Planned Stereo Build

So I'm sure a few of us have seen Guardians of The Galaxy. Remember his cassette deck on the ship? It's always been a deck I wanted to try and recreate. Here's what I'd like to do and I'd love feedback and tips from anyone passing by, I'm no expert on audio devices.

I'd like to essentially make a deck that plays my audio from my computer while displaying the VU level and one other dial I have not decided on. If it could also play a cassette that would great, but if that's too much I'll just place a cassette player in there that can spin a tape. My question is how can I use modern/cheapish products to monitor VU and other levels, display them onto dials and work well, and have a knob that just controls master volume. Basically, I'd love some recommendations as to what I can buy/make to go into a themed box (basically all it is, a fancy box). Thanks for reading and I'm looking forward to learning a few things.

Cheers!

Attaching the image! :cool:

Attachments

• Milano Tape Deck.jpg
    Milano Tape Deck.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 151
I quite literally, just ordered a board with the meters I want.

I do want to use my computer audio running through the vu meter, and then the audio comes out of the speakers. I know which slots are for each wire, but I am not 100% sure if I can have the computers audio run through the meters. If the board allows two aux ports then theoretically it should work, but I am unsure if my board has slots for two ports.

If the board doesn't support two aux ports, then is it possible that my computer can simply be plugged into my speakers on one port and the meter board on another?

Here's a link to the board I got:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08T5P16TK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here's the image for the concept with measurements correct: Attention Required! | Cloudflare

The audio doesn't run "through" the VU meter board.

You would split the audio signal so that the VU meter board runs in parallel with the amplified speakers i.e. one line to the VU board and a separate line to the speakers.

For example, say you had powered speakers plugged into the headphone out socket of your laptop - then you could split the signal at that point using a 3.5mm stereo jack headphone splitter.

Is that making any sense or am I misinterpreting the situation?

Oh that makes perfect sense! Just a small little audio splitter with both the VU meter and the speakers running into one jack port. Is that correct?

The other goal here is the cassette player. I bought an old handheld one and just plan to take it apart a little bit, basically create a cover over everything to match my style. THe handheld recorder has a plug but not sure if it has an audio jack. If it doesn't there is a speaker which perhaps I could reroute to an aux port.

Thanks for the help so far, I'm glad to be learning a little more about audio electronics

If you desire to hear the tape deck actually playing, then forget about the headphone splitter idea.

The easy option is to mount a selector switch on your themed box with which to toggle between the signal from the external computer and the signal from the internal cassette player. The selected signal can then be passed on to external, active (powered) speakers. (The VU driver board can be wired internally to respond to whichever source is selected.)

If that is not what you have in mind, then perhaps you could illustrate your requirements by drawing a block diagram.

P.S. The VU driver board that you bought has one (stereo) input (LGR).

P.P.S. The decribed arrangement does not include a "master volume" control - the volume would be controlled at the powered speakers.

Last edited:
oh! My other desired feature is for the large knob on the right to be a volume control knob (master volume). I thought about just buying a cheap knob that's premade, taking it apart, and rigging it for my build. I wouldn't mind spending a few extra bucks to avoid the hassle of making one with a rotary encoder.

Be prepared to do a lot of volume adjustment when setting the output level of both the computer and of the cassette player, as well as setting the input level of the VU driver board.

I suppose you could fit a volume control in the cable going from the selector switch OUT to the powered speakers.

However, adding the control will not be 'plug and play' like I've kept it up to now. So, how good are your soldering skills?

Soldering skills, pretty good actually

Wiring skills, decent, need visuals of what connects to what (meaning I'm stupid and need pictures sometimes if I am unsure)

I have considered doing the Microspark path for making a switch, I'd like to avoid the coding because I'm terrible at it. That's why I had mentioned buying an already made one, but eh I don't really care.