• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Planar 2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I haven't seen much info about the Planar 2 and wanted to know more. So I did this

I haven't made a baffle yet. My measurements will help me decide. I did use it laying sideways like that on purpose. And it does work. The horizontal directivity is pretty good like that. At the expense of vertical directivity and some raggedness past 30d. But it's over 6db down so the raggedness is somewhat negligible. I'll make up my mind after some listening.

Here's how it measured.

Green is a 95db/w/m woofer!!! So this tweeter is very sensitive. I measured the tweeter with 20uF in front. I wasn't ballsy enough to measure wide open even though that's what I normally do.

I'm gonna fit a baffle now that I know it works on it's side and whip up a preliminary cross over.

So far, colour me impressed! Very smooth. Look at that very clean impulse response. Very high sensitivity. The impedance sweep is dead flat. I really like it.

If anyone is interested in how the final speaker turns out, I'll post up details as I go.

Very interesting.
I am working with a similar tweeter in a MTM with a pair of 8" plus a large center channel which uses 4 smaller units.These designs are for another OEM.
Interested to see what you find.
I ended up with a second on the woofers with a 3rd on the tweeter crossed over just below 2k.

Well I find it's to directional with the tweeters horizontal. I'm gonna try vertical and hope there isn't a directivity mismatch or to narrow of a vertical lobe. If that's a problem as well, I'll try an 8" woofer.

The problem is the sweet spot. It's incredibly narrow. Literally 6" to the left or right and the stereo image goes out the window. In that sweet spot it sounds like headphones, which is actually quite nice IMO, but some people don't like that. It's very trippy.

This tweeter is really delicate and powerful all at the same time. It's really nice. Easy to work with too. Can't wait to hear it in an optomized speaker (if I can get my crap together :D ).

Well all I did was flip the tweeter vertical and the improvement is remarkable. Very tight imaging and excellent response. Very sensitive and powerful sounding.

Last night I played with tweeter padding. It's pretty bang on now. Gonna get some measurements done hopefully this weekend, and my work may be done! As long as the narrow horn can match directivity with the 10" woofer, I'll be doing good.

I've spent some time with these now with the tweeter vertical and I am really enjoying it. I think I've landed my XO and plan to measure later today. Ill post some pics and the measurements.

I watch Die Hard 5 and Bullet to the Head over the past couple of nights and stupid loud levels. My 4 Trio 12 subs struggled to keep up to these while these speakers sounded effortless and smooth. Very realistic, very low distortion, very dynamic, very fun. I will probably bring these to DIY Van Isle.

On axis and reverse null

onaxisandrevnull_zps358ba903.png

On axis, 30 degrees, 60 degrees.

03060_zpsa6f3e14a.png

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.