ESS Sabre Reference DAC (8-channel)

By the way, how is the recent progress of your "8 channel DXD play using exaU2I" project?

I visited the 2L studio and listened to their DXD surround setup..

The "strange" feeling to leave the 2L studio (DXD surround setup) and play the DXD masters on my 2 channel setup without "missing" anything of the surround setup. The improved fidelity of the 2 channel setup - more than compensated for any "extra" surround effects..

Later I have been able to improve the 2 channel setup in many steps..
Switch from Windows players to OSX and then to Linux MPD.
Switch from exaU2I to other USB -> I2S adapters.
Start using the galvanic USB isolation.
Start using 9 bit true mode.
Improved versions of the AMT fullrange speakers.
Improved versions of the JFET class A amplifiers.
Improved versions of the mains filters.
Improved versions of mains, USB, signal and loudspeaker cables.
++++

Hi,

I am/was considering one of these ess sabre 9018 dacs, however I dont see much detail in the data sheet? And also i have read that the 32-bit spec is misleading..to those who listen in the analogue world at least ;)

So what What makes these dacs worth the cost?

I am on the verge of going with AD/TI now, primarily because of the clear and complete documentation and the warm feeling it gives me!

Cheers
Craig

To Raymond,

I appreciated your recent updates for your 2L DXD 8 channel surround play project very much.
I understood that you don't need the 8 channel surround anymore and you have stopped using exaU2I for that purpose.

In the improved item list in your previous reply, I could not find your proprietary hyper DSD DAC yet.

Bunpei

I understood that you don't need the 8 channel surround anymore and you have stopped using exaU2I for that purpose.

No not due to channel count -> due to improved fidelity...

In the improved item list in your previous reply, I could not find your proprietary hyper DSD DAC yet.

Quite true -> I am now finishing a new basic system design with USB, SPDIF, LVDS (I2S) and analog inputs. Analog and LVDS (I2S) outputs. All digital inputs, outputs and clocks are galvanically isolated. Synchronous clocking with multiple Master clock frequencies. JFET analog inputs and outputs with analog volume control. Both a true analog preamp design (also JFET RIAA) and a mixed analog / digital design with PCM and DSD ADCs.

The DAC sections are modular with separate replacable and selectable DAC modules.
The proprietary DSD/PCM DACs are under re-design to implement new options and also Thunderbolt (optic), PCIe (galvanic isolated) and Gigabit ethernet inputs / outputs / connections will be implemented and evaluated... Time alone will reveal the final results and I have no other deadline than my own curiosity.... And as "curiosity killed the cat" -> I have no hurry other than listening to the accumulating revisions...

Thank you Ray.
Do you think if there is any possibility of using these outstanding transformers for any other isolation besides S/PDIF, like I2S or I2C, or even USB without DC? I know that they are made with 192KHz in mind, but I could almost bet that 384KHz would not be an issue. Now if they are used for any other purpose there is a question of their termination in my mind, which is already above my knowledge.

ES9008 mono mode ?

Hi
Dustin, (or somebody else)
please
point me how to set the registers for ES9008
model in dual mono operation, 2 dac chips
?
As for the model ES9018 that issue is clear enough, for the model ES9008
IS NOT
But in the datas for the ES9008 written values for booth, stereo and mono
mode for the chip, so somehow is possibile to set the registers.
I am running now 2 dacs with glue-logic I2S splitted from
standard I2S L/R to I2S L/L + I2S R/R for each chip
want to try avoid glue logic and set with a PIC each chip for each channel
Thanks
Z
:)

I am running now 2 dacs with glue-logic I2S splitted from
standard I2S L/R to I2S L/L + I2S R/R for each chip

With your I2S splitting you just run the DAC chips in 2 channel mode and sum the outputs.
Set the DAC up for 8bit true mode and the inputs are sourced correct.
If you can re-arrange the outputs easily you could also run the two channels in opposite phase and sum the re-arranged outputs - this way you get a balanced digital path and reduce both the power rail and gnd noises...

Last edited:
Thanks Ray
It is already working this way
two identical ES9008 dacs each with own identical power supply
the outputs are already summed, balanced line driver to interstage
bal to SE followed by output SE buffer.
I think that is pin 41 is set to high both dac chip the same?
Maybe the seting one ADDR pin 41 to 0 and other to 1 will be enough?
DACs are without PIC, just factory settings.
(the data inputs are on factory presets inputs, 4 times, same data on 4 pins...)
Bcause It is clear in datas that chip are tested in mono mode
values given for mono and stereo mode,
I think to put it in the operation via microcontroller?
And disconnect glue-logic module.
BUT
the datas are confused, and NO clear way how it could be done
with ES9008 model?

Last edited:
Seems you are running the chips in default mode (h/w mode). You need a microcontroller to set the chip to mono and also to set the chip to 8-bit true differential.
Even if you set them with different addresses, they will still power up in default mode (8-channel, etc)

I suppose you have a copy of the datasheet?

As the I2S are split to L/L and R/R he can get better performance by running in 2 channel mode and setup optional. Only if there are standard L/R I2S would mono setting be required.