PMD200 for DACdigital filter

hifimaker said:
The PDM200 has a digital attenuator that's supposed to be excellent, plus updated word lengths and sampling rates to support 24/96 digital content.

I have a copy of the data sheet and posted it to my website:

http://www.hifimaker.com/documents/pmd200.pdf

-David

About the Naim cds3, the informations published on the Stereophile in the review of the cd555 also should apply.
http://www.stereophile.com/cdplayers/207naim/

I know the owner of the cds3 and i could ask him to check on the manual. What exactly should I look for?

About the pdm200 specs, I checked your datasheet and it says:
44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192 kHz Input Sample Rate Capable

Are you sure about it being limited to 24/96?

Javin5 said:
The PMD200 is based on the DSP56300 DSP programmable digital signal processor from Motorola. The only datasheet I found (56 pages) states that all specs are preliminary, based on design simulations and not fully tested or guaranteed. It also sais that ordering information will be published when it becomes available. I'm therefore not sure if this has ever been a real product. Maybe an aborted project after Microsoft's acquisition of Pacific Microsonic? On the other hand, some folks here seem to have chips and they also seem to be offered from China. It would be really interesting if somebody could shed some light on the history of this device.

I believe the Pacific Microsonics Model II ADDA studio converter unit
had PMD200 DF in DAC chain.

They are still viewed by many to be the best converters ever made.

cheers

T

I spent a little more time looking into the PMD200. The company only shipped samples of the PMD200 prior to being acquired by Microsoft. Several manufacturers did ship PMD200 products, but they were largely based on Analog Devices DSP, where AD licensed the source code from MS. Again this information is dated back to the time of the merger. I believe the AD DSP part was marketed as the "Melody".

It appears more recently that MS has licensed the PMD source code to additional companies and the licensing fees are approximately $10-$20K upfront and $.10 to $.30 cents per product royalty. The actual fee depends on volume commitment.

All modern implementations of HDCD are embedded in a DSP, where HDCD is largely a minor feature of the product. For example the MediaTek DVD decoder chip used by Oppo and others also enables the suite of Dolby standards for home theater, up-sampling, down mixing, tone, and volume adjustments.

I would seriously doubt these are original PMD200 chips, since they were never manufactured in volume and samples were very restricted.

-David