Experience with this DIY DAC ?

You don't see any windings grounded on their schematic, do you. You are shunting the output signal to ground. The output is plus and minus, not plus and ground. The shell of the RCA is referenced to ground at your preamp, it should not be grounded to the dac circuit.

Please remove those grounds and turn your output trafos in a different direction, or possibly turn your power trafo a different direction.

Make sure the yellow output lead is connected to your RCA connector shield, and the orange lead is connected to the RCA connector center. From the sound if it, I wonder if it's possible that you haven't done that and what you're actually listening to is the capacitive leakage across the transformers. The loud hum is what makes me wonder if you've got the transformer mis-connected.
Jim

absolute phase

Make sure the yellow output lead is connected to your RCA connector shield, and the orange lead is connected to the RCA connector center. From the sound if it, I wonder if it's possible that you haven't done that and what you're actually listening to is the capacitive leakage across the transformers. The loud hum is what makes me wonder if you've got the transformer mis-connected.
Jim

What difference does it make which leg of the tranformer output leads gets pulled to ground?

Hi,

accidently I have a gigawork dac on loan, and am mighty pleased by it, even with the stock configuration. It is a bit too tame then, but still good, regarding the electrolytics in the output...sacrilege... :xfingers:
Then of course the itch to fiddle or solder or both came up, and first I kicked out the Buffer opamp, sound opened up already. Then soldered 4 wires from the input of the 2,2 µF caps close to the dac-board (they are not in the path now) directly to the RCAs, and from there to the Pass DCB1 I am using.
I pulled out the other opamp, and left everything else as it is. Measured zero DC at the output, so I gave it a try and I am thrilled now. Very transparent and musical:hphones:
But my question is: am I doing anything wrong? No transformer, and no cap in this case, but I am wondering where the 2,5 VDC went. They are still over those 2,2µ caps.
Is it possible that the B1 is doing what a transformer is doing?
Any comments?
Cheers,
Juergen

Hi,

accidently I have a gigawork dac on loan, and am mighty pleased by it, even with the stock configuration. It is a bit too tame then, but still good, regarding the electrolytics in the output...sacrilege... :xfingers:
Then of course the itch to fiddle or solder or both came up, and first I kicked out the Buffer opamp, sound opened up already. Then soldered 4 wires from the input of the 2,2 µF caps close to the dac-board (they are not in the path now) directly to the RCAs, and from there to the Pass DCB1 I am using.
I pulled out the other opamp, and left everything else as it is. Measured zero DC at the output, so I gave it a try and I am thrilled now. Very transparent and musical:hphones:
But my question is: am I doing anything wrong? No transformer, and no cap in this case, but I am wondering where the 2,5 VDC went. They are still over those 2,2µ caps.
Is it possible that the B1 is doing what a transformer is doing?
Any comments?
Cheers,
Juergen

you'll find the answer here...

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/145201-building-symmetrical-psu-b1-buffer.html

Boky

Pardon me if this has already come up... but has the price jumped on the gigawork dac?

I had been saving my pennies for the dac, I think it was $90 or so, without the transformer. Now all I see in the ebay store is $120 (+ extra $10 for shipping).

Is this just a momentary quirk of the Gigawork store, or is that the way it is now? Is the transformer in the kit worth the extra price? It was mmm.... Jan 20 or so I last saw it w/o the trafo.

Pardon me if this has already come up... but has the price jumped on the gigawork dac?

I had been saving my pennies for the dac, I think it was $90 or so, without the transformer. Now all I see in the ebay store is $120 (+ extra $10 for shipping).

Is this just a momentary quirk of the Gigawork store, or is that the way it is now? Is the transformer in the kit worth the extra price? It was mmm.... Jan 20 or so I last saw it w/o the trafo.

I paid $90 + $20 shipping (without transformer) a few months ago. Now it looks as if Gigawork is only selling them with transfomers. Maybe he just hasn't relisted any of the non-transformers kits yet.

You can also get the same board without transformer for $95 with free shipping from here 2010 UP-SAMPLING 24bit/192Hz DAC DA CONVERTER W/USB KIT 24bit/192Hz DAC DA CONVERTER @ USB Kit [217] - US$95.00 : Hifi Diy--Amplifier,dac kits,hifi audio products and parts online shop, shipping to worldwide

Transformers and modules for sale

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/swap...rd-transformers-pcm1798-sale.html#post2458746
For sale shipping included to US addresses:
1 pair Jensen JT-11-YMPC. $50
http://www.jensen-transformers.com/datashts/11ympc.pdf
1 pair Edcor XSM 600/10k. $25
EDCOR Electronics Corporation. XSM600/10K
1 Pair Edcor MXL8CS wired to PCM1798 module for trans I/V out with RCA output connectors and ready to plug in to Gigaworks Big Dac Board. $100
EDCOR Electronics Corporation. MXL8cs
Spare PCM1798 module. $30.

Jensen

Sendler,

What was your final decision on the trannies? I assume your done? :p

I like the Vout dacs better. I never did buy any of the Edcors at 1:1 so I don't know what the XSM would sound like but they are very cheap. The Jensen JT-11-EMCF is probably a little better than the FMCF but they are very close. With the perfect load of my test attenuators, the Dayton foil caps still sound a little better but the transformers sound great into everything. Surprisingly, revisiting the AK4395 vs CS43122 through the new attenuators, I would put them back on par. Different but one not better than the other. The 4395 is better than the 4396.