Experience with this DIY DAC ?

warmed up

Ok maybe this is a stupid question, but is a DAC like this an improvement compared to an external USB sound card like this:

E-MU Systems - 0202 USB 2.0 - USB 2.0 Audio Interface

Here in an excerpt from the specs:

Analog Line Outputs (2)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
Type: Balanced, AC-coupled, 2-pole low-pass differential filter
D/A converter: CS4392
Max Level: 6.7 dBV (unbalanced)
Frequency Response (20Hz - 20kHz): 0.00/-0.01dB
Dynamic Range (1kHz, A-weighted): 111dB
Signal-to-Noise Ratio (A-weighted): 112dB
THD+N (1kHz at -1dBFS): -98dB (.0013%)
Stereo Crosstalk (1kHz at -1dBFS): <-120dB

So for the line outputs SNR is 112dB and THD is 0.0013%.
How much better are these specs for the DAC discussed on this thread ?

Hi
let me share some "news"
I have been using this DAC (E-MU USB 0202) from 2006 but the sound caused listening fatigue after ~1 hour of listening.
I decided to tweak it and added additional WIMA 0.47 caps in parallel to original electrolytics on main board. To main original 2200u/10V cap I soldered 2 OSCON SEPC 270u/16V, one 1000u/63V low esr, 0.47 and 0.33u/63V WIMA. All of those operations took ~15 minutes.
The results are OUTSTANDING!
With StalthAudioPlayer using high quality audio files it plays much better than my moded cdplayers with tube I/V at the output.
The sound now is detailed, relaxed and calming with plenty of the details.
I am highly recommending this dac with tweaked power caps.

Attachments

• _DSC7931.jpg
    _DSC7931.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 491
  • _DSC7932.jpg
    _DSC7932.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 510
  • _DSC7930.jpg
    _DSC7930.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 446
There are some serious design flaws in this DAC.

First is that the contacts of the muting relay are wrongly configured (nc and no contacts are swapped), resulting in a click-sound when switching from/to mute.

Second is the relay circuitry is not able to provide the full 12Vdc coil voltage and sometimes the relay doesn't switch to unmute.

Third is that the chip on the 192KHz sample rate converter board (CS8421) is powered with 3V3 digital core where the specs mention 2.62V max.

This finally killed my upsampling chip by switching the DAC on. I modified the upsampling with a 1N4148 diode providing 2.6V at Vd (pin 3).

Altogether, the DAC really sounds nice :king:

I've attached the jumper settings and schematics for the one who's interested (multipart zip files, remove the last .zip from the filename).

Regards,

Rolf
The Netherlands

Attachments

• IMG_5505.JPG
    IMG_5505.JPG
    209.2 KB · Views: 301
  • dac.zip.zip
    918.1 KB · Views: 133
  • dac.z01.zip
    976 KB · Views: 104
  • dac.z02.zip
    976 KB · Views: 98
  • dac.z03.zip
    976 KB · Views: 95
  • dac.z04.zip
    976 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
thanks for info, have you tried with transformer output or using stock Opamps? kit is cheap though!

I used it with LME49720HA which sounded real good.
It probably, eh, definitely will sound a lot better with your transformers :)

Soekris DAM1021 is more expensive, but definitely a good step-up!

But, I liked AK4495SEQ a lot, and built my own DAC :)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5ivzpgUT3UYU0tMLVdnQ0NodFk/view?usp=sharing

At first I used it with isolated XMOS USB interface, and nowadays using it with RPI3+DAC+Pro I2S direct into I2S input AK4495SEQ.

Software used is LMS 7.9 on Qnap TS-853A-8G nas and PiCoreplayer, latest version, on RPI

Sounds unbelievable good!!!!!!

And, still using LME49720HA......

Bursons V5i and V5's are on the way to test, will write a review for Burson :)

Funny, just came across this but I was about to auction my UTC A20's off as I no longer use my CS4397 transformer output DAC. I moved to and AK DAC with opamp output. I would also be interested to know if anyone has succesfully used transformer outputs on any of the newer DAC chips,

STu

me too...I just don't know if I can live without my UTC's...even have the original boxes still:eek: