Wiring a passive attenuator - questions about the "why"

I'm somewhat confused

Hey folks, I've read some NP articles and other instructions on wiring passive attenuators, and I've built amplifiers and preamplifiers before. I've used the search function and still haven't found the answer I'm looking for so I'm asking here. Usually when this happens I just don't have the vocabulary to search properly, so thanks in advance for your patience.

So I'm wiring an Alps RK27 100k audio potentiometer as a simple passive attenuator because it's useful to have around. With the DIYAudio RK27 breakout board, the wiring is inline like this:

My questions is... why? Why is it wired like this?

Why not wire things up like a variable resistor to ground like at the front end of an amplifier input like this:

Wondering if someone can explain the design elements behind this instead of just "wire this here".

Thanks for helping me learn.

I always thought that Volume controls are used Clockwise to attenuate and counterclockwise to de attenuate.
If my information is correct then both of the drawings are Wrong..

The Volume controls I know are Pin 1= GND, Pin 2= Output and Pin 3= Input
This from left to right..

Hope this helps to clear up the smoke because connecting it that way will neither have distortion nor smoke..
My 2 cents

Last edited:
Joined 2011
The normal convention is:
Clockwise = less attenuation
Counterclockwise = more attenuation.

Slide pots often work vertically, with less attenuation going up.

The second drawing cannot work at all unless the source has a
series resistor, or is a current source (not a voltage source).

Last edited:

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I always thought that Volume controls are used Clockwise to attenuate and counterclockwise to de attenuate....

The direction of "less" is utterly arbitrary.

Radio volume controls usually: counterclockwise for less.

However gas flame cooker, usually clockwise for less.

Hot And Cold Water faucets often go both ways. Single faucets usually clockwise for less (uses a right hand thread, avoiding using the reverse gear on the lathe).

My electric cooker has "less" both ways even on the same knob (too complex for me).

The direction of "clockwise" is of course also arbitrary. I have a clock made to run backward. I had a clock that liked to run backward half the time. I have seen a town clock with two faces simple-geared so one face ran backward.

As I wrote: I used the wrong word - and I'm correcting myself herewith
It should read either one of these here:
This for Audio Output
1: Increase Level, Signal, Volume, Output
2: Decrease Level, Signal, Volume, Output
3. Accelerate - But I think this is not used in audio
@PRR, for the rest I'm on your side, even personally do not use a gas stove, still you are right there..
Guys hang in there..
Chris