ac3 and ADAT?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This may have been asked before, but I want to concert a digital signal out of a DVD player to pure analog.

I know that these use DTS and AC3 signals, but I was thinking about using an ADAT converter (like the ADA8000), to convert the signal. This unit seems to have the same bit rates as a surround sound signal, and can concert 8 signals at once (like 7.1). Tried contacting Behringer, but to no avail.

One person I spoke to seems to think it might work, another said it will, but will mix up the channels (not really a problem). Another said no way.

Confusing!

I dont want to use a dolby decoder (so please dont suggest it, I have a beer budget!).

Otherwise, anyone else have an idea how to decode a signal from a DVD player to analog. This is an idea me and some people are working on as a hobby for an outdoor cinema using P.A speakers.

Well, that device is just the DAC part. That means it handles UNCOMPRESSED digital audio - PCM type.
The 5.1 digital output from DVD it is an compressed signal, encoded as Dolby Digital or DTS. This is because on a SPDIF connection you cannot cram more that 2 uncompressed audio channels.
If you want is like the mp3's versus the stereo PCM. DAC's don't know what to do with that signal directly...
So you need a decoder.

So, what your saying is, a 5.1 signal from a DVD player is compressed into a sp/dif signal, and when it goes into a reciever on a home cinema (for example), it is decompressed back into a 5.1 signal?

Do you know of a cheap decoder, (or even a kit), that can concert 5.1 or 7.1 from a DVD player to analog?

I already have a behringer ULTRAMATCH PRO SRC2496, will this help the cause?

The analogic 5.1 channels recorded in the recording studio are compressed in the studio in one (or both) of the lossy formats - Dolby Digital or DTS and put on the DVD as such (see their labels). In this way the bitrate is small enough to save space and to be passed over a SPDIF connection that DVD players have - coax or optical. In the digital receiver, the signal is decoded and results 5.1 digital channels (actually 3 stereo) and these are feeding the DAC's and from there go to the power amplifiers that feed the speakers. You have only the DAC part. A decoder should have DolbyDigital and/or DTS logo on it.

There used to be some stand-alone decoders (Creative used to make one that was USD150 ) but now there are none. New I mean. Maybe because players with integral decoders and 5.1 analog outs are less than $100 now a days. And you can find home theatre systems with about USD150-200.

PS: I don't know if you care, but the stereo signal that comes from a CD it is uncompressed PCM and therefore better quality. The only HiRes surround option is a DVD-A and SACD player.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.