XLR ground - Pin, spring or both?

Hi all,

Just wondering what the normal practice is for connecting an XLR cable?

In particular how you connect the ground. Ignoring the shield for a moment, there are two ground connectors. There's the pin and there's usually a connection for the plug casing if it's metal.

What is considered good practice? Ignore the casing? Connect both?

Thank you.

Hi sorry for asking here. I ve good a three core cable (Ramm Elite 8) with the three conductors and a wire connected to the shield. Id like to assemble a XLR cable using EIZZ connectors; they just have three pins and no possibility to connect the shield wire to the connector shell ground.
What should I do?
Connect the shell wire together with the signal ground, to the connector pin?
Try to solder a jumper to the shell internal surface, so that I can connect it to the shield wire?
Buy another set of XLR plugs with a specific hole accepting the shield wire?
Thanks in advance

Normally in the cables, the shield is connected to pin 1, hot to pin 2, cold to pin 3 and nothing to the shell. Inside AES-48 compliant equipment, pin 1 is connected straight to the shell and the chassis.

It's a bit strange, because it means that when you connect two cables rather than a cable to equipment, the shells are not connected to anything at the point where you connect one cable to the next. I've also noticed that inside some vintage Sennheiser MD-21 microphones, the case is not connected, so I used to short pin 1 to the shell in cables meant to be used with an MD-21.

Thanks for your reply. I don't understand. My cable has three wires (hot, cold, neutral) + shield wire. Shoud I connect it to the neutral pin, together with neutral wire? I don't think so. Id rather connect it to the chassis ground through the connector shell; unfortunately ther's no way to connect this wire to the shell.
Some xlr plug have a hole for the shield wire; mine, the Eizz one, has no holes.
Regards

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
What is your application, knowing that would be helpful. Microphone, line level and AES I/O may treat pin 1 and shell differently. I unfortunately have to deal with all 3 in my home system which runs AES for digital, balanced for Audio, and phantom power for measurement microphones. Cables rarely use the shell, but bulkhead connectors generally make a provision for grounding them if desired. (Should be to chassis.)