Toslink to S/PDIF

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
could there be any improvements done regarding the coax output signal strengths? I mean it's quite low in comparison to other coax ouputs (CD or PCs sound card, etc) and as a result amp needs a considerable increase in volume when the converter is used.

The scheme is the following:
TV (optical ouput) -> converter -> 2 coax of my DAC -> analog output 2 amp.

R1 is currently 374 ohm, could it be changed in accordance to increase coax signal volume?

No, the volume cannot be changed by changing the S/PDIF signal.

The volume is determined by two things:
- the source;
- the output level of the analogue output of your DAC.

First find out if a setting in the TV has any influence on line level outputs (i.e. ananlogue and/or digital out).
If that's not the case, check the specs of your DAC. Usually CD-players and DACs have 2V output @ 0 dB on the analogue outputs. If it's not, that would explain the difference.

thanks! I will check LG LED regarding optical output, though doubt that anything could be configured there.

The DAC is ok, I'm pretty sure as I've done few tests, one of them was to play music via hard drive connected to tv (hard->tv->opticap conv->dac->amp) and then same song via usb from pc connected to the dac with same volume set on amp. All in all, 1st scheme is considerably more silent - I need to add 2-3 hours on my amp.

My media player has volume control on all outputs, including HDMI and SPDIF. If I have set it low, obviously the TV's SPDIF will be low too, so make sure to also check the settings of the sources that connect to your TV.

Sources connected to the analogue inputs of your TV and the TV's own analogue tuner might sound less loud, and there's probably nothing you can do about that. However, a digital source like a DVD-player connected to an HDMI-input (this is important) should sound equally loud, wether connected directly to your DAC or through the TV's SPDIF output.

Last edited:
indeed, it turned out that my led LG provides quite trivial optical signal level. I've made another comparison with PC where both usb and optical sound identical. Unfortunately didn't found any optical signal volume adjustments in the menu, though anyway now I know at least that the problem is not in the converter for sure :) thanks!

OK, the next simplest thing is to build the opto-coax converter yourself. Like the Conrad-device it would be a separate device, so you still don't have to open up anything.

1x TORX177 optical receiver
1x 74HCT04 inverter
2x 100nF capacitor
1x 150nF capacitor
1x 47uH inductor
1x 374R/1% resistor
1x 93R1/1% resistor

The circuit needs a stabilized 5Vdc power supply. If you don't have it, building one around a 7805 voltage regulator is easy. Any 9V or 12V (300 mA or higher) adapter would be able to supply the 7805 with the needed voltage.

Hi, I'm new and late to the game and thank you for providing good information. I'm intrigued to make my own opto-coax. It seems mouser no longer carry TORX117 but I find TORX1353 that is in stock could be suitable. Would 5v from a USB port on a TV be stable enough for the adapter?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.