Using a computer for DSP audio goodness???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So here's my idea....

I've been toying around with building myself a sub and nice "monitor" style speakers. I want to power them off of DIY gainclone amplifiers, but I kinda need a crossover and such.

Then a genius idea popped into my head. Why not use my old computer as an audio processing unit? I'd feed the source into the line input, then I'd need at least three channels of output, but five would be preferable (L tweeter, L midrange, R tweeter, R midrange, Sub). Those outputs would be EQed exactly for the driver it's feeding, etc... I'd feed them into seperate amps which would go into the appropriate speaker.

So obviously, I'd need a soundcard with 5.1 analog outputs and line input (not a problem) but I'm wondering about software. I'd need a piece that would take stereo inputs, run them into VST stacks and then out to a specific 5.1 output channel. Any suggestions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.