Behringer DCX2496 digital X-over

Hi everyone!

I just received my Behringer DCX2496 digital X-over!

It looks great :

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The specs are ok too.

This will be part of my 3-way active loudspeaker system.

I am very impressed by the flexibility with which you can configure the system and setup x-over parameters (using the PC interface - Serial RS232), which for me was the decisive factor for buying this unit......

Anybody else on this forum who has experience with this unit?

Volume control Behringer DCX2496 digital X-over

Hi Petter,

I'm afraid there is no "Master volume control".

You can adjust (equalize) each input and output by "+" or "-" 15 dB though. (But I know this is not what you want/mean).

Try to download and run the editor software from the Behringer site, this gives you a good impression of the control functions of the device.

I will try to make some hires photo's of the inside of the unit and post them later.

Behringer DCX2496 digital X-over for 5.1

Hi Ric,

The 3-way active speaker system I was referring to is to be part of a 5.1 (6.1) speaker system as well.

My first idea was that I wanted to have a very flexible crossover setup, to be able to easy experiment with crossover frequencies, filter parameters and -types etc. and use the so determined setup parameters in an analog crossover filter setup.

That is why I only ordered one unit.

When I had played around a little with the DCX2496, I wasn't so shure about this analog setup anymore......:cool:

I will have to wait with "real" testing (listening!) until I have completed my speaker cabinets............:bawling:

More pics of Behringer DCX2496 digital X-over

Hi,

Here are some more pictures of the inside of the Behringer DCX2496:

DCX2496_02.jpg

DCX2496_03.jpg

DCX2496_04.jpg

DCX2496_05.jpg

DCX2496_06.jpg

I think there is not realy so much to "see" inside.

Productin quality is good.
OpAmps are 4580 and ADC and DAQ are from AKM like stated in the documentation.

Are you still interested in mods Petter / RobM ?

Could you elaborate on what and how you would modify:

Are there better DAC's and ADC's which are (software- and pin-)compatible?
Costs?
Is it worth it?

Simulations and comparations

Hi byteboy,

One of my units is for the fronts.I have a couple of Urei 809 that are very difficult to work with, because they are coaxial drivers and the voice coil of the mid unit is firing behind the woofer, so you have to delay the woofer. This behringer unit seems to be the tiket.
The other is going to manage the rest of the 5.1 setup.
Let's see how it actually SOUNDS. I was doing some simulations in a ProTools system with different filter plug ins and delays and arrived at a nice setup in the digital domain. The problem is that this system is used to edit audio and is noot going to be used as a 20K digital crosover!
So when the behringer unit arrives I'll be able to test the sound between it and this efiting state of the art machine and see which one wins.

Ric

DCX2496 / Urei 809

Hi Ric,

Seems to be the machine you need for your setup.

I am not familliar with the Urei 809 but it seems to be an interesting speaker.

I had a look at the delaysection as well.

I plan to use it to compensate the difference in distance due to the mechanical mounting of the tweets and mids in the two-way satelites.
And also between the satelites and the (sub-)woofer, which will be in a seperate closed cabinet.

I plan to use the equalizer section of the DCX2496 to compensate the power rolloff below 80 - 100 Hz of the woofer.

If you get your DCX2496, please keep us posted on how it performs in your setup; I will not be able to test/post results untill I have finished my cabinets.......:mad:

Henry.

Changing 4580

Hi Jean-Paul,

(Nice avitar btw. Is it realy you or are you a big fan of Herman?)

What better (pin compatible?) opamp do you have in mind?
What would be the net benefit of this mod?

Mods on SMD boards in general:

I don't know about you guy's, but I have very bad experience with doing a clean mod on SMD boards without the proper special tools. :(

Henry.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello Henry, although I like Herman Brood I am not a real fan. The nice avatar was given to me by another forum member ( Ststone ).

I would have to see the schematic first but I think AD8620 is a good replacement. Otherwise OPA2604AU ( SO 8 ).

Just cut the pins and then desolder them with desolder-braid.

Re: More pics of Behringer DCX2496 digital X-over

byteboy said:

I think there is not realy so much to "see" inside.

Productin quality is good.
OpAmps are 4580 and ADC and DAQ are from AKM like stated in the documentation.

Are you still interested in mods Petter / RobM ?

Could you elaborate on what and how you would modify:

Are there better DAC's and ADC's which are (software- and pin-)compatible?
Costs?
Is it worth it?

Well, the way I see it, the pictures were worth a thousand words to me. I see a couple of avenues for modding:

Phase 00: Add a ferrite bead on power cord.

Phase 0: Evaluate whether power supply needs to be taken out of unit. Evaluate whether some bypassing near PSU improves sound. Add capacitance anyway (but use high quality stuff), and add an input filter (use a high performance low current unit). Consider adding common mode AND differential mode inductance on secondary.

Phase 1: Replace op-amps + analog filter components. Replace or enhance bypass caps near op-amps, and near DAC chips (both digital and analog).

Phase 2: Replace audio crystal

Phase 3: Replace DAC chips

Phase 4: Consider whether you can clock transport from the Behringer .....

Phase 5: Consider rerouting the wiring to the output

Phase 6..299: Go ask Thorsten (I disagree with some of his stuff, but am very impressed and it often strikes me: How did he think of that -- it is great!)

Petter