4xtda1541a Nos Dac Project

4xTDA1541A DAC

Thank you. Actualy i wired this DAC with one TDA first and listened. Sound was very smooth and accurate. Bass and mids were so good for me but highs were a little bit rolled off. When i complete it, i will listen it again and share my observations with you.
Noyan

I'm playing with TDA1541's too,

how did you chose your components ? did you make some tests before?
my experience with the wima capacitors is that highs were rolled off compared to other brands while mids and bass were great.

As far as digital receivers are concerned the Cs8412 and 8414 are widespread around the tda1541 but have a try with the DIR9001, sound is sharper more focused and yields tense bass.

I tried silmic cerafine in the power supply but the sound was thin compared to Nichicon muse whose balance was much better.

Me too with 1541.

I have 2 in parallel.
With pin16 connected together, it sounds like more detail.
When pin16 was seperated, no big difference compare with single.

With pin16 connected, there is a waveform difference, does it mean it has a more precise dem clock?

What about if I put a dem reclock circuit that I found from EC's thread, did anyone compare this reclock on single and no reclock pin16 connected, which sound better?
Should I connected all pin16 together in 4X 1541?

Will try 4X 1541 once these questions cleared.

4xTDA1541A DAC

Yes, you have to connect them parallel including pin no:16. Otherwise they won`t be paralelled. I have not listened them in parallel yet but, very soon i will. I read the forums and saw that Diy`ers are agree about the Wima MKP-10 Type polypropylene caps are sounding very good. I did not see in anywhere someone complains about these caps are rolls over the highs. Iwill try to find out the reason of roll overing the highs in my dac. Nichicon muse caps are audio grade and i like them. As you pointed out, their balance is better. When we paralell connected four TDA1541A then sound quality should be more better. I know the new DIR9001 IC But i choosed the Traditional CS8412 for more natural sound. If you can compare their price, you will see that DIR9001 cheaper than CS8412. About the re-clock, no. I don`t use it because i believe that TDA1541A is very good device and paralelling them ensures to minimising the clocking faults. In my opinion in this case no need to use external re-clocking circuit.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi to all,

i do also a 4x TDA1541A NOS project based on the assembled Board from Hui Man Ying (raindrop_hui Item number: 220441387885). It is a absolute High-End build !

The output stage is a design from Lukasz Fikus (www.lampizator.eu) with two russian 6n2p double triode in SRPP.

I am just ready with the wiring and made some tweaks:

- 0,47 µF BG NX Hi-Q parallel to all Decoupling Caps of the 4 TDA 1541A

- 0,1 µF BG NX Hi-Q as Decoupling Caps to all outputs of the 7 separate voltage regulators

- 100µF BG N or Sanyo Os-Con SP-Type at the voltage inputs (+5V/-5V/-15V) of the 4 TDA 1541A (follow-up)

- perhaps caps rolling from Wima MKP10 to Mundorf Supreme Silver/Oil or Silver/Gold/Oil

Right out of the box it sounds very promising to beat my PS Audio DLIII with Cullen upgrade Mod. IV.
If i am ready, the DAC becomes a really nice housing... :)

Here the first photos:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Best regards,
dvb-projekt

dvb-projekt said:
Hi to all,

i do also a 4x TDA1541A NOS project based on the assembled Board from Hui Man Ying (raindrop_hui Item number: 220441387885). It is a absolute High-End build !

The output stage is a design from Lukasz Fikus (www.lampizator.eu) with two russian 6n2p double triode in SRPP.

I am just ready with the wiring and made some tweaks:

- 0,47 µF BG NX Hi-Q parallel to all Decoupling Caps of the 4 TDA 1541A

- 0,1 µF BG NX Hi-Q as Decoupling Caps to all outputs of the 7 separate voltage regulators

- 100µF BG N or Sanyo Os-Con SP-Type at the voltage inputs (+5V/-5V/-15V) of the 4 TDA 1541A (follow-up)

- perhaps caps rolling from Wima MKP10 to Mundorf Supreme Silver/Oil or Silver/Gold/Oil

Right out of the box it sounds very promising to beat my PS Audio DLIII with Cullen upgrade Mod. IV.
If i am ready, the DAC becomes a really nice housing... :)

Best regards,
dvb-projekt

Is all pin16 of the TDA's connected together? 470pf or 680pf between 16 and 17?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
fastvideo said:

Is pin16 all connected or not?
If not, did you tried connect them all to see if there is any difference?
I use 470pf.
I see big difference when i have 2 pin 16 connected together.

As i say, i have only connected the output-pins (Pin 6 output right/ pin 25 output left) together to a 28 Ohm resistor for I/U convertion and then to the Tubes.
All other connections (+5V/-5V/-15V ect.) are separat for every 1541A.

dvb-projekt said:
Hi to all,

I am running the same DAC with a CD-pro transport kit. Love it....

I am using 12S as the interface between the DAC & CD.

Reclocked the CD-Pro.

Tied Pin 16 together on each DAC to one DAC as master via a 100PF cap.

Also upgraded to S1 chips.

All of which cleaned up the highs.

johnk

Joined 2009
Paid Member
jstang said:

I am running the same DAC with a CD-pro transport kit. Love it....

I am using 12S as the interface between the DAC & CD.

Reclocked the CD-Pro.

Tied Pin 16 together on each DAC to one DAC as master via a 100PF cap.

Also upgraded to S1 chips.

All of which cleaned up the highs.

johnk

You mean:

TDA Pin 16 ------I
TDA Pin 16 ------I------ 100 pF ------ TDA Pin 17
TDA Pin 16 ------I
TDA Pin 16 ------I

How much improvement gives the upgrade to S1 Chips and where did you get them?

Best,
dvb-projekt

Great implementation! Nice one. It's just begging for oversampling ;)

TDA Pin 16 ------I
TDA Pin 16 ------I------ 100 pF ------ TDA Pin 17
TDA Pin 16 ------I
TDA Pin 16 ------I

Shouldn't that be more like 470pF? I've heard this does offer an improvement. I need to try it myself one day, although I think DEM reclocking feeding all pin 16s would be the optimum (if I can get it working).

According the datasheet, there should be 33 ohms resistors at each TDA1541A (L) and (R) channel. Then, when 4 DAC paralelled, the final value of these resistor will be 33ohms/4. for each channel. Is it right?

I don't recall that from the datasheet. The datasheet suggests opamp IV.
I assume you intend to use this resistance is a passive IV stage, from the output to ground? If so, then yes, you're right the current will be quadrupled, so for the same voltage, the resistance should be quartered.

TDA Pin 16 ------------ 100 pF ------\
TDA Pin 16 ------------ 100 pF ------ TDA Pin 16 ( pick one as the master )
TDA Pin 16 ------------ 100 pF ------/

Still with the 470PF between each pin 16 and 17.

Picked up the S1s from a guy that used to work for a CD manufacture.

But you could buy a few As and select the chips you like the best. Some of the newer ones are said to be very good.

I bought about 8 extra As and tried them to find the ones that sounded the best together. Then went to the S1s.

I wonder what the S2s would do, but I am not willing to pay what they go for.

I also up graded to TOS. I like TOS better than co-ax. And Like the I2S the best.

The better signal you feed the DAC the better it will sound. Every improvement on the SPDIFF signal will be heard. Reduce jitter and sharpen up the signal edges.

I2S is the best in my opinion, as it reduces the component count between the DAC and CD Transport. My CD is directly over the DAC, so the I2S cable is very short, almost like being in the same box.

jk

Joined 2009
Paid Member
samoloko said:
dvb projekt

would you like to post schematic of your dac Incl power supply

I will ask Hui Man Ying, if he had any problem with it.

I need to try it myself one day, although I think DEM reclocking feeding all pin 16s would be the optimum (if I can get it working).

My DAC is working with the DIR9001 (low jitter clock recovery ~50ps), so it is the question if the DEM reclocking is necessary.

At the moment, i feed the DAC over the PC Link II USB to AES Converter.
Quiet amazing !!

My DAC is working with the DIR9001 (low jitter clock recovery ~50ps), so it is the question if the DEM reclocking is necessary.

DEM reclocking isn't about reclocking the I2S signals going into the DAC. Its about clocking the Dynamic Element Matching circuit in the DAC.
It usually uses it's internal oscillator (with the help of the 470pF cap) to generate this signal, but you can use an external clock circuit instead (the DEM reclocker).
By linking up your pin 16s together, your ensuring all the DACs DEM circuits are in sync with each other. The same can be done with the external circuit.

jstang, I prefer I2S too. It not only reduces the component count, but removes a conversion stage (one that converts three or four signals into a single, potentially jittery, munged self-clocking signal).