Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Behringer DCX2496 digital X-over
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th April 2019, 03:09 PM   #4331
wxn is offline wxn  Lithuania
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagflux View Post
Can you provide details on how you accomplished this? Somewhere years back I posted an idea on how to do this within this forum, but never had the courage to attempt it.
Well you are the author of the solution I even remember having a chat with you about that. Yes, it works and furthermore, I2S input is immune to the dull sound bug that happens with SPDIF input.

Viper_user: I wanted to make a drop in replacement, so I adapted XLR connectors. However my board isn't really balanced, cold pin is only there for impedance balance. For single ended amps that makes no difference
Old 14th April 2019, 03:12 PM   #4332
wxn is offline wxn  Lithuania
diyAudio Member

To anyone interested, here's the I2S wiring post:
XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface
I've been using this for the last 6 years without problems.
Old 14th April 2019, 11:56 PM   #4333
zigzagflux is offline zigzagflux  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxn View Post
Well you are the author of the solution I even remember having a chat with you about that. Yes, it works and furthermore, I2S input is immune to the dull sound bug that happens with SPDIF input
Brave move, but happy to hear it worked. Some day I will try, when I have the equipment suitable for SMT work.
Old 16th April 2019, 01:59 AM   #4334
marabella is offline marabella  Germany
diyAudio Member

Wink Just another cable question

Hello

I'm going to buy a DCX next week. I will use it as an active crossover for a 3-way loudspeaker powered by a 6-channel AV receiver with external RCA inputs.
As input I'll use an USB to S/PDIF converter which is on it's way from China.
To avoid warranty loss I will not do any modifications - the next 3 years. Maybe I will solder a 220 resistor parallel to R15, if the adjustment causes problems.

I confess I did not read all pages and a search left me confused. So I need Your advice.

Referring to this website Sound System Interconnection, should I use:

No 4 for the digital S/PDIF to XLR In? A short 75 Ohm cable and Pin 1 and 3 shorted with a 100nF capacitor as recommended elsewhere here?

No 6 for the analog XLR Outs to analog Ins of the receiver? A 2-conductor 50 Ohm cable?

Kind regards and thanks in advance
Old 27th April 2019, 10:00 PM   #4335
diyAudio Member

Default I did it

Hello

USB to AES/EBU is working fine.

I had to attenuate the XLR to RCA outputs with a 2.2KOhm/9.1KOhm voltage divider inside the cable connectors (1%/0.6W metal film resistors).

No hum, hiss, clipping or frozen eggs syndrom.

Just an unbelievable improvement.

Kind regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DCX2496.jpg (389.2 KB, 139 views)
Old 17th May 2019, 02:07 PM   #4336
jayce996 is offline jayce996
diyAudio Member

what are the minor changes without breaking the guarantee that can be performed on the DXC2496
As well as the main recommendations/settings in its usage? I'm struggling finding this information.

As an example, what i've collected so far is using the AES/EBU input instead of the analog ones.

Note: i'm using it to filter a pair of JBL XPL200 powered by a strong Crown K1 & a gentle AIWA P22 all sources connected to an EMOTIVA XMC1 and this DCX in the middle.

Thanks in advance!
Old 19th May 2019, 06:01 PM   #4337
diyAudio Member

Hello,

I'm no expert and my knowledge about DSP is limited.

I'm using an Acer D270 netbook to play music files (flacs).
It's sound chip is excellent. I've tested it with Holmimpulse and ARTA.
It's drawback: Digital Out only is possible via USB.
JRiver's MC, as media player, best suits my needs.

Of course I didn't want to convert a digital signal (USB) to analog (DCX-input) and again to digital (DCX-output) and again to a final analog output (AVR).

I read a lot of articles and saw brilliant work done by diyaudio members to improve the DCX digital AES/EBU input stage and make it compatible to S/PDIF.

And the very simple solution, as described above, is working fine.
I have generated a 1KHz sine wave in Audacity (amplitude 1.0) so that the clipping LEDs were flashing - both input and output.
My oscilloscope displayed a pure clean wave - no visual distortion. PC-DCX and AVR out.

So, in my opinion, there is no need to improve the DCX's AES/EBU in by using a 75Ohm to 110Ohm conversion. But for security reasons I'm reducing the volume in MC to 88%. So there is no clipping when playing files. MC is doing this through 64bit processing so I guess I'm safe here.

Secondly I don't want to use any equalizer. For now I have experimented with different types of filters, polarities and delays. I use loudspeakers that have a linear frequency response within their area of application. A good (calibrated) mike is essential. I use the volume controls of the AVR to compensate for chassis differences. That's it.

Hope this helps
Old Yesterday, 03:47 PM   #4338
bentoronto is offline bentoronto  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marabella View Post
...So, in my opinion, there is no need to improve the DCX's AES/EBU...
By my amateur measurements, down about 6dB at 5 Hz and about 22kHz. Phase is nice. Distortion near -90dB end to end (that's about .00005%... I don't think I could measure a piece of copper wire better).*

Makes you wonder how Behringer find room to sneak in the distortion that so many folks on this forum want to fix.

B.
*and that includes some elderly second-hand gear in the test set-up with each adding distortion and error
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DCX -6 at 5 Hz.jpg (59.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg DCX dist -90.jpg (53.2 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by bentoronto; Yesterday at 03:53 PM.

Behringer DCX2496 digital X-overHide this!Advertise here!