DAC gallery

Hi, I found this topic recently.
This is a "true" diskrete R2R + DSD balanced dual mono dac that I build 4-5 years ago. all 32bit. No classic PCB just point-to-point soldring. I used standard HC/HCT chips, Balanced digital line with diff driver/receiver ICs. From factory parts I used just USB I2S/DSD Amanero interfsce.
Everything else eas hand maded...
Deliberately used, worsty case, 1% R with just 2MSBs trim. And moderate power supplu transformers, with clasic 780X regulators. Again worst case scenario, to check the sound and measurements. R2R net and Rdsd neta are not fixed and could be exchange. Also could be configurated in parallel single ended OR ballanced mode. R2R dac running with Left justified format (from I2S) and could be set from 16bits to 32 bit length, DSD running normal.
Believe or ot I spend much time to acomplich mute/I2S/DSD for device to work without clicks...
Output is JFET buffer with passive LC hig order fiter and transformer. It was not much space in classic width 43-44cm for more :). Almost full, but with PCB routing design could be significantly smaller modules.
I can say that this topology is better sounding than same from CPLDs and small high density and high concentated energy devices of the same type. Have a less noise and more relaxing sound. The values of R are critical and cant be trimmed right because of the temperature change, but significant impovements could be acheived by trimming just 2 MSB bits. With better and way more precise R the results could be very very good. Also with better power supply. This one I made to test if it is working or not and by purpose with the worst case parts to "snif" the sound and do some measurements.
cheers

Attachments

• 32bit R2R+DSD balanced 03.jpg
    32bit R2R+DSD balanced 03.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 1,582
  • 32bit R2R+DSD balanced 02.jpg
    32bit R2R+DSD balanced 02.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 1,602
  • 32bit R2R+DSD balanced 04.jpg
    32bit R2R+DSD balanced 04.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 1,554
Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Today I made a small change in I / V stage, Ei 6HM5 was inserted instead of 6S4P, both in the grounded grid. The output stage is a white chatode folower with Ei ECC88.
DAC I.C. is two PCM1702, the filter is PMD100 and the receiver is DIR9001.
The most attention is paid to the power supply, all together there are eight LV regulators and one HV regulator for tubes.
The PCM1702 and PMD100 are supply by Walt Jung shunt regulators with GLED431 references.

Attachments

• grunf dac.jpg
    grunf dac.jpg
    440.8 KB · Views: 1,085
  • 6HM5 tube I-V converter 1.jpg
    6HM5 tube I-V converter 1.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 1,059
  • 6HM5 tube I-V converter.jpg
    6HM5 tube I-V converter.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 696
Reactions: 1 user
First test: it realy sounds amazing.
This is the DAC with the worst THD I've ever built, at least in theory. My newer RPi didn't arrived yet, but the old one is good enough for testing.:)
On the PCB there is one technical issue: the low noise power supply for opamp is missing ADP7118, because I ordered the wrong package!!!, so you will see a short wire in that area. Opamp is low noise, low enough THD, ISL28291, but for the moment it is powered directly from main 5V power supply.
I am sorry for the video quality, it is a preview only.
For me, there are 3 premieres: first R-2R DAC, first CPLD project and first BGA package soldered.

MAX II APHITHEATER R-2R DAC for Raspberry Pi - YouTube

Very nice! Even through the computer audio and (decent) laptop speakers, the sound was very open, relaxed with great mids... Loved it!

Last edited:
Joined 2019
Paid Member
Finished my first DAC build yesterday.

It is a NOS PCM56 design, using Sowter SUT I/V stage, battery biased common cathode output stage, CCS loaded but set up as a hybrid mu-follower. Digital front end is JLSounds I2SoverUSB module. Chassis designed by me in CAD software, then machined and anodized by Landfall Systems in the USA.

Phbj93a.jpg

jXY7ODV.jpg

e7S6V2N.jpg

xC0E9JG.jpg

g6JCdnL.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
The stainless.... very decent sounding TDA1387 R2R 16 bit DAC with quite good AKM receiver. All more or less useless devices as the 2 box approach with the best concepts is often worse than a simple 1 box device with internal I2S. The industry fooled us big time when they introduced separate DAC boxes to upgrade CD players :D

IMG_3363.jpg
IMG_3364.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Just to show plain and simple minimalist SPDIF-only devices with only 1 function, 1 switch and 1 power on LED. Meant for non-technical users i.e. people that simply listen to music. Only true power off is allowed and therefor adapters/wall warts are unwanted (just like SMPS, confusing displays and blue LED search lights). All variables should be automatic and no future service adjustments should be necessary in my humble view. Install and forget so to speak.

Power consumption should be below 10VA in case the user forgets to switch off or deliberately leaves stuff powered on.

Last edited:
TDA1387 8x parallel - JLsound i2s - 6n2p

I went to a Hifi shop in Sheffield to listen to some dacs. The guy in the shop asked about my system. I tried to explain DIY speakers and amps. His reaction was " Surely you can make a Dac then?" Turns out he was right after some diyAudio searches. Thanks to audio community.

Surprising how pleasing the results are from these old dac chips and valves. I may even tidy
up inside, when I can stop playing tunes.

Attachments

• dac tda1387 small.jpg
    dac tda1387 small.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 471
Reactions: 2 users
Joined 2019
Paid Member
Wow, this thread doesn't move much! I was shocked to see my first DAC build higher up on this page.

Well now I have my second one done. It uses a pair of PCM63 in parallel per channel, NOS design. I/V conversion done by Sowter 1465 SUTs, coupled to a E182CC / 7044 / 5687 tube gain stage, battery biased, and loaded by Sowter 9705 line output transformers. B+ supply is Maida regulated, one per channel. Heaters are also DC regulated. Digital front end is JLSounds I2SoverUSB module again. Really enjoying the sound.

PXL_20230208_213236468.NIGHT (1).jpg

PXL_20230208_164105859-2 (1).jpg

PXL_20230208_163505466-3 (1).jpg

PXL_20230208_163520561-3 (1).jpg

Reactions: 8 users