Curlly Formica, how to flatten it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you are using a contact adhesive, it shouldn't matter as that will hold it down and stick like sh!t to a blanket.

You just have to make sure that it's pressed down firmly by pushing it down by a towelling covered pad or a covered block and a rubber hammer.

yes, I mean Formica laminate. And I'll use contact cement, cos I don't have large enough clamp....

Thanks for the tips.

Attachments

• wooferbox3.jpg
    wooferbox3.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 370
Sticking laminate down when it is curly is very tricky.

Contact adhesive will keep it in place no problem, but it's very awkward to get it in the right position, particularly if it is covered in contact adhesive. You need to get it flat.

I find careful application of a hairdrier to soften it and gentle bending in the reverse direction will give you a nice flat sheet. Just take it easy and make sure you don't burn or crak it and it works every time.

I lay bamboo garden canes every few inches over the surface I'm sticking to. Then you can get the formica located as you want it. Then you remove the canes (or dowels) one by one from the centre to exclude air bubbles. Job done apart from trimming it with a router.

you could maybe use a hydraulic jack, sometimes you get them cheap for 10-15€. often they can do around 10 tons. you*d need 2 plates to get it flat.
but be careful- dont press the stuff against the livingroom floor or there is no more floor. you*d need an iron frame if you have the facility.

Attachments

• wagenheber.jpg
    wagenheber.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 272
I'm actually a new member. I have a good solution to straightening curved sheets of Formica which I have certainly experienced as have several others and thought it might help to share it. That some members have never experienced this problem is good for them and I rejoice at their good fortune, but it doesn't alter the fact that others HAVE.

As to covering speakers with Formica or any other laminate I wouldn't do it. There is always the possibility of an area not adhering which might well vibrate at certain frequencies, but there might be other reasons for doing it.

As it happens, I have little interest in HiFi. I just happened to notice someone here with a problem and thought I might help. Probably pointless now, I agree, but no less pointless than worrying about speaker leads introducing 0,001% distortion when the speakers are introducing around 5% I wouldn't have thought!

But if that - or making snarky remarks about other peoples posts - turns you on, good for you. Each to his own. I'm out of here.

Formica can shrink a little and explains curling. In the cabinet industry you must do both sides equally with similiar material unless you want a curved door over time for example. Seen it many times from people who don’t know this will happen
Severe curling means it’s been sitting there along time rolled up as opposed to new sheets getting ready for installation that are flat and new.
The face print to its backing material starts to counteract and you get this Curl condition. Disimliar material shrinkage..

A speaker cabinet is well braced internally so you will not see this happen because of the rigidity, but how you would flatten a sheet is with strong lacquer based roll on glue to both sides.
A rubber hand held roller is what industry uses in rolling it tight to its surface, followed up by a roller bearing trim router and file.
You can forget actually trying to flatten a sheet by itself, just use the glue to do its job. It will work out well and stay that way

Regards
David

When it's been rolled up for a while of course it will take on the curve. You can gently unroll it over a couple days and use a hairdryer and ballast to bring it back to 'close enough'

Another way to place the formica it is to use two layers of newspaper for a bond breaker. Then you only need a very small overlap to router off later. Good if you're tight on material.

EDIT: I took a long time to type and I see AVWERK has chimed in. :)

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> use two layers of newspaper for a bond breaker

Do not understand.

I have three rolls of Wilsonart which have been rolled-up in a woodshed since the 1980s. They unroll to a strong curl. An hour on a hot driveway took some of this out. When cut to sizes (largest 57"x42") the curl looks manageable, using scrap plastic pipe as stickers. Gonna try that tomorrow. But wondering how newspapers come into it.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
When the glue dries lay down two layers of.paper on the lower piece...
I am hoping formica is the same as.we.call.arborite.

Seems like the newspaper would stick? No, because not pre-coated? I guess I can try; I am starting on the bottom and a $#@!-up there won't show.

Arborite appears to be a Canadian company and products. Their countertop material seems to be functionally interchangeable with Formica or WilsonArt. It may be a child of past tax/customs barriers. It may thrive though free-trade periods because of happy distribution channels and local preference.

After some warm days (what we call hot), the curl is entirely manageable.

Attachments

• stuffed-minivan.jpg
    stuffed-minivan.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 183
  • curlyWilsonArt.jpg
    curlyWilsonArt.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 159
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.