ESS Sabre DAC -- Give me your Feedback

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
abzug said:

Better turn that smile upside down, because I've confirmed with Dustin that it does NOT.

I'm guessing your comment about the CS43122 has a similar relation with the truth as the one before it.

Really? Check out the US patent 7,116,257 filed by Dustin, etc. and it clearly shows what is there. Are you sure we are talking about the same capacitor or even the same Dustin? ;)

You know, not every Ferrari owners know how to drive Ferrari. Some even claim Corolla runs better.

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
The patent you link to is about a PWM circuit. It's not a description of the ESS device we're discussing.

CS43122 has a switched capacitor filter.

I asked Dustin Forman, who designed the Sabre DAC, specifically about the filter shown in the datasheet, and he said it is NOT a switched capacitor filter, just a programmable notch filter that can be bypassed.

abzug said:
The patent you link to is about a PWM circuit. It's not a description of the ESS device we're discussing.

CS43122 has a switched capacitor filter.

I asked Dustin Forman, who designed the Sabre DAC, specifically about the filter shown in the datasheet, and he said it is NOT a switched capacitor filter, just a programmable notch filter that can be bypassed.

Wait a minute, are we playing word games here? ;)

A programmable notch filter with no capacitor? Switched capacitors have been part of patent fight between Cirrus and Wolfson so what do you expect from ESS to say or to design? There are several design techniques around this filter, that's it. Everybody can play games with it.

PWM patent? Can you read a patent doc properly? Well, if you call ring DAC architecture and its output summation circuit a PWM then I will say all males in this world are part of human being. This is like saying nothing.

The patent is dated Oct 2005. If Dustin's team had come out something without the need for a capacitor between 2005 and 2007 then it would be a major breakthrough. This would even rock your so called *PWM* world. Too bad I have not heard of it yet.

Looks what Linn had done with 4397 before you start to say switched caps sound bad. So notch filters will always sound better? If you bypass this one, you still need a filter somewhere down the stream.

agent.5 said:

Why not, if you have concluded that the TDA1541 is the Ferrari.

Exactly! TAD1541 is like an oldie super Ferrari which can still give new Ferraris a hard time
if you know how to drive the Ferrari right!

I have found the whole arguement funny. WM8740 has switched capacitors, CS4398 has switched capacitors,
CS43122 has switched capacitors. I was saying it would be a better idea to compare WM8740 with CS43122,
not with CS4398. Then someone came out and claimed that CS43122 had average sound
because it had switched capacitors.

So WM8740 would sound average, too, because it has switched capacitors?
And something which most people have yet got a hand on will sound better because
superficially it does not have switched capacitors?

Not even mention notch filter can be built with SCF. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.