• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

WR.30 MTM new speaker kits

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes more speaker kits coming to Creative Sound Solutions..
These kits will use the WR125STR drivers with XBL plus the Wavecor TW030WA01 tweeter.These designs around the use of the Parts Express cabinets .50cft Hi-Fi Speaker Cabinets in the Speaker Components Department at Parts Express | 288
Dayton Audio TWC-0.50CH 0.50 ft³ 2-Way Curved Cabinet Cherry 302-723

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

This new WR.30 kit will come with a pair of CNC PRE-MACHINED yes you are reading pre-machined driver holes.With the drivers all cut the back of the baffles radius around the driver holes for max acoustic benefit.Enjoy the easy assembly of a complete speaker with the PartsExpress cabinets, the WR.30 kit can be assembled in a few hrs time.
Here is a sample photo of the PRE-Machined baffle beside the cabinet.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Woodworks who want to build the cabinets not to worry the PRE-MACHINED CNC baffles included in the WR.30 speaker kit can be used on your speaker cabinets you build and if you do not like the satin black finish provided on all the PRE-MACHINED baffles you are welcome to sand the finish and apply your own finish.

With this kit I have designed WR.30 speaker kit a few ways for some HOME THEATER customers.
#1 Sealed MONITOR with a FS of 92hz for the home theater crowd as well those who like to use the sealed design matched with a SDX12 combo.
#2 Sealed WALL MOUNT for home theater use
#3 Ported MONITOR

The base line price for these kits will be in the $249.00 range for a pair!! Yes a pair :yikes:
including
4-WR125STR drivers
2- WAVECOR TW030WA01 tweeters
2-PRE-MACHINED CNC baffles
Crossover parts
Wire,solder,screws and a DVD with all the info needed for the kit.:clap:
These kits are a limited number as the WR125STR drivers are in a limited supply and once the WR125STR drivers are gone they are gone.

For those interested in doing some added damping ect to the PE cabinets this info will also be provided on the DVD.You will need 3 sheets of the damper per cabinet and a single sheet of the foam single layer 3/4".
Below I have shown a picture inside the PE cabinet with the damper sheets added as well as the foam.Notice the direct reflection points have foam on them.
As well the back wall is not covered 100% as the crossovers fit on the rear wall or rear side wall.Or ported design.

More info to follow ;)

The Wavecor was purchased on a limited quantity to match the inventory of the WR125STR for this design. No super cheap tweeter but rather a very good quality tweeter to match the mtm for low distortion as well as keeping very good dispersion.

Final acoustic measurements I will have in the next day for the sealed monitor then I am moving onto the wall mounted version..

Last edited by a moderator:
Below is the 0 to 40 off axis measurements for the WR.30 speaker
Very good off axis response.
Over all + - 5db with a sensitivity of 85db These measurements are for the SEALED WR.30 MTM monitor in the Parts Express .5cft cabinet lined with 3 damper sheets and 1 sheet of the 1" acoustic foam

Next crossover point shown with tweeter response ,woofer response with the summed response shown.

Over frequency response shown with DB markers showing + - frequency response below 200hz is room related responses.

Final Impedance measurements taken with Smith and Larson WT2

Sealed cabinet shown a Fs of 93hz

OK now for those looking for the wall mounted Monitor.Yes go ahead and mount the WR.30 to the wall with wall mount brackets.

Here is the frequency response 0 to 40 off axis for the WALL MOUNTED WR.30

Over all very good response for a wall mounted monitor. Acoustic measurements taken with the monitor 38" off the floor

WR.30 speaker kit for 2 speakers Price $249.00

These look fantastic for the price. Parts Express is 15 minutes north of me. I'm going Tuesday to check them out and invest in a pair...maybe.

I can then sell my Bozo speakers on Craigslist. Amateurs that see 'Bose' think they are great.

Last edited:
Below is a photo showing how the PRE Machined baffles which are included in the WR.30 kit fit onto the Parts Express cabinets both styles.

8847920335_a6dd22fed6_z.jpg

OK now the Impedance for the SLOT ported WR.30.Those not wanting to install slot ports (Slot ports have a better control) PVC ports can be used as well.

8847906123_f58fa12f59_z.jpg

Impedance measured with the SL WT2
Showing a 63hz tuning of the slot ported design.

8848522982_e5c80346dd_z.jpg

Below is the Frequency response difference between the sealed and slot ported WR.30
Note these measurements are 2 different speakers which shows very good driver consistency between the 2 responses.
Notice the Yellow line with red markers which is the Slot port design.The Slot port shows lower extension below 100hz.This is being shown to those who would be interested in more specific measurements ;)

8848064161_76141ae554_z.jpg

Hi,

I want to thank Al for his detailed work in getting these kits ready. He has taken many more pictures and these will be included in the documentation which is being worked on.

These kits make it easy for someone to buy any of the PE .50 cu ft cabinets and have a spare baffle left over for another project. If you want to build your own cabinets the baffles are ready and you could then add the PE magnetic fasten grills.

We are also going to make acoustic damping, panel damping as well as wall mount brackets available and are considering a full 5.1 setup with the SDX12 in a matching Parts Express 2 cu ft cabinet.

If you are interested in getting into this we are looking for someone to build and post and there will be a reward for that person which has yet to be determined.

More later

Bob

I realize this is an old thread ( alright , pretty old :) ) just wanted to comment on recently purchasing the WR.30 kit. I must say the quality of the components was a pleasant surprise . Possibly one of the last kits available so, I guess finally biting the bullet after 3 years may have paid off.

If the member RAW was instrumental in the design of this kit hopefully they would see this old thread resurrected. The kit hasn't been assembled yet, but I do have some questions that perhaps RAW or anyone else that has intimate knowledge would be able to answer.

Cheers.

On to the questions, hopefully someone can provide answers.

#1 - regarding the parallel configuration of the two WR25STR . According to specs. and the T/S parameters these are 16 ohm drivers ( Re 14 ohms ). The cross over filter for these include a RC resonant filter for impedance equalization ( a.k.a. Zobel ).
Since the drivers are wired in a parallel configuration the RC components should be calculated for each driver if I'm not mistaken.

From the values of the RC components supplied they appear to equate to the value of ~ 16 ohms instead of the ~ 8 ohms.
As it stands:
C= 10uf
R = 15 ohms

Shouldn't the value of R = ~8 ohms ?

#2 - From what I'm able to determine the system cross over frequency is designed for 2000hz.
The low frequency filter is a 1st order supplied 1.8mh inductor.
From my calculations this has confused me in that I calculated this inductor would filter at ~ 1400hz for 16 ohm impedance.

However, the two drivers are used in a parallel for ~ 8 ohm impedance and that would move the filtering at ~700hz.

Does this seem off ?

#3 - The tweeter used is the Wavecor TW030WA01-01 rated 4 ohm impedance. From what I understand the layout of the high frequency filter is 3rd order .
The components supplied and laid out ... starting from input to output ...

R1 = 10 ohm
C1 = 4.7uf
L1 = .33uh
C2 = 8.2uf
R2 = 3 ohm

I'm assuming R1 & R2 are for attenuation and not in a typically used L pad configuration.

When I do a calculation for 3rd filter at 2000hz with the 4 ohm impedance without attenuation ...

C1 = 13.26uf
L1 = 0.24mh
C2 = 39.79uf

Component values are not even close.

Calculations for 1400hz without attenuation ...

C1 = 18.95uf
L1 = 0.34mh
C2 = 56.84uf

The inductor L1 matches but C1 & C2 are not close.

Now, for giggles , calculations for 8 ohm impedance without attenuation ...

C1 = 4.74uf
L1 = 0.34mh
C2 = 14.21uf

These component values appear to be more in line, though at 2800hz.

Which leads me to wonder if the high frequency filter was designed for an 8 ohm impedance or am I way off in thinking and my calculations ?

As mentioned earlier I haven't assembled anything yet and hoping to avoid any extra work taking things apart and reassembling . ;)

Any input is greatly appreciated. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.