DAC gallery

This year I had a bit refreshed my old DAC, I / V conversion was changed from passive to ground grid, tubes are the same 6S4P, all CCS now have double FET instead of lower DN2540 in cascade and for all digital circuits except for PCM1702 voltage regulators are now ADP7118. High voltage power is a copy of the power supply from ARC LS25MKII.
Otherwise DAC is an old school CS8414-PMD100-2xPCM1702.

Attachments

• IMG_20180819_1438041.jpg
    IMG_20180819_1438041.jpg
    322.7 KB · Views: 2,083
  • IMG_20180819_1438201.jpg
    IMG_20180819_1438201.jpg
    379.9 KB · Views: 2,067
Last edited:
My piCorePlayer (Allo based)

I put together a piCorePlayer using a Hammond chassis. It has an official Raspberry Pi touchscreen and uses an Allo isolator between the Pi and the Allo Boss DAC. It also has LiPo batteries to power the isolator and DAC. The small board in the middle is a custom board I designed to host the +5 volt linear regulated supply and a charging circuit for the LiPos.

The display controller is underneath the batteries and is flopped down to a horizontal mounting position.

When the player is quiescent, the batteries are placed in parallel for charging and when active, in series for powering the isolator and DAC. The switching is done by 3 relays controlled by a GPIO pin on the Pi. When powering the DAC, the batteries are completely floating and therefore the DAC is galvanically isolated from the Pi power supply and ground.

The setup is currently running piCorePlayer 3.5 and LMS. It is driving a passive preamp which is connected to a McCormack DNA 0.5 and Martin Logan Aerius i's. It sounds very clean, particularly playing 24-bit FLACs and is dead silent between tracks. Having played with various DAC setups, I'm pretty happy with the battery solution.

I should mention that the physical design was inspired by Pascal Hibon, who posted some of his builds over in the Slimdevices forum.

Cheers

Whit

Attachments

• DSC_0044.jpg
    DSC_0044.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 975
  • DSC_0043.jpg
    DSC_0043.jpg
    698.7 KB · Views: 958
  • DSC_0045.jpg
    DSC_0045.jpg
    964.7 KB · Views: 1,889
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I put together a piCorePlayer using a Hammond chassis. It has an official Raspberry Pi touchscreen and uses an Allo isolator between the Pi and the Allo Boss DAC. It also has LiPo batteries to power the isolator and DAC. The small board in the middle is a custom board I designed to host the +5 volt linear regulated supply and a charging circuit for the LiPos.

The display controller is underneath the batteries and is flopped down to a horizontal mounting position.

When the player is quiescent, the batteries are placed in parallel for charging and when active, in series for powering the isolator and DAC. The switching is done by 3 relays controlled by a GPIO pin on the Pi. When powering the DAC, the batteries are completely floating and therefore the DAC is galvanically isolated from the Pi power supply and ground.

The setup is currently running piCorePlayer 3.5 and LMS. It is driving a passive preamp which is connected to a McCormack DNA 0.5 and Martin Logan Aerius i's. It sounds very clean, particularly playing 24-bit FLACs and is dead silent between tracks. Having played with various DAC setups, I'm pretty happy with the battery solution.

I should mention that the physical design was inspired by Pascal Hibon, who posted some of his builds over in the Slimdevices forum.

Cheers

Whit

I like what you did with the Vu-Meters :cool: I would like to see a video on how smooth the actually work? I have those on my Aurender and is sooo jerky, the might as well have left it away…. :(

CS4398DAC

I ordered an CS4398DAC card from China. Replaced to good quality parts in Powersupply stage. Audio grade capacitors and plenty of power. I wanted to replase the output op-amp stage with transformer stage. Replaced with Lundahl 1690 1:1 transformer. Im really happy with the result and fits my tube rigg really well. Really better sound than my Rega DAC.

Attachments

• DAC1.jpg
    DAC1.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 1,505
  • DAC2.jpg
    DAC2.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 1,507
I ordered an CS4398DAC card from China. Replaced to good quality parts in Powersupply stage. Audio grade capacitors and plenty of power. I wanted to replase the output op-amp stage with transformer stage. Replaced with Lundahl 1690 1:1 transformer. Im really happy with the result and fits my tube rigg really well. Really better sound than my Rega DAC.

You really did it your way and it's great that you've been rewarded.
Quality parts not only worth soundwise but will also extend the longevity of your dac, nice move.

Hi ,

Just wish to share my DIY discrete 24 bit R2R DAC. I'm building another one with 18 or 20 bit because of matching resistors are virtually impossible for 24bit, but it sounds great with resistors I matched using 6-1/2 digit multimeter.

a simple video here,
YouTube

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hi all, Received a message and inform that the image are gone, sorry.I can't see edit post function so I re-attach the Image again.

Youtube video : YouTube

R2R-24bit-PCBjpg.jpg

May I ask if you have this project public somewhere?! Im thinking about a 'tube dac' project lately.

(pointers to other cool tubedacs would be much appreciated too of course)

Thanks

I've been publishing in Croatian audio forums for a long time.
This version is far more advanced than the ones from that time, but I did not publish any scheme or project. This would be a new output stage. It was designed for current DAC.

Attachments

• 11.png
    11.png
    144.5 KB · Views: 726
I've been publishing in Croatian audio forums for a long time.
This version is far more advanced than the ones from that time, but I did not publish any scheme or project. This would be a new output stage. It was designed for current DAC.

I probably need to start a new thread as Im not as advanced as you guys! My idea was to mod a "pi DAC thingy" with some tube final stage/buffer.
Thanks