• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

New Made in Canada 22mm Tweeter Series $70 a Pair

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This new series of 22mm soft dome tweeters are our first "Made in Canada" offerings. They are the tweeters in our new V1, V2 and V3 kits and will also be an option in our new ML-TL in development. Packed in pairs both mounting screws and sealing gaskets are included.

LD22FLAT.jpg

The LD22F has a more conventional face plate offering.

LD22CURVE.jpg

The LD22C has extremely good off axis response for a great imaging presentation.

View attachment LD22 Low Distortion Tweeter.pdf Updated

Last edited:
These look very interesting...

What type of measurements were you planning on publishing?

I would be very interested in seeing:
  • on- and off-axis frequency response curves out to at least 60 degrees (90 deg is better) every 10-15 degrees or so on a large baffle
  • level of 2nd-5th harmonic at 85dB@1m and 95dB@1m SPL (e.g. linear distortion testing)
  • driver impedance from 1kHz-10kHz zoomed into the "baseline" region

These tests are not difficult to do and would clearly show the quality of your product.

I truly wish that more detailed testing of this type was more commonly available from manufacturers, but DIYers are left to rely on a shrinking handful of generous people who publish their own testing results.

-Charlie

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for your input. Do you have any examples from manufacturers who provide this sort of data for a $35 tweeter?

We are looking at 2 types right now. One would be measured on the typical "kit sized" baffle where we have experience with the kits we're making available. Second, Patrick at Red Rock Acoustics is doing some new measurement techniques which I don't think are public yet and so we've talked about that with him.

Later
Bob

Patrick at Red Rock Acoustics is doing some new measurement techniques which I don't think are public yet and so we've talked about that with him.

I looked at that company's web site. Impressive.

But there is a huge gulf between what is currently offered (by CSS and most other companies) and the testing methods listed at Red Rock Acoustics. Most DIYers don't need a full Klippel analysis of the driver. We would be thrilled with linear distortion measurements, however. With just a one time $200-$300 investment you can make all of the measurements that I described "in house", over and over again, on every model of driver you produce, now and in the future, and it's not all that complicated.

As I am designing a lot of kits for this tweeter there is more than enough measurements for the tweeter.
I have done and do acoustic measurements from 0-40 off axis and we have those for the kits using a 7" wide baffle to a 10" wide baffle.

My measurements with Praxis, I can provide all measurements for Bob at a moments notice.And as we (Bob and I) meet normally at my place every week Bob knows me very well.Bob gets to not only see the measurements watch me do some measurements but also listen to any crossovers before the crossovers are complete

Having Red Rock do the measurements for the drivers is smart move to have a non bias party do such complete measurements.As well with the complete measurements Bob is making a step in the direction you just mentioned.Having complete measurements done not only on a IEC baffle.

With Red Rock doing the data then myself doing other measurements for CSS. CSS customers will have reliable set of parameters as well as measurements on several baffle widths.

Below is the measurements for the NEW CSS LD22C and LD22F Tweeters.Most of this info is in the PDF on the CSS site plus above.For those not wanting to click and download here.

LD22C on 10 inch wide baffle on axis
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

LD22F on 10 inch wide baffle on axis
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

LD22C on 10 inch wide baffle 0-40 off axis

LD22F on 10 inch wide baffle 0-40 off axis

LD22 nearfield waterfall plot

LD22C impedance

LD22F impedance

LD22C impedance data

LD22F impedance data

LD22 tweeters compare the LD22C to the LD22F on axis frequency response.This shows the difference between the 2 tweeters on axis.

Last the LD22 tweeters off axis compare both tweeters 40 off axis.

More data will follow once RED Rock completes the testing on these tweeters.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.