ESS Sabre Reference DAC VS Prism sound ADA-8XR, DAD AX24 and weiss DAC?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
he wasnt asking about the BBBUUUFFFAAALLLLOOO but how sabre compares to those big name pro audio DA-s . Pro audio DA means it drives just about anything happily! Besides those are insanely expensive , while the "B" is "only" expensive . :cannotbe:

1. bet they dont use ASRC in Prism stuff.
2. bet they wont have problem at 192khz, while you need >50mhz clock for sabre
3. you cant sync an >50mhz clock to other gear around , while Pro audio stuff provides all the sync connectors (I/O) .

I'm sure he wasn't asking about Zetex either >.> As for the "expensive" part, Zetex knows how to overprice their semiconductors.
Besides, 1 DAC chip on it's own is uncomparable since datasheets aren't everything, so you will need a testing circuit. One of these is the Buffalo DAC. Read about it and you will get to know the ESS Sabre chip. A good idea would be to look for other "complete" DACs including the mentioned chips above and compare those. It will be much easier also. It's like you'd wanna make apple pie and compare apple against apple, that's not the way to go. My 2 cents.

great. I can lend you a sabre board if you want :cannotbe:

it is closest to the zetex as it is, once we look at zetex as DA+power stage. It indeed works as a PWM dac once we dont use power stage , as confirmed by "iand" at class-d topic.

1. both have asrc
2. 8 out
3. 32bit input / processing

while the ess has no dedicated crossover utility as zetex does, it can do some short FIR . I did some testing but you can't do anything steep with 512 tap filter, let alone we don know if that 512 tap is 2x256 mirrored coefficient for linear phase design / cost saving.

I can say from the experiance working with the ESS
dac, that is very good designed chip. I do not observed any
problem or difficulcy.
If the over-number of options could be used like dis-advantage, maybe so...
The sound is more than good.
I tryed with all 4 dacs per channel in parallel with pasive Riv conversion,
and ballanced to SE interstage transformer.
sound is direct, clear, with good ballance and detail, without harshnes, not mellow at all, but with deep bass... Short...
80Mhz master clock used
chip is not going to overheat, it is just light warm,
one thing I did not saw yet:
very fast locking, almost instantly goin to audio conversion...
the spdif recever, and I2S I tryed, and all was more than good
maybee it will be 5-6 assembled units for sell.
now my friend finishing the programming of the mic. contr.
this is an originall design with ESS chip...
cheers

he wasnt asking about the BBBUUUFFFAAALLLLOOO but how sabre compares to those big name pro audio DA-s . Pro audio DA means it drives just about anything happily! Besides those are insanely expensive , while the "B" is "only" expensive . :cannotbe:

1. bet they dont use ASRC in Prism stuff.
2. bet they wont have problem at 192khz, while you need >50mhz clock for sabre
3. you cant sync an >50mhz clock to other gear around , while Pro audio stuff provides all the sync connectors (I/O) .

There are no issues of the types that you are referring to with regard to the ESS.

:bulb::bulb::bulb:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.