ESS Sabre Reference DAC (8-channel)

How hard would it be to have a 5-7 channel version of the DAC board that would support the DSD and all that? I'm guessing it would mostly be just rewiring the outputs and what not. But I'm most likely wrong. Not sure I would need a 7 channel...probably wouldn't be something that people would order a lot either so take this question with a grain of salt :)

Ross,

Well im very pleased that you have put the part under a microscope and exposed a few things. ALso the fact you are happy with the sound with a couple tweaks of yours is really good. Are you planning to make a DIY kit from your experience or is Russ the one that takes care of most of these? It would be awosme to get this DAC into many hands to see the potential it has. I ask this since doing the PCB's is really not the business my company is in, but its necessary in order to get the part to anyone who wants it.

Dustin

Dustin, doing PCBs is my business. I have been designing PCBs professionally for over 20 years.

I started very young

:D

I have designed hundreds of boards, and some of them have reaped $ millions in sales. I didn't get a commission :bigeyes:

The Twisted Pear guys have a nice setup because they have assembled boards for sale. The boards I have sold here on this site have been bare board kits with documentation.

Dustin,

I can only speak for myself, but I do plan on doing DIY kits and PCBs. If this things works out as well as I hope, I think there will quite a few of these out there.

I will actually be ordering my first batch of PCBs for this chip in the next day or two. Probably Monday. So expect a lot of questions between now and then. :)

Brian Donegan is my cohort and friend. He handles the kit side of things, I just design circuits/PCBs. :)

Cheers!
Russ

Re: Re: PCB top (preliminary)

dusfor99 said:

Just to throw this out there for everyone using the part, we have found that the MOST inportant thing in order to get the THD to be in the >-116 region, you really need a nice line of sight solid ground plane back the AGND_L and AGND_R. Basically, the ground plane should have as little inteuprtions to these returns from the load (the I/V converters)

Simply rerouting grounds we have seen 10dB differences in THD performance.

Dustin, would you recommend against doing I/V on a seperate board connected via wires then?

Dan

I understood what Dustin was trying to say as just to make sure your I/V GND has a direct uninterrupted path to the AGND pin.

I actually think noise wise there may be some value in isolating the I/V stage from the rest of the DAC. At least this has proved true in the past.

One other consideration is flexibility. What if you decide to try a new I/V scheme? Or, even treat the DAC as voltage output?

Cheers!
Russ

rossl said:
I have never heard a CD that needed de-emphasis.

I think it can be ignored. :D

Oh I certainly agree it probably not worth bothering with!

That said, I actually do have several older CDs that do have pre-emphasis. But I rarely play them.

It just seemed like a natural thing to do.

You would be amazed how many emails I get asking about it.

Cheers!
Russ