Go Back   Home > Forums > > >

CSS Creative Sound Solutions (CSS) is a service-oriented provider of high-value speaker components for the DIY loudspeaker builder

Old 4th February 2021, 05:04 AM   #1
Zuman is offline Zuman  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Finished my CSS Criton 2TD-X!

I've been running a pair of KEF LS50s, powered by a Peachtree Nova 125SE fed by an NAD M50.2 digital vault/player and an upgraded Rega Planar 1 with Nagaoka cart and Schiit Mani preamp. I've been pleased with the sound with solo voices and small instrumental ensembles even when they rock out. But the LS50s sound congested to me with orchestras and complex overlaying voices.
I decided to explore DIY speakers and settled on CSS' Criton 2TD-X two-way standmounts after CSS told me that the previous version's tweeter was being upgraded. I wanted a little more muscle than the LS50 could provide, but I didn't want to sacrifice detail and transparency for smoothness and comfort.
I am absolutely thrilled with the result. I began this project to get better sound, so that was most important to me. The Critons give me impressive bass, rich mids, and you-are-there highs. I'm still tweaking the toe-in, but I have freakily holographic imaging, even though the image is tilted slightly left at the moment (it's my room, not the speakers). I have the Critons on 28" Pangea DS400 stands (filled with sand), and the combination is both heavy and awkward to move around!
I opted for the flatpack and the upgraded crossover. I'd never built either before, and assembling the second one of both was definitely easier than doing the first! Peter Rawlings is both the world's nicest human being and an outstanding woodworker, and he bailed me out more than once during the enclosure construction and veneering.
The only nonstandard things I did were lining the cabinet with GR-Research's NoRez, replacing the interior wiring with 12-gauge, routing 3/8" roundovers on the left and right vertical edges of the baffle, and the veneer wrap. Oh, and I used hurricane nuts and machine screws to secure the drivers rather than just tapping into the MDF. I chose 10 mil paper-backed bubinga veneer and HeatLock glue, and it was my first veneering job ever. I didn't stain it...just treated it with Howard Feed-N-Wax Beeswax and Orange Oil.
My first hifi love was my pair of Martin Logan CLS electrostatics more than 30 years ago. I'm older and wiser now, but I'm very excited to have discovered romance again!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Criton2TDX.jpg (762.3 KB, 208 views)
Old 4th February 2021, 08:20 AM   #2
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Finished my CSS Criton 2TD-X!
:^)

dave
Old 4th February 2021, 09:52 AM   #3
plund is offline plund  United States
diyAudio Member

Nicely done!
Old 22nd September 2021, 10:21 PM   #4
jcsperson is offline jcsperson  United States
diyAudio Member

Nice!

2TDs are on my short list of kits to buy.
Old 26th September 2021, 12:10 AM   #5
JT120 is offline JT120
diyAudio Member

I see they now have the 2-TD-X tower which is MMT. Anyone built these yet?
Old 25th November 2021, 06:12 PM   #6
Jujeee is offline Jujeee  Ukraine
diyAudio Member

Thats cool
  Reply to this post

Finished my CSS Criton 2TD-X!Hide this!Advertise here!