• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Looking for LD25x impressions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've used it in a waveguide. I should say using it. The speakers are with Dave (Planet10) right now as he gives them a listen. Some changes are likely in order, but I think it's a very nice tweeter. Can cross really low with that waveguide. The thing is though, you have to cross low with that waveguide due to the size of the waveguide. Personally, it's the nicest sounding dome/waveguide I've listened to.

As for flush mounted, I never bothered to try. My personal opinion is that waveguides are the only way to go. I'd only bother with flush mounting if building a desktop 2-way and getting the drivers very close together was required. In this case, the LD25x would be quite good. I do think there are some other tweets that can take a bigger beating though that are similar. SB29 neo comes to mind. All this is based only on my measurements without listening to it flush.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The speakers are with Dave (Planet10) right now as he gives them a listen. Some changes are likely in order, but I think it's a very nice tweeter.

One of the 1st changes is forme to get all the proper bits together for the XO Ryan designed so that we can determine how much the (over 10) alligator clips affected the performance -- could be a bit, i've not even had time to take pictures. But even with the XO spread out all over the floor the combo of the waveguided tweeter & the SDX7. The waveguide pushes the XO below the super critical range and allows for a very simple HP. It means you don't use the midbass where it is weakest. The tweeter ends up havig a closer dispersion characteristic to the midbass at the XO. It means that the spectrum is more evenly divided between the 2 drivers. It looks cool.

dave

I also measured a wickedly tight impulse response. Clrealy tighter than my SB29 neo (which I consider a nearly direct competitor due to size and capability).

Bottom graph (red is LD25x)

SB29vsLD25x.png

EDIT - I agree with Dave that the best attribute is that it's very small. There are many little neo tweeters just as small, but most aren't very good. My three favourite are the Dayton ND28F-6, SB Acoustics SB29RDCN-0004, and recently the CSS LD25x. All are in different price classes and different performance standards. The ND28 is small, but needs to be crossed around 2.5khz or more imo (I put it in a 5 x 3" waveguide and got it down to 1500hz). The SB29 is a tank that can take serious abuse and has high performance on paper. The LD25x also has very high performance with incredibly low distortion and CSD, but can't take quite the abuse as the SB29 (ya, I tested it up to 128 watts, yikes!), but who needs that. And based on listening, the LD25x sounds like a seriously hifi tweeter.

All the other little neo tweeters I've used are sucky. Still haven't tried my ERT26 though. Well, I did one little thing with them, but haven't fairly evaluated them yet. And those aren't really an option anymore anyways.

Last edited:
Well FozzZ, I can't give you a lot of technical info about this tweet, but I can attest this is as Jeff Bagby said one of the lowest distortion tweeters he has ever measured.

Surely low distortion has already been mentioned here, but I just want to let you know "my impression".

First, I am not knowledgeable of measurements, just what my sensitive ears hear and the high end with distortion, such as violins/pianos/concerts are just too unbearable.

I built the Triton designed by Jeff and am currently experimenting with Al's crossover. I build it as a tower with the base the same size.

CSS's drivers used in this are excellent and all that I read about them is very true and in my case it is what my ears hear. For example I never use listen to music because it is too mundane/unexciting.....until I discovered high end sounding drivers.

Things changed, thus my first speakers...From Onkyo to Infinity Primus, then Dennis Murphy, CAOW1s to Philharmonic 2s with center for theater, then the Philharmonitor 2 for 2 channel.

All Dennis' have Seas/Fountek/RAAL and Hiquphon tweets, all excellent tweets with his excellent designs. These sound great with the proper equipment and I did not have enough to make them shine properly.

My friend talked me into building the Tritons as the reviews were very good. I am glad I did and still discovering this tweeter's performance to amaze me every time I listen.

Highly recommended....and can't wait for my next build using the waveguide.

Thanks!

response to FozzZ

I have been part of the group that has been designing the new VX.1 and VX.2 speakers. I have been in the audiophile community for some 40 years and in that time I have auditioned many loudspeakers and high end equipment. I must say that to me certainlt one of the best speakers I have ever listened to has to be the new VX.2! It simply is able to retrieve detail, honesty and integrity to the original source material that I have not experienced with any other speaker, and I mean very high end speakers that I have had the pleasure of auditioning. I hear details with this speaker that just can't be described. I don't know why I am hearing these refinements, but I do know what I am hearing.

I have been part of the group that has been designing the new VX.1 and VX.2 speakers. I have been in the audiophile community for some 40 years and in that time I have auditioned many loudspeakers and high end equipment. I must say that to me certainlt one of the best speakers I have ever listened to has to be the new VX.2! It simply is able to retrieve detail, honesty and integrity to the original source material that I have not experienced with any other speaker, and I mean very high end speakers that I have had the pleasure of auditioning. I hear details with this speaker that just can't be described. I don't know why I am hearing these refinements, but I do know what I am hearing.

Hum could swear that I did the vx.1 and vx.2 designs for Bob all by myself. Sure I spent several days working on the cabinets slot ports then got into the crossover design process. That was a few weeks for each several listening times then I re did the crossovers over and over threw this process till I was happy with the results.

Then add in all the measurements documentation photos needed . Did I say I. Again..

Hum could swear that I did the vx.1 and vx.2 designs for Bob all by myself. Sure I spent several days working on the cabinets slot ports then got into the crossover design process. That was a few weeks for each several listening times then I re did the crossovers over and over threw this process till I was happy with the results.

Then add in all the measurements documentation photos needed . Did I say I. Again..

Just to clarify, JJ has been part of the listening and evaluation of the new CSS drivers and kits from the beginning and was helpful in my early experiments with what became the VX.1. He is not a designer but wants to learn and has excellent listening skills.

Bob

JJ was right about this......"best speakers I have ever listened to have to be the new VX.2! It simply is able to retrieve detail, honesty and integrity to the original source material that I have not experienced with any other speaker":D:D:D

Ok, FYI I like these speakers!!!!! I concede.....to accept as true, valid, and accurate!!!

Jus sayin!!!!:p

And, Al you certainly have proven yourself with me. Can't wait to hear the results of the new CSS designs!!! :worship:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.