Behringer DCX2496 digital X-over

Thanks for the input, I have some progress.
I've rewired the CS8420 for slave/slave operation and plugged the USB adapter through I2s ( instructions http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...chronous-usb-i2s-interface-9.html#post2721838 ). Sync issues are gone now, it works perfectly at all sampling rates, any volume. However, the clicks are still present, although not as harsh (very short HF chirp instead of loud pop and some 100ms of silence). Also, they don't seem to trigger the CS8420 bug anymore.

look back a few pages to the spdif-out mod I did. all I have is photos, no schematics, but it was pretty much just data-book based using spdif tx chips.
Thanks, I found it, starting on post #3363 onwards. Nice mod, it's nice the way you can get the signal before it gets to the onboard DAC's, that way you don't have to solder to the legs of the onboard DAC's. I'm tempted to try TOSLINK outputs also, but one thing at a time I think, I'll check out what parts are needed before getting the soldering iron out. :)

Thanks for the input, I have some progress.
I've rewired the CS8420 for slave/slave operation and plugged the USB adapter through I2s ( instructions http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...chronous-usb-i2s-interface-9.html#post2721838 ). Sync issues are gone now, it works perfectly at all sampling rates, any volume. However, the clicks are still present, although not as harsh (very short HF chirp instead of loud pop and some 100ms of silence). Also, they don't seem to trigger the CS8420 bug anymore.

Nice job! I will need to try this sometime.
What about a ground? Could that be the reason you still get a few clicks coming through? You have the signals, but do you have a common from the USB device tied to a common of the DCX?

How much better is the DEQX than the Behringer ?
My modded DCX2496 (Jan output board, Oettle SRC & clock, Jan linear psu) rests in the attic since I got a DEQX PDC-2.6P (with DEQX upgrade) about three years ago.
Speaker correction and phase linear 96 db/oct filters are great - something DCX2496 can not do.
I never ever had some thoughts about going back to the DCX2496.

hth
Ulli

Tried to find answers to these noobie questions, so excuse me for needing to ask. My application is a tri-amped system.

Like a miniDSP 2x8, can each of the 6 Behringer outputs be configured independently for passband (or are the crossovers the same for both L and R inputs) and for some number of parametric filters? How many filters per output?

And like my unsuccessful search with miniDSP, what are levels of distortion, esp. if they can be compared to the ordinary total harmonic, noise, and such traditional specs?

Thanks.

Ben

My modded DCX2496 (Jan output board, Oettle SRC & clock, Jan linear psu) rests in the attic since I got a DEQX PDC-2.6P (with DEQX upgrade) about three years ago.
Speaker correction and phase linear 96 db/oct filters are great - something DCX2496 can not do.
I never ever had some thoughts about going back to the DCX2496.

hth
Ulli

At 10 times the cost i would hope so ... :)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Ben, yes. The DCX can be put into a mode where all 6 channels are independent. Or some parts of them can be linked, if you like. The distortion of the DACs is very low, they are of good quality. However, the analog output is not great. OK below ~1Khz, but HD and IMD rise rapidly above that. The output is also at "pro" level, much hotter than you need for home gear.

First mod is to replace the analog output section. Second mod is to beef up the power supply, at least the analog part. If you use the analog inputs, then replacing that section is well advised.

Tried to find answers to these noobie questions, so excuse me for needing to ask. My application is a tri-amped system.

Like a miniDSP 2x8, can each of the 6 Behringer outputs be configured independently for passband (or are the crossovers the same for both L and R inputs) and for some number of parametric filters? How many filters per output?

And like my unsuccessful search with miniDSP, what are levels of distortion, esp. if they can be compared to the ordinary total harmonic, noise, and such traditional specs?

Thanks.

Ben

You can choose in the "out-xover points" page the "x-over adjust mode" to either (link) or (free). In (link) the settings for one output are applied to the one linked to it; in (free) each output is set for itself. All six outputs can be either full-range, LP, BP or HP.

Ben, yes. The DCX can be put into a mode where all 6 channels are independent. Or some parts of them can be linked, if you like. The distortion of the DACs is very low, they are of good quality. However, the analog output is not great. OK below ~1Khz, but HD and IMD rise rapidly above that. The output is also at "pro" level, much hotter than you need for home gear.

First mod is to replace the analog output section. Second mod is to beef up the power supply, at least the analog part. If you use the analog inputs, then replacing that section is well advised.

Replace with what , I plan on playing with one on the bass/subs units ...

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
OUTPUT CIRCUIT

The DCX output looks like this (see attached).
You should be able to pick up the signal after the 1st opamp (watch out for DC) but I've never tried it.

All you really need is something to block DC out of the DAC chip, a way to go from differential to signal ended, and maybe a little low pass. Passive is OK. I use transformers for this, as they do all of that quite well.

Attachments

• DCX_output.png
    DCX_output.png
    10.8 KB · Views: 275