Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

DAC gallery
DAC gallery
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th August 2018, 09:00 PM   #301
grunf is offline grunf  Croatia
diyAudio Member

This year I had a bit refreshed my old DAC, I / V conversion was changed from passive to ground grid, tubes are the same 6S4P, all CCS now have double FET instead of lower DN2540 in cascade and for all digital circuits except for PCM1702 voltage regulators are now ADP7118. High voltage power is a copy of the power supply from ARC LS25MKII.
Otherwise DAC is an old school CS8414-PMD100-2xPCM1702.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180819_1438041.jpg (322.7 KB, 512 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180819_1438201.jpg (379.9 KB, 502 views)

Last edited by grunf; 19th August 2018 at 09:05 PM.
Old 28th August 2018, 09:59 PM   #302
grunf is offline grunf  Croatia
diyAudio Member

One 'small' upgrade
Otherwise, the DAC sounds great. One of the best 'analog' digital sources I've heard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG.jpg (197.1 KB, 403 views)
File Type: png DAC.png (106.7 KB, 390 views)
Old 29th August 2018, 05:31 PM   #303
wtnh is offline wtnh  United States
diyAudio Member

Default My piCorePlayer (Allo based)

I put together a piCorePlayer using a Hammond chassis. It has an official Raspberry Pi touchscreen and uses an Allo isolator between the Pi and the Allo Boss DAC. It also has LiPo batteries to power the isolator and DAC. The small board in the middle is a custom board I designed to host the +5 volt linear regulated supply and a charging circuit for the LiPos.

The display controller is underneath the batteries and is flopped down to a horizontal mounting position.

When the player is quiescent, the batteries are placed in parallel for charging and when active, in series for powering the isolator and DAC. The switching is done by 3 relays controlled by a GPIO pin on the Pi. When powering the DAC, the batteries are completely floating and therefore the DAC is galvanically isolated from the Pi power supply and ground.

The setup is currently running piCorePlayer 3.5 and LMS. It is driving a passive preamp which is connected to a McCormack DNA 0.5 and Martin Logan Aerius i's. It sounds very clean, particularly playing 24-bit FLACs and is dead silent between tracks. Having played with various DAC setups, I'm pretty happy with the battery solution.

I should mention that the physical design was inspired by Pascal Hibon, who posted some of his builds over in the Slimdevices forum.

Cheers

Whit
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0045.jpg (964.7 KB, 363 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0043.jpg (698.7 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0044.jpg (1.04 MB, 236 views)
Old 1st October 2018, 01:29 AM   #304
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

DAC gallery
Whit - darn nice DAC you have there!
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 1st October 2018, 02:45 AM   #305
wtnh is offline wtnh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
Whit - darn nice DAC you have there!
Thanks! I regard this as a work in progress - sort of a learning experience. So far, I am pretty happy with the sound an usability of piCorePlayer on this hardware.

I plan to build other DACs with (possibly) better sound in the future.

Cheers

Whit

DAC galleryHide this!Advertise here!