Opening the new DacMagic????

sq225917 said:
The new CA Dacmagic is nothing to do with john, the output stage is basically the same as the one in the 740c cd player.

it's a nice little box, but a whole lot nicer with some decent regualtion multiple PS inlets and a zapfilter for the output.

LC Audio's Zapfilter???
Then the I/V stage is a proper discrete direct coupled Transimpedamce amp?
And the output stage is a discrete direct coupled single ended, with dc servo?
The Zapfilter has both these on the one board
Are you sure?

Cheers George

calvert73 said:
Hi, just bought a DacMagic to play around with, anyone know how to actually open this thing? I've only had it a few days so I'm reluctant to be too keen, I removed the 6 chassis screws from the back panel which seems to have made no difference, HELP!

RC :confused:

Both top and bottom panels are attached to front panel with screws from the inside. You need to remove rear panel first, then use long scredriver to remove one screw that holds top panel center at front. Then pull panel back as there are locking tabs between top and bottom.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Peter Daniel said:
He meant modofications, not the stock unit.

Can read it both ways, he should have put "would be" between but & a .

Wolfson WM8740 voltage output dac has it's own internal I/V opamp convertor, can't be bypassed either, bummer no using the Zapfilter in current input mode which is what it shines at. I prefer current output dacs more room to improve on.

Cheers George

From what I've been told they're usually just your plain Jane NE-5532 or similar, and there's nothing you can do about it as far as doing something better. Like a proper discrete Transimpedance I/V amp, this is why I like current output dacs or Voltage output but with a bypass pin built in for the internal I/V opamp like the PCM56P or the PCM63 has and a host of others.
Cheers George

George, its easy to see he meant modifcation and not stock unit! i notice an increase in noise when the xlr outputs are used for rca inputs, but through the single ended outs there is no noise, this is when volume control on headphone amp is turned all the way up with the source pause. cheers

Hi there,
i´m recently also thinking about upgrading the dacmagic.
Stupid thing is....i can´t find a lot of hints in the internet.
Anybody foud anything?
What do you think about this thing then?

http://cgi.ebay.de/UPGRADE-PSU-FOR-...66:2|39:1|72:1229|293:1|294:50#ht_1926wt_1167

What kind of transformer is meant?

Greetings Ulf

Hello,

I was also searching the net, but you are absolutely right, not much to be found. I really don't now why cause everybody say its already pretty decent as stock unit, and sure has the good potential for mods - especially when you need both Balanced and RCA.

I don't think that the guy on ebay selling that supply is gonna reveal what he uses, only if someone bought it and is willing to open it:smash: