• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

EL70s have arrived!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The large shipment arrived today so we have begun filling orders. There are a number of kit packages available and this is the best way to buy these. If there's something in the kit you don't want to use just set it aside for another project.

There are a large number of DIY build plans available which will eventually be put on CD. They will also be downloadable from the website.

Bob

One thing about the EL70 though...

I don't know how to explain it but i will try to...

When i was cutting the hole for the driver i realised it had to be VERY exact at the place where the basket is like getting bigger at the locations of the screw holes. So the screw holes get really close to the mounting hole and it actually happened to me that the screw hole went in the mounting hole so that screw became sort of useless.
And it's also impossible to use these:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

And it would also be good to send one extra screw with the drivers, i had lost one and i was searching for hours after it.

But overall i am very satisfied with my EL70 in the Mar-Kel70 cabinet.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
^Get ready. Those EL70's will knock your socks off. The bass produced by them is chilling. I had to move them to a larger room because it was just too much.

Da Ya mean this one???? Suggest room treatment for dungeon rooms as the solid rock walls tend to make for a rather "live" sound. At times it can sound as if the speakers are actually screaming at you. :eek:

Attachments

• dungeon.jpg
    dungeon.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 603
These drivers are interesting. In my Mar-Kel70 they produce bass that gives me headache and the cone isn't even moving anything at all!

Playing some Deadmau5 and i can play loud with lots of bass and the cone is barely moving. There is no "physical" bass but not 4" driver has that.

I say it again, these drivers are awesome for all sorts of music (maybe not the very heaviest, darkest deathmetal).

I have a question about the datasheet. I just measured mine (well, mine are a prototype) and I get very similar TSPs. Much closer than most manufacturers!!! However, Fs is 64hz but the impedance sweep on the data sheet shows it closer to 97hz. Perhaps the wrong impedance curve? Or do I not understand. Thanks.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Using the typical kit us diyers use to measure T/S has us measuring on a different part of the T/S curves.

I am now convinced that if what we measure is close to the factory (measured using LEAP or LMS) then that just means that the T/S curves are closer to horizontal.

Dan Wiggins has talked about this forever. It really struck home when Mark measured a set of FE127eN i sent him. Measures attached are for the same driver(s) just measured with different kit (and likely different weather conditions)

It really leaves a coundrum as to which parameters to use when designing. I typically use the numbers from the factory.

Looking at my measured EL70 data, i do see that i am measuring Fs between 70 & 75. Did you say that the set you got were a set of protos?

dave

Attachments

• Fenlon-FE127-measures.gif
    Fenlon-FE127-measures.gif
    7.2 KB · Views: 348
I got an Fs of 72hz. I meant the spec sheet says 64hz, but the impedance curve on the same spec sheet says 97hz. That is, if you define Fs as the impedance peak.

I consider an Fs within 10hz of factory spec to be very good, as I measure with low voltage, rather than factories use high voltage. Therefore I get a higher Fs usually. Like you say Dave.

So my enquiry isn't about my measured differences, rather the conflict on the spec sheet.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Now i see what you are talking about.

Not the wrong impedance curve, just that it didn't get grabbed when the graph was moved on the page, you can see that the start of th eimp curve is not at 0 (the document is over 10 layers in Illustrator).

I have fixed the doc and put it here. Bob can download and replace his. I have left the name the same so any external links should still work

http://p10hifi.net/planet10/CSS/EL70/CSS-EL70-data-080909.pdf

Thanx for the QC Ryan.

dave

Attachments

• el70-graph.gif
    el70-graph.gif
    15.5 KB · Views: 340
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The EL70 excels in larger boxes. Half MicroTower (microTower for that matter) and mMar-KEL0 are pretty small.

Some of those 13 plansets have more than 1 design (7 in the Lake District). It also works (very well) in Frugel-Horn Mk3.

p10 hifi | Box Library / CSS

One thing missing is the CGR Mar-Kel70.

And then there are the paid plans, which include updated Mar-Kels (including 2 versions of the floorstander) and Maeshowe (it is not small).

dave

fakeout:

I doubt anyone has heard every single enclosure to which this driver is well suited, but I have heard a few myself - if you have the floorspace, the Castle version of micro-tower is a knock-out with dual EL70s per side. If size is an issue, the most compact enclosure that I'd recommend for them would be :

http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/FAL/downloads/mMar-Kel70-1v0-map-231009.pdf

The larger Mar-Kel70 is definitely a better performer, but not easiest for a first build

http://creativesound.ca/pdf/Mar-Kel70-1v01f-map-110410.pdf

Thanks for the suggestion. I realized I could maybe accomodate the Mar-Kel70 by putting them under my monitor (like having a board on top of the speakers to support the monitor instead of having them right underneath the monitor which would require even smaller cabinets). (I have one computer where I stand up so my monitor is close to my head.)

I feel like experimenting with even smaller designs though, who knows, maybe try various designs with cardboard although I'm not sure it will give me a real clue as to what the sound would be with birch plywood. In any case, I know I don't want to bother my neighbor too much with Earth-shattering bass of a large back loaded horn or something like that. I once heard him yelling out loud (through the walls) that he had no control over cocaine. You never know what this guy might do when he's "emotional". lol, not that I don't think I can handle the guy, just that you'd never know what he'd be capable of... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.