De-emphasis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
oshifis said:
My copy does not use deemphasis. EAN code 9399746255128

BTW: I installed a LED parallel with the deemphasis relay in my CD player. It never lit on so far...

Mine doesn't either.
Dunno whether there's any relationship:
The CD sleeve is the ":censored:" version
(I have the "uncensored" in vynil)

The only CD in my collection that lights the "pre-emphasis" indicator
is an Italian thing:
"Francesco Guccini - Fra la via Emilia e il West"

a live recording that actually sounds quite too bright, on any player.

_

For the pain de-emph is on the playback side, it's no better at the other end. New music has too much HF energy to stay under all-1s with pre-emphasis, meaning aggressive HF limiting and compression to avoid clipping in the mastering stage. One of FM's worst aspects emulated.

SY said:
Just curious: how many discs actually use it?

In my case (CD user since 1984) 21 out 550. For example most (if not all) denon classical digital recordings until approx. 1990 were made using emphasis.

Plus 3 CDs (Manfred Mann's Earth Band: Good Earth, Solar Fire, Roaring Silence) where the analog master tapes were transfered to digital with emphasis and the CDs do not carry the emphasis flag und thus are not played back correctly. It sounds horrible ...

The masters of these CDs must have been produced by someone thinking "de-emphasis? ... WTF? ... Has this ever been used?"

mat02ah said:

In my case (CD user since 1984) 21 out 550. For example most (if not all) denon classical digital recordings until approx. 1990 were made using emphasis.

Plus 3 CDs (Manfred Mann's Earth Band: Good Earth, Solar Fire, Roaring Silence) where the analog master tapes were transfered to digital with emphasis and the CDs do not carry the emphasis flag und thus are not played back correctly. It sounds horrible ...

The masters of these CDs must have been produced by someone thinking "de-emphasis? ... WTF? ... Has this ever been used?"

I also own some Denon CDs (Mahhler symphonies conducted by Inbal, Frankfurt Radio Symphony Orch.).
I wanted to be able to play them on a CDP without the de-emp. possibility, so what to do?
At http://www.picosound.de/E_index.htm (at the bottom of the Download page), you can download a small program that is able to convert ripped WAV files back to normal condition.
Just rip track by track to WAV files and copy the WaveEmph.exe into the directory with the WAV files, open file by file in the program, check Apply De-emphasis, klick Modify and a few minutes later you are able to burn a CD with the music without emphasis.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.