ESS Sabre Reference DAC (8-channel)

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Question for you engineers: I'm lifting I2S from single circuit board vias and supplying multiple DAC chips. Signal clocks, for example, go from 1 source to 5 different destination chips. It does work to daisy-chain these inputs from one board to the next. Still, is it preferable for each input to originate as close to the source as possible? TIA!

Frank

Homeruns would be preferable. you actually might want to buffer the signals, since you are paralleling so many sinks.

I would think that buffering would be advisable and necessary but I do not know what is used for buffering of I2S. Could you please elaborate little bit more in detail what is used for this purpose. I know how to do it for S/PDIF but I do not think that same way could be done for I2S.
Thank you.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Thanks Brian! ... and troubleshoot as necessary after all the I/O is restored...

...looked into this a little more. In my case, I see that the source is a Xilinx XC9500 series CPLD. The data sheet is not helpful in forecasting specific drive limitations except to say that pulses should be limited to 200mA and the overall junction temps should be 70C or less even though it is tolerant much hotter. So when I power back up I'll monitor that chip and make sure it is not running hot. I could give it a heatsink! :D Also, there are two onboard DACs that I could deactivate. I'm taking considerable care to keep all the I2S lines a minimum length, so my fingers are crossed that a buffer won't be necessary because I don't know where I'd put it.

Hi,
I have one Q
(Maybe Brian is most qualified person to answer...)
I have Sabre dac playing (very good)
in factory settings 80MHz MCL, 24bit, i2S, Ioutput, 50KHz/fast roll-off, jitter reduction
and L/R 4 X DAC ballanced out.
My Q is can I set the PIC to SET all DAC units inside to single ended Iout
to one channel?
I want use single chip per channel and I do not need ballanced outs...
?
Thanks
And thankk You Brian for the great great DAC chip
:)

Hi,
I have one Q
(Maybe Brian is most qualified person to answer...)
I have Sabre dac playing (very good)
in factory settings 80MHz MCL, 24bit, i2S, Ioutput, 50KHz/fast roll-off, jitter reduction
and L/R 4 X DAC ballanced out.
My Q is can I set the PIC to SET all DAC units inside to single ended Iout
to one channel?
I want use single chip per channel and I do not need ballanced outs...
?
Thanks
And thankk You Brian for the great great DAC chip
:)

You can set all DACs with the same phase if that is what you are asking... Take a look at the datasheet...

I went through the sheets,
and i saw the option to switch the phases opposite
BUT
I think that there is no point because
the dac unit (like for the example dac1 to 8
are still ballanced...)
and
turning the phase in mean that You can get only oposite phases
against factory setting...
I simply could not find the information how to split
the + and - Iouts from the single dac unit inside?
Or maybe I get it wrong?
thanks

can I employ 90.3168 MHz master clock with Sabre dac?
( 90.3168 MHz = 4 x 22.5794 MHz = 4 x 512 x 44.1 KHz )
As for ES9018, I have tested 80, 96, 100 MHz and my co-worker in Japan tested 92 MHz as well. No problems for all the frequencies as long as you play <= 192 kHz. Only if you play 352.8kHz audio files on OSF mode, it's better to use 96 or 100 MHz.

(To say exactly, 512 x 44.1 kHz = 22.5792 MHz )

Last edited:
Thank you Bunpei,
I have the board bunpei mentions, the ElectrArt USB-Dual-Audio, and am now enjoying DSD playback from my PC to the ES9018 Buffalo-II DAC. Both 64fs 2.8Mhz and 128fs 5.6Mhz are supported, both playback and record. I started a thread with more details. Just want the DIY community to know DSD is here.

btw, price was $384 shipped to the US built and tested, including unpopulated DSD1794a DAC and PCM4202 ADC and meter/sample rate led pcb.

Last edited: