DAC gallery

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Made a change to my NOS PCM63 DAC - swapped Sowter 9705 line output transformers to Audio Feast Finemet line outputs, 10K:600ohms. Output stage uses either E182CC / 5687 / 7044 with sections paralleled. Also changed the top plate for a two-tone color scheme.
So clean

Great job. Need a perspex cover so that you can see the beautiful work inside!

Reactions: 1 user
@percival007: Did you implement DEM clocking?

I’d be interested to hear your comments on how they compare in terms of sound quality.
I didn't, no.
I tried a DEM PCB in this design, and another 1541 DAC I have made and it caused distortion, much like zero-crossing distortion in a Ladder DAC, weirdly.
It could clearly be heard and monitored at very low level output.

Not a big fan of it really. No mention of DEM re-clocking is made on the Datasheets so I prefer to leave it 'as intended' !!!

P

Different.
To compare the two is why I made them. They're very similar designs, apart from the DAC chip.
The 1540 is exceptionally good. You don't miss those two bits !!!! lol. Nice and detailed, very controlled, tight bass, very different from many implementations in CD Players which can tend to sound a little 'wool-y' to me. With a very sweet yet detailed top end.

But, it's no TDA1541 !!!!
That's so smooth yet refined, detailed and with a mid-range to die for. Amazing bass extension but not over-blown.

P.