Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Hypex DSP module(s)
Hypex DSP module(s)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th April 2018, 06:27 PM   #1581
OllBoll is offline OllBoll  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julf View Post
Have you ever come across any commercial recordings using a range of more than 16 bits?
No, but considering that I use digital attenuation before the DLCP I want those bits as headroom. I guess one could argue that if you only apply volume after the DLCP 16 bits could be enough.
Old 11th April 2018, 07:15 PM   #1582
ChrisHill is offline ChrisHill  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eirik hansen View Post
would it be possible to switch between the two USB devices with some relays internally?
This suggestion works perfectly. I bought a cheap 5V 4x relay board (this one), then I wired it up so the DAC would be on the common terminals, the RPi would be on the normally closed (NC) terminals, and an external PC would be on the normally opened (NO) terminals. The power for the relays is looped from the NO connections, so that the board is powered by the external PC, and therefore *only* when the external PC is connected. The relays are triggered when the IN terminals are grounded (this is configurable via jumpers so they could be triggered by the 5V if preferred), so I simply looped the DC- terminal to all 4 IN terminals.

The result is that the relays are normally unpowered, so it acts as a straight through cable between the RPi and the DAC. When an external PC is connected the relays switch over to disconnect the RPi and connect the PC.

I tested it with my RPi (running piCorePlayer) and my Dacmagic. When I plugged in my Macbook the music from the RPi was cut and the Dacmagic showed up as an audio device on the Mac. Unplugging the Macbook reconnected the RPi and the music restarted as if by magic.

So this is the perfect solution from my perspective. I get to have the RPi as the default music source, built into my amplifier enclosure, and with the relays not even drawing any power unless I connect an external PC (or alternative USB music source). And best of all, the Rpi doesn't 'use up' any of the DLCP's inputs - I still have as many as if the RPi wasn't there.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12th April 2018, 01:13 AM   #1583
eirik hansen is offline eirik hansen
diyAudio Member

That looks great Chris, nice and simple, just the way I like it.
Let's hope you don't run into any issues when you hook everything up with the DLCP.
Old 12th April 2018, 07:57 AM   #1584
diyAudio Member

Thanks Eirik

The 4 USB wires are on the J3 header, which is a 16-way box header for a ribbon cable, which I believe comes with the DLCP input board (will know for sure tomorrow - just had word that my Hypex order will be delivered tomorrow).

So it should be a simple matter of making a replacement ribbon cable to break out those 4 wires and route them through the relay board (DLCP input board to NO, and DLCP J3 to COM).
Old 13th April 2018, 10:18 AM   #1585
sjalloq is offline sjalloq  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to sjalloq
lol Chris, how does that even work. That sure is a nice way to get some EMI radiation in the case. There's a reason differential signals have requirements on trace length matching and avoiding impedance discontinuities.
Old 13th April 2018, 10:32 AM   #1586
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjalloq View Post
lol Chris, how does that even work. That sure is a nice way to get some EMI radiation in the case. There's a reason differential signals have requirements on trace length matching and avoiding impedance discontinuities.
Shows how robustly specified USB is.
Old 13th April 2018, 12:58 PM   #1587
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjalloq View Post
That sure is a nice way to get some EMI radiation in the case.
Do you mean the relay board? It's not powered unless the external PC is connected, so completely inert when it's just the RPi playing. Even if I want to connect another music source instead of a control PC, that relay is DC powered, and is switching USB data lines, not audio signals, so I can't see how it can affect sound quality.

Or did you mean the RPi itself? Squeezebox is the source for all of my music listening, either from my ripped CD collection or through the various streaming plugins (iPlayer, Spotify), and the only other source I like to run through the amp is the TV (Toslink). So having the RPi inside the case makes a lot of sense for me. My own feeling is that this interference issue is overblown - I'm not expecting it to have any effect.
Old 16th April 2018, 09:32 AM   #1588
Neheb is offline Neheb
diyAudio Member

I am looking for the possibility of a 12V trigger out on the DLCP. Is this even possible and if so, has anyone already done it?
Old 16th April 2018, 01:50 PM   #1589
diyAudio Member

My DLCP hasn't quite arrived yet (waiting at the UPS collection point for me to collect this evening!), so I've had to make do with studying the documentation.
I'm still trying to absorb how all the different inputs and outputs for these boards work together, but as far as I can see there isn't a 12V output. But your amplifier power supply may well have a suitable 12V output.

For instance, the SMPS1200A400 has a regulated 12V output, and in conjunction with the 'supply standby' signal this might do what you require. I can't see whether this 12V output is always live, or only live when the supply is not in standby. If the latter, then that could already be what you require - i.e. so long as you let the DLCP control whether the supply is in standby or not, then powering up the DLCP will make this 12V output go live. But if that 12V supply is live all the time, then you could run it through a relay to provide your trigger output, and control that relay with one of the DLCP signalling lines (e.g. Amp-enable, supply standby). You'd need to pay attention to whether those signalling lines go high or low, and configure your relay accordingly, but that's easily done with these relay boards that are designed to be controlled by Arduino or RPi applications.

PS - I knew I recognised your username - that's a lovely looking enclosure you presented a few pages back.

Last edited by ChrisHill; 16th April 2018 at 01:53 PM.
Old 18th April 2018, 07:28 PM   #1590
Neheb is offline Neheb
diyAudio Member

The cases were the first step. I will now also have a board made for the XLR outputs, which is connected to the DLCP via a ribbon cable.

I use the standard DLCP power supply.

https://www.diyclassd.com/documenten/download/876

Hypex DSP module(s)Hide this!Advertise here!