Anybody using the new ESS Vout DAC (ES9022)?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OT

So you react with Tinitus to aliasing noise ?
Then you are the perfect sensor.

:D need to retest for sure ,now go well fortunately....but I remember to not feel good with nos ...no problem with vinyl ,only analog in the last 4years... probabily the more punch of dac don't help too.
I don't like the cold start of HF coils on one crt tv
JC put some suspect words about digital problem

EUVL, i do not claim that i created a miracle. For example there still is a tiny bit of hum when i put the ear on the speaker but this is really not a tidy setup. It is more like operating on the open brain in free air. After more listening i also found that i overdid it a little bit. There is some tiny amount of air and sparkle missing so i will go to 20kOhm now and see what that brings.
I watched you DAO thread closely because i am a buffer freak. The Hawksford is an older creation that i had conveniently lying around and i gave the design free for DIY. My main buffer is a very different animal. Unfortunately this is a commercial device under NDA. It is called "Suesskind-Reise". What i can say is that i only use bipolars in a cross driven cascode, current mirrored diamond buffer. It simulates with -136dB distortion, only second, no negative feedback. The buffer section in our Paradise phono stage on MPP is the little brother so you can study the schematic in part.
Yes, higher sampling rates ease the work of the filter. My filter in only recommended for 44kHz sampling and only in this particular case.

> i do not claim that i created a miracle.

No, no. I was by no means implying that.

I merely wanted to point out that you went for a super solution with Sowter and turbo JFET follower,
whereas your original circuit was more of the same level as the ES9022 module itself.

So we should check out that (somewhat less super Hi-End) solution in any case.

And most of us have normal 16 bit data mostly. So the filter is useful for those applications.
We never pretended that this is the ultimate hi-end solution.
But as Joachim found out, it can be at least on par with something costing over 100x.

;)

Again, I can only encourage you get some chips and a SMD adaptor board to try it out.
You don't need dedicated PCBs for that to start with.
Just take a look at RayCTech's photo.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...ng-new-ess-vout-dac-es9022-6.html#post2865859

Patrick

It could even be that a carefully designed compact SMD version sounds as good or better.
Sorry i did not find the time to tweak the filter. Tomorrow i will try 20kOhm.
I am even not sure if i already got it right. New ECM records from Manu Katche for example sound just fine and on old Jazz reissues from the 50th and 60th it is just right too.
The sound is now "natural" but not "spectacular" and this is what i am trying to combine.
That frustrates me with CD anyway, the sound varies between recordings a lot, so does dynamic range. Some years ago we measured 500 CDs and we found up to 30dB differences in loudness and from 10 to 14 bit. No one had 16 bit. In general we have discussed if CD is "transparent" on Bob Katz High Resolution Forum.
The consensus is that it is transparent as a playback medium but that better resolution is required in the studio. I think he called that "The Third Hypothesis".

You are smaller and consequentially faster. Well, really i never have seen you in person but you stuff is super compact and that fascinates me. My limit is soldering SMD Opamps to adaptors.
Actually with better equipment i could do better. I am short sighted a lot and without spectacles i can see very well in the near field. That is one of the reasons i do not want to laser my eyes. I would miss that capability.

Actually with better equipment i could do better. I am short sighted a lot and without spectacles i can see very well in the near field. That is one of the reasons i do not want to laser my eyes. I would miss that capability.

Joachim, you are still quite young then... I to was proud of my ability to see sharp in a very closed field but since 2 years back I have gathered all kinds of optical gadgets searching for the perfect close field down to 20x. The best ones so far is stereo goggles (3x) provided by my wife (dentist).

I will buy a microscope to do SMD work in a near future preferably with a videoconnection to tha datamachine - anyone that can hint? Must be cheap though...

BTW: To stay somewhat on topic - yes, I use two variants of the audio-widget usb dacs both using es9023 dacs - the sound is still evolving as it is completely open source both in SW as in HW. I have been reading about windows drivers for a month now and it still seems quite doable to create an UAC2 compliant driver for the windows family (XP being the oldest though). Will it support every darn USB dac on the market - nooooooo. The driver needs a response from the card telling it about what a strange bloke it is. IF the driver accepts the response it is then up to the device to do what it promised.

Brgds

Last edited:
I am now 54 and since two years i have gliding glasses. They are sharper in the far field then in the near field. The fist weeks i had the feeling that i look into a tunnel. Again this is very practical ones you have mastered to move your head up and down. I have three options now. No glasses, medium field, far field. Maybe i am naive but i try to look at getting older in a positive way. My son thinks that i make a lot of rather funny head movements.

I am now 54 and since two years i have gliding glasses. They are sharper in the far field then in the near field. The fist weeks i had the feeling that i look into a tunnel. Again this is very practical ones you have mastered to move your head up and down. I have three options now. No glasses, medium field, far field. Maybe i am naive but i try to look at getting older in a positive way. My son thinks that i make a lot of rather funny head movements.

There is no one fit all jobs tool for us I'm afraid. I'm 51 and getting used to what optical device to use for the job at hand. A positive approach is half of the job as I see it! Enjoy!

Brgds

Last edited:
I have finished the work on the filter-buffer for the EUVL ESS9022 board. It is named 3.1.
To use a higher value resistor did the trick. Now the sound can have the mind drilling penetration i sometime need when i listen to soul or electronic music but it can also sound smooth, dynamic and full playing tube miked Jazz. Modern Jazz and classical has air and sparkle, without sounding sharp. Voices and instruments are just "there", present and natural. See the schematic.
I made other small changes. I raised the amount of local decoupling on the buffer power lines by 470uF Panasonic FM each. I placed the filter-buffer closer and more symmetric to my power amps ( i do not need a preamp, the power amp has a potmeter at the input like in Japan ) so i can use shorter and better cable. I changed the grounding of the cable from the ESS boards from digital ground to analog ground. The tiny hum is gone now. What is left is the noise of my tube amps that they produce by themselves. I have to work on this too to get it dead quiet.
I will post a picture soon.
best, joachim

Attachments

• ESS9022 EUVL Filter 3.1 Schematic.TSC - TINA.pdf
    7.2 KB · Views: 3,908
Here is a picture of the new, more compact setup.

Attachments

• ES9022 Filter 3 picture of setup.jpg
    ES9022 Filter 3 picture of setup.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 4,572
Joachim,

Many thanks for sharing and for the tuning work.
One question -- does R1C1 make a real sonic difference, or you just want another LP at 2MHz ?

The PCB layout is basically finished and measures 30x50mm approximately.
(for 2 channels, with an option to parallel 2 FETs at each location of the schematics)

I'll see if I can squeeze in R1C1 by using SMD pps film caps (Panasonic).
Silver mica would be too large, also expensive.

Cheers,
Patrick

This buffer is very wide band. When you simulate it at very high frequencies ( actually the layout and the PCB plays a role too ) you will see that there is a peak, then a minimum and then again the response can co up. This is because first the circuit goes inductive and then capacitive again. I like to stay out of that region. Also the input capacitance of a Fet is not very linear. I fact it is a very bad capacitor with distortion. The cascoding reduces that effect somewhat. You can use an NPO ceramic. That works well too. It is basically an open circuit in the audible range.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.