First attempt at reflow soldering

No hot air not solder paste, just my soldering tip, plenty of flux and 0,5 mm.soldering wire.

Attachments

• IMG_20210501_124015.jpg
    IMG_20210501_124015.jpg
    583.9 KB · Views: 110
I tried again today, using the paste onto the pins not the pads and a hand iron. Sadly one side is out of line with the pads, so might not work.

I'm just hoping two out of the four work okay, I will go over them pin by pin with the multimeter.

Attachments

• DSC00432.jpg
    DSC00432.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC00433.jpg
    DSC00433.jpg
    938.2 KB · Views: 96

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Fluxite may be a brand-range as well as a specific product. But the classic Fluxite is clearly an acid based "Plumber's" flux. If you brought it through the gate at RCA Computers in the 1960s you would be fired on the spot. It eats wires (pipes not so much).

There are special tips,made for this method. They have a concave area at the tip to hold a pool of solder.I took a very good smd soldering course way back and that is what we used,they work very well.Make sure and use flux,always.

Yes, the tip is the secret sauce (plus the flux). With a standard tip it doesn't work. The concave "hole" in the bevel tip allows to add and remove solder at will in seconds. It's so easy it feels like cheating.

I recommend KSGER soldering iron from aliexpress, with BCM2/BCM3 tip.

Last edited:
Well it works great for PCB work, and you clean the excess off afterwards, so what's the problem?

I'm about sick of this forum, trying to get help and advice is like getting blood from a stone but there are plenty of people just dying to point out any tiny little thing you might not be doing just right.

I'm about sick of this forum, trying to get help and advice is like getting blood from a stone but there are plenty of people just dying to point out any tiny little thing you might not be doing just right.

Yeah +1 the nitpickers are annoying.

That doesn't change the fact zinc chloride flux will destroy your board if not thoroughly cleaned.

Yeah, I don't use the Fluxite often and always clean any residue off with isopropyl.

I'll give you an example of the imbalance between negativity and helpfulness - at least 5 times in the last couple of weeks people have chimed in to tell me the 7805 shouldn't be used in audio in 2021. However, not one of them, when asked, has a single word to say about what I should use INSTEAD of the 7805.

This is not helpful.

at least 5 times in the last couple of weeks people have chimed in to tell me the 7805 shouldn't be used in audio in 2021.

rofl

7805 isn't special snowflake enough, too cheap, not anointed...

Modern LDOs have much lower dropout and lower idle current, but PSRR, noise and especially transient response are not necessarily better (and often worse) than the old fossil 7805... unless you pick a really good one... there is no incentive to develop a cheap mass produced high performance regulator because everyone uses switchers anyway.

> However, not one of them, when asked, has a single word to say about what I should use INSTEAD of the 7805.

For giggles, ask for "measurements to back it up" , this never fails.