USB to SPDIF converter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was not be able to get full rez DVD-A through SPDIF from my DVD-A player.
I still want to listen them at full resolution. Now I am wondering if I could stream PCM from my PC using software DVD-A player. The signal from USB would be send to USB – SPDIF converter box.

Is it nay ideas where to get this kind of box, is it any boxes even exist?

Appreciate for any ideas

For playback of high resolution DVD-A on PC via USB you need a DVD-A player capable of outputing high resolution to digital output. I know only about the ripper DVD Explorer, though have no practical experience with it. Perhaps someone will help here.

For playback via USB you need a USB card capable of 96/24 - e.g. E-MU0404USB. Most inexpensive USB cards incl. HagUSB support 48/16 only.

why the obsession with S/PDIF? The best you can do with S/PDIF is 2 channel 96 kHz/24 bit. (you can do 192 kHz in some cases, but this is beyond the official S/PDIF specs). You won't be able to get full-rez multi-channel DVD-Audio on S/PDIF. It won't work.

Your best bet, if you really need full-rez DVD-Audio is to get either a DVD-Audio player with an HDMI output (e.g. Oppo makes some) or upgrade your computer with a video card (or motherboard with on-board video) that supports multi-channel LPCM over HDMI, along with a software DVD-Audio player. (e.g. ATI HD4xxx series cards, or motherboard with nvidia 8200/8300 chipsets, etc... do some research). Of course you also will need a HDMI receiver.

If you only want 2-channel this can be done fairly easily with most computers that have on-board "HD" audio and S/PDIF outputs. Most can be set to 96 kHz digital output.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.