Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Behringer DCX2496 digital X-over
Behringer DCX2496 digital X-over
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th August 2005, 07:32 AM   #351
ergo is offline ergo  Estonia
diyAudio Member

Yes, for use with DCX2496 the XO2 has an additional logic IC added. Guido has the space for it on standard XO2 also but the parts are not there to do the division by two.

Ergo
Old 7th August 2005, 02:30 PM   #352
oehlrich is offline oehlrich  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default LeCleach Measurements

Today I did some measurements on the LeCeach's aproach regarding phase distortions.

The result was that phase distortion is strongly suppressed by the LeCeach approach. Its method is a very good trade off between linear frequency and linear phase.

Hearing a difference between a normal setup and the modified LeCleach setup also means that phase distortion IS audible (a lot of people say it is NOT!).

Some comments regaring the results can be found here:
http://freerider.dyndns.org/anlage/LeCleach.htm

The images from the oscilloscope here:
http://freerider.dyndns.org/anlage/i...nts/index.html
(Server is up 8AM to 10PM German time)
Old 23rd August 2005, 12:43 AM   #353
KBK is offline KBK  Canada
diyAudio Member

I found a pro-level isolation box on flea-bay, that has 8 'Jensen' grade (5-10hz to 85-90khz) transformers in it. I'm pulling the entire input section OUT of the crossover, and putting the transformers in there instead, with a 2:1 gain in the wiring of the trannies.

I'm looking for the Schematic for this puppy (the DCX2496). Anyone want to send it to me? I'd very much appreciate it. I can figure it out for myself..but... I get tired of that after a while..
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan. Sometimes the claims aren't extraordinary. Sometimes the weakness of men's minds are the culprit. Mass mentality has nothing to do with obviousness or truths.
Old 23rd August 2005, 05:19 AM   #354
thylantyr is offline thylantyr  United States
diyAudio Member

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DCX2496/

files section
Old 23rd August 2005, 06:39 AM   #355
petervv is offline petervv  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default I/O transformers for DCX

hi KBK,

I found a pro-level isolation box on flea-bay, that has 8 'Jensen' grade (5-10hz to 85-90khz) transformers in it. I'm pulling the entire input section OUT of the crossover, and putting the transformers in there instead, with a 2:1 gain in the wiring

I did exactly the same, I removed the I/O board and installed 8 transformers, huge improvement.

I'm looking for the Schematic for this puppy (the DCX2496). Anyone want to send it to me? I'd very much appreciate it.

As already mentioned, the schematics can be found in de yahoo group, there's also a picture of my modified dcx.

regards, Peter
Old 8th September 2005, 01:08 PM   #356
oehlrich is offline oehlrich  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default Re: I/O transformers for DCX

Quote:
Originally posted by petervv
I'm looking for the Schematic for this puppy (the DCX2496). Anyone want to send it to me? I'd very much appreciate it.
Peter,
I have the schematics and I tried to mail them to you but you have not enabled to send you emails via the forum. Please send me a mail with your request for the schematics and I will mail it to you.
Old 19th September 2005, 03:35 PM   #357
sfogg is offline sfogg  United States
diyAudio Member

A somewhat different approach to crossovers using the DCX2496.....

In my two way (soon to be three way) horn system I have been running speaker level elliptic crossovers (very high slope) to greatly reduce driver interaction. The crossovers I am running are the ES600t from:

http://www.alkeng.com/es_xo.html

I wanted to try bi/tri-amping (makes it easier to try different horn/drivers) but I wanted to at least duplicate the slope of the ES600t. The DEQX can do up to 300 db/octave crossovers but since I needed this for L/C/Rs that was way too much money for two of the boxes.

I realized I could simulate elliptic crossovers on the DCX2496 to get much sharper then 48 db/octave it has as a max crossover slope.

This is the line level sum of the high/low pass. A touch of ripple at the crossover point but very minor. Vertical divisions are 10dB, horizontal are 200hz.

An externally hosted image should be here but it no longer works. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.

This is the high pass:

An externally hosted image should be here but it no longer works. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.

This is the low pass:

The hash at the bottom of the response is just the noise floor of the FFT getting into the signal, it has around a 70-80db SNR.

Crossover point is 600hz in this setup. In the first 50hz out the drivers are down about 15dB relative to each other and down over 30dB 100hz from the crossover point.

Shawn
Old 19th September 2005, 04:14 PM   #358
transducer is offline transducer  Canada
diyAudio Member

Shawn, I'm curious about your crossover slopes, currently I'm using the 48dB/octave. Are you combining a 24dB and a notch filter? Can you give me the particulars?

Thanks,
Ron
Old 19th September 2005, 04:36 PM   #359
thylantyr is offline thylantyr  United States
diyAudio Member

What about daisy chaining two DCX's for greater slope?
Fix any gremlins with the EQ.
Old 19th September 2005, 04:59 PM   #360
sfogg is offline sfogg  United States
diyAudio Member

Ron,

"I'm curious about your crossover slopes, currently I'm using the 48dB/octave. Are you combining a 24dB and a notch filter? Can you give me the particulars?"

You are on the right track.

I don't have the exact settings in front of me (I'll post them tonight if anyone is interested) but that response is a composite of a 48dB/octave (the rolloff after the arc) and three parametric filters.

In a nutshell the 48dB/octave crossover is set a little ways away from the intended crossover point.

Then two parametric notches are set closer to the intended crossover point with Q10 and -15dB. Both are set to the same settings. I needed two here since the DCX can only do cuts of max -15dB and I wanted the initial attenuation higher then that. Then there is a third parametric right about at the crossover point boosting response there to keep it flat to the crossover point and to make the initial slope of the crossover sharper... I was a little limited by the Behringer only allowing a Q of 10 and not sharper.

The setting of each filter was done plugged into a real time dual channel FFT in transfer mode so I could setup the DCX and get immediate feedback on how it effected the filters response and the blend between the two. Without having the feedback from the FFT my initial settings were a mess.

It is possible to get even more attenuation by adding more notch filters (two more) such as:

But the initial attenuation of the crossover is much shallower (more blend region between drivers) and with the arc top coming back up 30dB it seemed kind of a pointless to try for that much initial attenuation. It also took more DSP resources from the DCX of course too.

Shawn

Behringer DCX2496 digital X-overHide this!Advertise here!