Flat box design

Hi, do you mean one box for both channels? Or are you thinking about some bluetooth thingy?
The basics on this matter suggests to use one channel per ear, and since we have two ears...?!
Tall boxes are meant for keeping the ear, when you seat on a chair/sofa, at the same height of the speaker, particularly the treble section ( tweeter, or the speaker itself, if a fullrange is used) because of its directionality/beaming characteristic; otherwise you'd miss some treble ( - not true, since the two speakers located in front of you do make a diffuse soundfield :cool:)

About wasting time, it's about 30 years that I apply myself to speaker design, not much lately...I have some phono stages scrapped from old amplifiers ( japanese ones ) that need PSUs and case.

nope
I mean 2 speakers per box since I got 4 left over that I have no real use for
I was thinking of an arrangement like this where the port is at the top
would that work?

_________....________
I.....__................__.......I
I.../......\............/......\....I
I...\___/............\___/....I
I...........I...........I...........I
I__________________I

I was thinking about something like that
evidently, this did not work very well, strong resonance at 210Hz
Box too small or wrong design?
or just everything wrong?

20211026-123546.jpg

The fact is that the wood panels are too thin.
Sound radiates through them. End of game!

Ps. Some amount of 'sound deadener' like anything with fabric but fluffy, is always to be considered when closing a box.
I mean, that hollow space is a 'welcome' for every trouble that may happen

Last edited:
I was thinking about adding some bitumen lining or something(got a few rolls left over) and maybe some structural reinforcements
the end result isn't supposed to be great, just ok
but right now it's terrible ^^'

I got cotton and polyester somewhere, wich is better for speakers?
what about the baffles(or whatever you call the things at the bottom)
good/bad or needs more or less?

The baffle is recognized universally to be the structure (panel) that holds the speaker(s)
Your design is: a chamber and some duct. (multiplied x 2)
It can be seen as a resonant volume, like bass reflex, or a transmission line.
The TL is not resonant but the lenght of the line determines how the mass of air inside the pipe couples to the movement of the cone ( till a certain frequency).
whatever...
Some amount of damping is needed. Natural felt ( in various geometries, not just a flat sheet ) is the best acoustic material, but inside a woofer chamber is wasted ( because of the high cost). I find in auto/body shops the compound of bitumen sheet + fabric waste ( 2-3 mm bitumen, 10 mm f.w.) that works in some light enclosures. But still, it does not guarantee the 'soundproofness' of a box.

Funny, my latest creations were some sort of TL with a chamber that bifurcates at some point. I never use double speakers for the same range ( of frequencies), they might be allowed just for bass...