What should be done as part of an "Inspection & Service" for an amplifier?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi SoaDMTGguy,
Thanks, but ...

When you touch something, you own it. The car included. You sell a car and your work fails, you are responsible. If you replaced a shock and it failed causing an accident, you're in line for blame. The manufacturer will try and claim it was improperly installed and you would have to prove it wasn't. When you do work on anything, by virtue of you doing the work you accept responsibility for your workmanship. Whether you feel it is right or wrong, that is the law in most places.

Amplifiers don't generally burn (but I have seen it), however many speakers burn quite well. So your work could conceivably burn down a house and kill people. I have refused to repair amplifiers in the past because the design was very poor and they did not use any form of speaker protection. Even a fuse is not what I would call speaker protection. I do not like Adcom amplifiers and a few other brands for that reason. Carver amplifiers at least have an excellent shut down system, so those are normally okay. Still not happy they don't have an actual output relay or clamp triac. Many "high end" amplifiers are not designed well, and do not use any form of speaker protection, just an FYI.

-Chris

I’m sorry for being defensive, I’ve just never, ever, heard of any such liability. At most I could imagine the customer initiating an eBay return or PayPal dispute for the item being “not as described”. But I’ve never heard of an implied warrantee, guarantee, or assumption of liability for modifying or repairing an item and then selling it.

So, I’m just really confused :confused:

Last edited:
This thread is a complete dumpster fire and most of you are doing nothing but making the forum look bad with these ridiculous responses to the OP. There are simply not enough techs in California for the amount of audio equipment there is. If the man wants to learn how to fix an amp, don’t stand in his way.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
SoaDMTGguy,
Are you flipping kidding me???? Get bloody real man!

Look, I have done enough work for you firstly. I sure as heck am not going to debate this with you, and I am not going to do your due diligence!

Why aren't you responsible for your actions? News flash, you are. You do something wrong, it is no one else's fault but your own. You have to stand up and be responsible for your own actions. You can't put it off on someone else.

With that attitude, I am done talking to you.

-Chris

I don’t even know what law I’m supposed to look up. Even housing law seems to state that as long as you disclose everything factual and sell the property “as is”, you can’t be held liable. Private car sales advice sites say the same thing. I’m trying to understand what you’re taking about, because as far as I’ve always understood, private sales are “as is” unless stated otherwise. Maybe if you’re a shop there’s an implied guarantee? I feel like I’m being accused of committing a crime and I don’t know what it is.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi hadley,
Well, news flash. I do get repairs from California and I am in Ontario Canada. I know you have some good service technicians there & I know some. However what you also have, like we do here, is an ever increasing number of hacks that destroy equipment.

The very last thing anyone needs is to increase the number of hacks in any market. I recognise the attitude with the OP, and it isn't good. For you I guess its all about getting a cheap repair. That is until your gear is destroyed by a hack. Then who will you complain to? Would you turn the other cheek, or try to take them to court? I think I know the answer.

Good technicians are created. They receive formal training, then they are taught by experienced good technicians for years. Hopefully they can receive factory training as well. I trained many over my career and some people just don't make the cut. Attitude is key.

The OP received very good advice. Then he was told he is responsible for his work, that's all, and he has a problem with that. You tell me what the problem is, I'd love to hear a reasonable response.

You seem to think I’m trying to impersonate something I’m not. I’m sorry if I gave that impression, because it’s not what I’m trying to do *at all*. If I have an amp that I got and know nothing about it and sell it “as is”, that’s fine, right? If I have an amplifier and I replace one capacitor and sell the amplifier “as is”, is that also fine? If I change something am I no longer allowed to sell it “as is”?

SoaDMTGguy,
Are you flipping kidding me???? Get bloody real man!

Look, I have done enough work for you firstly. I sure as heck am not going to debate this with you, and I am not going to do your due diligence!

Why aren't you responsible for your actions? News flash, you are. You do something wrong, it is no one else's fault but your own. You have to stand up and be responsible for your own actions. You can't put it off on someone else.

With that attitude, I am done talking to you.

-Chris

Actually, I think it's time for you to get real. How much time have you wasted posting mostly nonsense the last three days? A lot clearly, yet maybe 5% of what you've said here has any kind of value, and much of what you've said is simply wrong. You clearly do not have an understanding of US law.

If the original poster wants to attempt to fix an amp, maybe replace some capacitors and note in his listing that he is inexperienced but as far as he knows the work is done correctly and the amplifier works, there is nothing wrong with that.

If you're unwilling to completely answer the question the OP originally asked (no one here has), don't answer it; it's quite simple. No need to waste your time and his with a bunch of nonsense like being an amp tech is some kind of rocket science. It's simply not. Neither is plumbing or any of the other blue collar services people charge far too much for. This didn't need to turn into a moral debate. The guy clearly just wants to learn. If he wanted to defraud someone, he'd just copy and paste another fraudster's listing notes and use them for himself.

Thanks Hadley. I guess I came across as trying to impersonate a professional technician and claim if “tested and verified” that the amp was “working correctly”. I tried to clarify, both in my original post with edits, and in my comments… I’ve sold a couple things in eBay before where I just said “Did XYZ, it’s working great, I’ve been using it for a couple of weeks without any issues”. I made this thread because I wanted to get *better*, do *better* work, not scam people. I’m still confused about why it turned into such a **** show. No one wanted to explain what the problem was or actually address my comments, just tell me I’m a bad bad person.

Yes, you did offer help. You were actually the only person in the thread to offer any help. Those comments have been very helpful.

As far as I know the us no law in the US about selling something that’s been modified or repaired. If someone has a problem with something I’ve sold, I’d be happy to help them out with it, depending on the nature of the issue. Are you saying that, if I work on something, I should always offer an explicit warranty? Would it be ok to sell something “as is” at a lower price?

I don’t know how to get out of this situation. Anything I say you get mad at me. :confused:

The proper way to have gone about this is not to have expressed the intent to sell the amplifier. If you want to learn how to fix an amplifier, there are plenty of people who will walk you through it, but if they're a tech, they're going to have a problem (as you've seen) with you selling that amplifier even if you don't make any claims.

I coincidentally know who you are so I'm going to leave this alone because you are exasperating and I can understand the frustration here from others with you. I don't understand how you so effectively bait people across multiple platforms into wasting their time responding to you about various topics when you clearly have no idea what it is about yourself that rubs people the wrong way so often. Among other things, I would suggest you focus on one of your other hobbies unless you're actually committed to focusing on this and eventually buying the necessary equipment once you've firmly grasped the basics. The cost will be $thousands and learning the basics of this skill takes hundreds of hours of study and work, which you should do first so you can determine if you even want to bother. I could tell you what equipment you need, but even if you had it all, you wouldn't be able to use most of it.

Last edited:
committed on focusing on this and eventually buying the necessary equipment once you've firmly grasped the basics. The cost will be thousands and learning the basics of this skill takes hundreds of hours of study and work.

That’s what I’m actively trying to do.

-

The proper way to have gone about this is not to have expressed the intent to sell the amplifier. If you want to learn how to fix an amplifier, there are plenty of people who will walk you through it, but if they're a tech, they're going to have a problem (as you've seen) with you selling that amplifier even if you don't make any claims.

So, I work on an amp, try things, learn things. I finish, it seems to work correctly. I use I myself in different applications, it works fine. But I don’t need it. Can I sell it? With any description?