• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Testing Mark Fenlon's Tweeter No 3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

We began some testing yesterday using the tweeter sitting loosely on top of a 21 litre ported cabinet with 2 EL70s per side. While this wouldn't normally be the way this would be used (MTM is probably the way to go) it was the quickest setup to experiment with. I used a 3 dB pad and a 5 KHz 1st order crossover with parts to hand.

The first listener thought the setup sounded pretty good and is willing to do some more testing down the road with his own systems which include a variety of CSS and Mark Audio drivers.

Later in the day the second listener didnn't have a problem with the smoothness of the tweeter's response but was hearing something in the imaging which he didn't like. After listening to the EL70s by themselves he concluded that the 5 KHz crossover was too low and was not allowing the best out of the EL70s.

We will try the following in the next week:

1. Go higher with the crossover to at least 7.5 KHz, perhaps also letting the EL70s play full range and just bring in the tweeter for upper "air".
2. Test with other single drivers like the FR125SR, the EL70, CHR70, Alpair 10 with a view to finding good combinations for future "2-way" kits that are planned.

Stay tuned.

Bob

Last edited:
Hi Bob,

Thank you for sharing what you've found so far. It sure is a nice looking tweeter, and what impressive extension! Will you be conducting any distortion measurements?

Jim

Jim,

I don't have that capability yet. As there is further worldwide exposure I'm sure we'll get someone doing it, though budget components don't often attract that sort of attention. Got the latest issue of Hobby Hi-Fi yesterday and their testing of tweeters costing from 48 to 430 Euros makes interesting reading. I guarantee that Mark's tweeter has a much smoother response curve than many of those.

Bob

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Jim,

I don't have that capability yet. As there is further worldwide exposure I'm sure we'll get someone doing it, though budget components don't often attract that sort of attention. Got the latest issue of Hobby Hi-Fi yesterday and their testing of tweeters costing from 48 to 430 Euros makes interesting reading. I guarantee that Mark's tweeter has a much smoother response curve than many of those.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Well they sure look interesting so far. Hobby Hi-Fi, huh? That sounds like a useful publication - do they post up distortion plots and that sort of thing as well? I love reading reviews, but Zaph can only come out with them so quickly hehe. Wow, 430 Euros.... ouch!

Thanks again for the comments, I might have to pick up a pair to play around with.

Jim

Hi Bob,

Well they sure look interesting so far. Hobby Hi-Fi, huh? That sounds like a useful publication - do they post up distortion plots and that sort of thing as well? I love reading reviews, but Zaph can only come out with them so quickly hehe. Wow, 430 Euros.... ouch!

Thanks again for the comments, I might have to pick up a pair to play around with.

Jim

Hi,

Both of the German magazines are way beyond AudioXpress or even the old Speaker Builder. I just wish we had something like that here in NA. My German isn't quite good enough to get everything but the tests are consistant and so comparisons can be made.

Bob

Update

Hi,

Mark Audio is completing the first production run of the new tweeter which will be marketed as the CSS Extended Range Tweeter (ERT26). I hope to have stock after Easter.

The budget 6.5" will follow about a month later and this will be known as the CSS EL166 and will be available in both black and white cones.

Details to follow so stay tuned. There will be a number of kits and combos!

Bob

Fonken w. FR125Sr & tweet..

Hi everyone.
My first build(soon to be finished - oiled ++). In a Fonken and an Harman HK980, Squeezbox touch, DacMagic. My Infinity Delta50 has NEVER been able to deliver such realistic soundscapes and touching BASS - from such small enclosure.
Just BIG and really involving.
Difficult building - but the rewards - fantastic.
Wonder what next to build instead of my old Delta(have to sell them cheap)

Greetings

Olav

Attachments

• FR125-ERT26-fonken.JPG
    FR125-ERT26-fonken.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 644
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.