Budget electrolytic cap for signal coupling

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I would like to upgrade signal coupling caps in car CD player, the original one is 10uf/16v Elna cap.

I usually prefer BGN but I can not afford them in this system. It has 3 dac chips, 1 for each channel and I'll need 24 of them for coupling between DAC and LPF, between LPF and Electronic volume and between Electronic volume and output.

Space is also very limited, vertical space is 11mm. max

Checked on pcx, BG-STD 10uf/16v and OS-con SG 47uf/20v can physically fit in, anybody used to compare them before ?

Any cap around 1-2 $ that will fit well with this application ?

Thanks.

Nichicon Muse SW (subminiature series) - the 10uF, 25V unit is about 4mm (D) x 7mm (H). It should run about 10c or less in volume, and less than a dollar at retail. I use it extensively in the signal path, and it sounds very good (smooth and laid-back) for the money. However, it's an 85c (not 105c) temperature-rated cap - YMMV, but it may still be OK for automotive small-signal applications.

The 105c alternative is the old faithful, Panasonic FC.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Nichicon Muse KZ 10uF/100V are .70 each from Percy or PCx, and IMO sound as good as Blackgates for most applications, specially in series coupling.

If 2$ is your budget, 22uF/6.3V BG NX also comes around that much - I last got from Percy at that price (I think 2.25 or so). the voltage difference isn't very significant in series coupling, the max voltage they will ever see is 6V(12v single supply half-bias point).

Hi both,

Thanks for your comment.

BGNX 22/6.3 is what I normally use, but in this case LPF opamp has a single supply at 8.x volt... I believe I'll need at least 10v. rated cap and BGN 33/16 is going to be too expensive compare to cost of the head unit.

KZ seems very interesting, I used them in power supply part of my rotel cd player and my gainclone amp but never try as signal coupling.

Any further comment are very welcome :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.