Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

NAD 214 - Convert from 240 VAC to 120 VAC
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th September 2021, 06:11 PM   #1
Luuix is offline Luuix
diyAudio Member

Default NAD 214 - Convert from 240 VAC to 120 VAC

Hello all!

I have a small project to convert a NAD 214 from 240 VAC to 120 VAC. I do have the schematics and skill to do this but also have the following questions:

1. What gauge should the new power cord be since now it will drawing twice the current, the fuse needs to be upgraded to double the capacity?

2. I plan to use US plugs of which i have a choice of: a plug with one of the spades which is wider than the other: this spade should be the neutral? And, I would be happier to use a three prong with a physical ground wire. Any thoughts on either one?

3. The unit has been in a box for a decade and a half and find it prudent to change the capacitors: is there any place where a capacitor kit be available or, would someone suggest a brand(s) I should stick with?

I thank in advance any input the members may provide, I am eager to get this guy up and running again!

Best,

Luuix
Old 27th September 2021, 03:25 AM   #2
NareshBrd is offline NareshBrd  India
diyAudio Member

Use an external step down transformer of the correct rating if there are no jumpers inside.
Converter plugs are available, sometimes as travel plugs.
Normal plugs and wires are 5A/250V = 1250W, don't bother about wire capacity.
Old 27th September 2021, 04:50 AM   #3
jean-paul is offline jean-paul  Netherlands
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

No, better remove jumper J501 and place a jumper J502. Then it is a 115V device

Replacing the caps is a good thing as these NADs are known for bad cap quality. Also known for bad soldering so resoldering is also a good thing.
Old 27th September 2021, 10:37 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Any good brand of capacitor will work, get 105 degree capacitors, if possible of a slightly higher voltage rating.
Use regular, not fancy audio special, capacitors.

Famous and reliable brands, as below:

Panasonic, Nichicon, Nippon Con-Chemie, Elna, Rubycon, Taicon, Vishay, Sprague , Wilma, get whichever are easily available in your area.

Buy from a reputed seller, and do not use Chinese, Keltron from India is good, may not be sold in your area.

Last edited by NareshBrd; 27th September 2021 at 10:52 AM.
Old 8th October 2021, 10:38 AM   #5
nigelwright7557 is offline nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Not sure if a dodgy capacitor or someone wanted to keep the old can when replacing.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 8th October 2021, 10:49 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

2200 in place of 6800uF?
Incompetent, to put it mildly...
Old 8th October 2021, 10:53 AM   #7
MikePP is offline MikePP
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelwright7557 View Post
Not sure if a dodgy capacitor or someone wanted to keep the old can when replacing.

Click the image to open in full size.

Nooooooo

Thats' downright dodgy , what imbecile would do such a thing.... a conman that's who
Old 8th October 2021, 08:50 PM   #8
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelwright7557 View Post
That picture has been around more than a decade. Before Asian auction sellers there were a couple of brands of "replacement parts", which mostly sorta worked, but were not always as labeled. MASTER was one of them. Someone claimed he noticed this can rattled, cut it open, and posted this image. Its veracity has never been proven.

Posted 2011, attributed to "someone".

Last edited by PRR; 8th October 2021 at 08:54 PM.
Old 9th October 2021, 02:50 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

What is even more stupid is that he used Rubycon instead of generic Chinese.
Here our fraudsters remove the sleeves, and put new sleeves with a more reputed brand.
Happens in Keltron too, our traders know which are not available, so if I show them those, they are like Keltron does not make those...
No idea if Master is famous...the faker could have put no name Chinese inside...without sleeves.
  Reply to this post

NAD 214 - Convert from 240 VAC to 120 VACHide this!Advertise here!