes in each corner, but theres no need.

there are no more sinks, but i could maybe arrange something if there is a few people