Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

ESS Sabre Reference DAC (8-channel)
ESS Sabre Reference DAC (8-channel)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th July 2018, 09:11 AM   #2601
CFT is offline CFT  United States
diyAudio Member

To save some time on this discussion, here is the long thread documenting the develepment journey of the sdtrans384 sd card player and the 9018 syndac by Bunpei.

MicroSD Memory Card Transport Project

Its one exceptionally fine digital files playback system, really quite amazing. I had the pleasure of auditioning it at the MJ Audio Festival in 2017 that Bunpei mentioned and reported the event on my webpage.
Old 16th July 2018, 09:44 AM   #2602
victor910 is offline victor910
diyAudio Member

But this system is COMPUTER.
Old 16th July 2018, 09:53 AM   #2603
Bunpei is offline Bunpei  Japan
diyAudio Member

The primary purpose of my initial post is not to argue “CD-player versus PC” but to express our comment on the superiority of ES9038PRO and our gratitude to designers and manufacturers of the DAC chip.
I can just say, the more you make efforts on eliminating a various kind of noises, the better music the chip plays.
Old 16th July 2018, 03:13 PM   #2604
francolargo is offline francolargo  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunpei View Post
I can just say, the more you make efforts on eliminating a various kind of noises, the better music the chip plays.
Impressive work! Your 9038 output is current mode, driving active speaker amps without transformers?

Regarding noise, I am certainly not a purist. However, the sound I hear via I2S coming through opto-couplers is no different whether the I2S source is complex and noisy or simple and presumably quiet. Do you include isolators or have you tested optocoupling of I2S/DSD in your system?
Old 16th July 2018, 10:20 PM   #2605
diyAudio Member

My recent configuration includes no transformers at the output side of the DAC. I’m not sure there is no transformer in the analog signal path because ADAM A7X may have a line transformer at its input for isolation.
Neither I’m not sure that the configuration is “current mode” because the A7X must have input impedance 300 ohm for XLR input.

The interface for I2S/DSD-raw between SDTrans384 and ES9038PRO Dual Mono DAC adopts LVDS, incorporating isolators.
Old 17th July 2018, 01:55 AM   #2606
zenelectro is offline zenelectro  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I am a self-certified “fanboy” of ES9038PRO DAC chip.

For two and a half year, my friend Tetu and I always making their efforts in improving their own DIY ES9038PRO DACs respectively by exchanging information frequently. Our common opinion is “ES9038PRO is the best commercial DAC chip currently available. However, not so much DAC devices that have fully exploited the potential supreme sound quality built in the chip are in the market. Fortunately, both of us can recognize the excellence by improving continuously power supplies, master clocks, I/V stages and so on. Whenever we listen to music played by their DAC and perceive amazing information retrieved from 44.1kHz/16bit sources, we spontaneously feel our sincere gratitude to designers and manufacturers of the DAC chip.

Attached is the photo of my current system.
On a two storied wood board, SD memory card player, SDTrans384 and Chiaki’s ES9038PRO Dual Mono DAC are assembled without any IV stage. Most of the weight of the system is from power supply units. As a master clock source, NDK OCXO DuCULoN is adopted. Most of the rectifiers are GaN E-mode HEMTs.
Bunpei

That is an amazing effort my friend.

I love your extreme approach to every detail of this DAC. People like you
make this forum worthwhile.

cheers

Terry
Old 17th July 2018, 02:08 AM   #2607
diyAudio Member

Quote:
My recent configuration includes no transformers at the output side of the DAC. I’m not sure there is no transformer in the analog signal path because ADAM A7X may have a line transformer at its input for isolation.
Neither I’m not sure that the configuration is “current mode” because the A7X must have input impedance 300 ohm for XLR input.

The interface for I2S/DSD-raw between SDTrans384 and ES9038PRO Dual Mono DAC adopts LVDS, incorporating isolators.
Bunpei,

I don't think the A7X has an input transformer. Generally speaking pro audio,
line level input gear for 'transparency' these days stay away from signal
transformers.

Terry
Old 17th July 2018, 02:19 AM   #2608
diyAudio Member

Quote:

My policy excludes any USB involvements. Only AES67 is acceptable for me.
Bunpei,

WRT AES67, is this Ethernet protocol for your SS transport?

Do you know of any other (readily available) hardware that supports 384k using AES67?

Terry
Old 17th July 2018, 03:34 AM   #2609
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenelectro View Post
WRT AES67, is this Ethernet protocol for your SS transport?

Do you know of any other (readily available) hardware that supports 384k using AES67?
Hi, Terry!

I appreciated your comments very much!

Yes, AES67 is a specification built on Ethernet technology. I have no devices that support the interface. I have just tried it a little bit by using Merging Pyramix/HAPI. It covers multichannel 384k and DSD256.
Old 19th July 2018, 07:31 AM   #2610
Markw4 is offline Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

The Adam A7X user manual says the input impedance is 30kohms, and that it uses switch-mode amplifiers. Probably the best amplifiers of that type are those made by Bruno Putzeys.

Regarding input impedance for professional audio balanced inputs, usually they are 'bridging' which means high impedance. That is so multiple loads could be driven by one one line amp. If desired, a 600-ohm terminator could be added to the last device in the chain. Some amplifiers used to have a switch on the input panel to add a 600 ohm termination resistor if desired, but that practice seems to have become very rare in modern times.

Therefore, most likely the DACs are operating in voltage mode. Doesn't matter I guess if it sounds good then it sounds good, right?

ESS Sabre Reference DAC (8-channel)Hide this!Advertise here!